Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Muffler bearing gone bad

Old 12-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Muffler bearing gone bad

On its way out after only 30k. Doing the repair myself. Should I stick with OEM or save some money aftermarket. Are the aftermarket bearings any good? What brand?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Trolololol
Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Chop it off before the wing nuts, it'll just hang up on wet grass
Old 12-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard aftermarket muffler bearings are OK if you continue to use the dealer supplied OEM lithium/beryllium bearing grease. However, not all dealers are willing to supply that separately, so you may need to look around.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need to use expensive muffler bearing cleaner.

Blinker fluid is chemically similar and far cheaper.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
was it causing a bad vibration? maybe thats what was bad on my 12...?
I was going to change it but the accident put a stop to that.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
I hear Trollinator is about the best you can get.
Are you sure it's the bearing? Muffler bearings and transverse oil resonators sound very similar when they go bad. 30,000 sounds a bit early for a muffler bearing to go south (unless you've added a torsional fuel-line lift kit, of course).
I'd keep looking, just to make sure. Hell, even check around the injector pan rotary lockout nut. That damn things makes weird sounds ALL the time!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I've heard aftermarket muffler bearings are OK if you continue to use the dealer supplied OEM lithium/beryllium bearing grease. However, not all dealers are willing to supply that separately, so you may need to look around.
So I'm gonna have to repack it?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Tripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tripps2012's Tacoma Gallery
This is a big issue with all cars and truck the government needs to step in I think. We need a muffler bearing monitoring system such as TPMS.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach375 View Post
I'd keep looking, just to make sure. Hell, even check around the injector pan rotary lockout nut. That damn things makes weird sounds ALL the time!
That's true. Minevhas been a pain in the ass.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
You don't need to use expensive muffler bearing cleaner.

Blinker fluid is chemically similar and far cheaper.
I use synthetic muffler bearing grease and only repack mine every 30k miles or so.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach375 View Post
Weaksauce.
You can find it in the auto parts store, next to the jugs of K-9P.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
I have had good luck repacking with plain old wire solder. The high temps near the muffler keep it liquid and it acts as a super-lubricant
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
jrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
jrzyshore's Tacoma Gallery
I just had mine replaced, I also switched out the air in my tires from the summer air to winter air for better mpg in colder weather.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
I have used tire oil to clean mufflers before
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
ITS CALLED A SEARCH BUTTON NOOB