Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Muffler bearing gone bad

Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
While you're under there it's a great chance to turbo your rig!

I have always been a fan of the adjustable powerband over the Turbos. allows you to dial in the right amount of power for the situation and saves fuel.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #43
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You'll need 7 if you want a spare... A simple search would have shown you that there is one muffler bearing per cylinder. Some people just can't be helped...
That's true for 1st gen Tacos. 2nd gens with the V6 have only two muffler bearings - one per cylinder bank. See parts diagram:

Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #44
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
Is that the new closed loop system I heard about?
Yep. 100% back pressure so no torque is being wasted in the low end.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #45
U-member
olouieo is on a distinguished road
Name: Louis
olouieo's Tacoma Gallery
It was almost impossible to remove mine I had to use a left handed srewdriver.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #46
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by olouieo View Post
Yeah, 2013's have seen some changes, haven't they?

The 2005-2011 models use a pilot wrench to get to it. Quite a bit easier, but pulling the hypoid cramdshaft out to get to it makes it an extra step over yours.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #47
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by olouieo View Post
Metric of course.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #48
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I saw they added a bigger johnson rod on the 2013 so the left handed screwdriver is needed. But it's only on the black trucks.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #49
Poor Impulse Control
KiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiltedRonin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronin
KiltedRonin's Tacoma Gallery
Muffler bearing part# B-A-1100-N is the correct one right?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #50
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you get the TSB bearing, P/N B-A-1100-N3. Mention HARSH SOUND at the service desk. Be polite.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #51
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
That's true for 1st gen Tacos. 2nd gens with the V6 have only two muffler bearings - one per cylinder bank. See parts diagram:

Ah, of course!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #53
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
It looks like it would - the dimensions are the same - but the spline count is different.
I think Marlin Crawler makes an adapter plate, but I'd have to look up the part # for it.

Re: 1 per cylinder bank: Unlikely to blow out more than one muffler bearing at any given time, even with hard wheeling.

Quote:
Make sure you get the TSB bearing, P/N B-A-1100-N3. Mention HARSH SOUND at the service desk. Be polite.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #55
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You have a few options for replacement. if your not getting rid of your truck anytime soon, you could go with an OEM MB, but keep in mind, its a good thing to also consider getting a Muffler Bearing Master Rebuild kit. This includes things that dont come with the part itself, like muffler bearing anti lube grease, and a muffler bearing calibration tool. If you are hard on your MB's, which given your pics, you are, then I would consider a ceramic MB replacement. Most are a perfect drop in replacement for OEM MB's, after they are machined to specs. MAKE SURE that you dont install the rear most MB into the front of the exhast. tHIS CAN CAUSE SERIOZ issues with the kanuter valve assembly. The front bearing has a "DE" on it, while the rear has "RP" printed.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #57
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I accidentally drained my muffler's anti lube grease trying to flush the blinker fluid system. Halp!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #58
jrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
jrzyshore's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I accidentally drained my muffler's anti lube grease trying to flush the blinker fluid system. Halp!
You didn't get you blinker fluid mix with the headlight fluid.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #59
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Not to worry!! Drain the remaining fluids into the tranny.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
nobody even mentioned the "normal" break in period, or the "extended" break in period and the possible hazards with that whole ordeal. Is it just me?
Thats a good point. Jandrews should be informed of the hazards of an impropper break in.