1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone else have this problem? or know anything about it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2011supercoma, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Dec 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    2011supercoma

2011supercoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    nola
    Vehicle:
    sr5 4x4, trd supercharged
    trd supercharger, afe cai, doug thorley lt hearders, magnaflow exhaust, rcd 4.5" lift with ome 883 springs, cbi ditch light mounts with rigid industry D2 spot lights,
    today my exhaust started to make a rattle noise. so i brought the truck to my machanic (the only guy i trust working on my truck now) and he told me my cats, the 2 on the y pipe, imploded or something because the supercharger is creating soo much pressure the factory exhaust cant handle it.

first question, is this true? :confused:

second, should i just go all out and get a custom exhaust done?

i have the trd sc, afe cai, dt lt headers, and the rest is the factory exhaust. the only tune that was done, was the reflash when toyota installed the sc.

2. Dec 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    2011supercoma

Member:
    nola
    Vehicle:
    trd supercharger, afe cai, doug thorley lt hearders, magnaflow exhaust, rcd 4.5" lift with ome 883 springs, cbi ditch light mounts with rigid industry D2 spot lights,
    ill go monday and find out then.

3. Dec 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    blitz

blitz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    cape cod
    Are you sure it isn’t just the heat shield over the cats?

4. Dec 8, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    2011supercoma

Member:
    nola
    Vehicle:
    idk, ill look at that too.

5. Dec 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Supercharger? I don't understand how a supercharger could implode the cats... Turbocharger would make more sense to me...

6. Dec 8, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    My .02 opinion, and I consulted with another master here at the shop. If you had standard headers that retained the front cats you shouldn't have an issue, but since those lt headers get rid if the front cats (at least I think they do, correct me if I'm wrong) then those rear cats are trying to work way to hard and it's doubtful that Toyota will warranty them. At least if it were to come to our shop, they would not be covered.

7. Dec 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    2011supercoma

Member:
    nola
    Vehicle:
    good news, no more ratlle. haha.

i guess it got shot out the back end. :rolleyes:

ill calling tomm morn to make an appt, to get a whole new exhaust. ive been meanong to do it, so i guess i have a reason to go for it now.

8. Dec 11, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    Datsik

Datsik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma 4x4
    Not much.
    Hmm, I just installed the TRD exhaust and I'm having the same rattling issue. I didn't replace the gasket or bolts and springs because my truck has less than 5k on it. Did you ever figure out the problem? All I'm running is a K&N drop in and the TRD exhaust :/

9. Dec 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    2011supercoma

Member:
    nola
    Vehicle:

yea my cat def imploded. im getting a whole new custom exhaust done. the y pipe will run closer to the body, and ill prolly just delete the cats completely, and go with a magnaflo muff.

i wander if anyone else with a trd sc, has had this problem, and what did they do.

Products Discussed in

To Top