1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driveshaft Angle/MPG

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeremy_283, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Dec 5, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I put steel plate bumpers, skids, and sliders on my truck recently along with a very small lift. I just put a new scangauge on my truck and I average like 14mpg it says. I'm running the largest tires I can in an unmodified wheelwell with stock suspension and wheels.

I didn't put a carrier drop on my driveshaft (due to a 2.5" rear lift) and I have no vibration issues but could the increased angle affect my MPG that much?

2. Dec 5, 2012 at 5:47 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Are you accounting for the larger tires when the Scangauge is doing that calulation? And you do realized that adding weight to the truck will eat away at MPG quickly, right??

3. Dec 5, 2012 at 5:49 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    What size tires are you running?

4. Dec 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I'm pretty sure they are 265/75/16 Duratracs. The rear bumper didn't really add to the weight. I figured it up as probably being a 1/4 Ton of steel added to the truck. I just didn't think it would matter THAT much. I figure my tire size probably only throws the scangauge off by 1-2 mpgs but I'm no mathmatician.

5. Dec 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I think you are looking at a combination of things.

Higher unsprung weight (larger/heavier tires)
    Decreased aerodynamic efficiency (bumper and raised vehicle height)
    Increased sprung weight (armor,bumpers)

I doubt that the driveline angle is much of a contributing factor. If the rotational resistance increased all that much I would expect your U-joints to suffer from the added wear and heat.

6. Dec 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Well, you did a number of things to kill your MPG's. You have taller, heavier aggressive tread tires (I'd imagine Load Range C or D), the plate bumper, while it didn't really add much in overall weight, killed your aerodynamics, and you did add weight in armor. Combined, you get the end result of low MPG.

If you're running 265/75R16, do this next time you calculate your MPG's. 0 the trip ODO when you fill the tank up. Drive for however many miles.

Number of miles driven per ODO x 1.033 = Actual number of miles driven, corrected for taller tires.

Then divide by number of gallons used.

7. Dec 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    80% of your lost mileage is the lift and tires. You can get most of it back by regearing.

Products Discussed in

To Top