1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front shock top plate parts?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mr.Gadget, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Dec 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SR5 SB/2012 DC 4x4 SR5 LB(sold)
    Does someone sell the front shock top plate and needed parts?

Here is the story, I got a 2012, was towing my ATV, trailer, found the factory shocks were crap.
    Talked to Toyota, they would not do anything and I was hitting the bumpstops all the time, lot of bounce.........
    Anyway I found a set of take off TRD shocks.
    Not knowing if it was a spring problem, shock or what I thought I would try that.
    I put them on last week, just the back.

What a difference in the control, feel, and ride. It still sits lower in the back with the load but the ride is so much better.
    Did a lot of reading and several said that the 5100 had a hard ride for a DD and if you were not using it off road stick to the TRD, so as I said, found a deal.
    Also have a set of air bags to fix the sag, they will be going in soon.

So I have the front shocks TRD just setting there. Was planing to add a front hitch for moving trailers and a rod rack. Got to thinking about adding spacers to the front for the added weight. I do not want a lift, just to counter the added weight.

All the reading on spacers sounds like they are bad news. Thinking what about a higher rate spring and just replace the spring.
    Found OME, can't remember the number but they add 1" or so more like balance out the added weight some with no need for a spacer kit.

If I get the springs, I have the shocks, then pick up a set of plates, studs, washers, rubber spacer and what ever else is needed.

It will make for a faster change out, if I don't like then I can just do a fast change back. If it works great, then I can sell of my others to recover some money or save as backups, who knows.

No I'm not going to get the 5100, I already have the TRD shocks.
    I see two plans.
    One build up the TRD with OME springs
    or What I have with a spacer for 3/4-1" lift/level.

I'm hearing OME are real good and maybe the best due to the added weight. Would just need to find the top plate kit.

What are your thoughts.

Products Discussed in

To Top