Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hard Tonneau Cover

Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Roger in AZ is on a distinguished road
Roger in AZ's Tacoma Gallery
Hard Tonneau Cover

New member hear and just got my First Tacoma and I am looking for a Hard Tonneau Cover for the truck, any recommendations on manufactures such as Snuglid, Gaylord or Leer? Also are there any issues with a hard tonneau cover damaging the composite bed? My truck is a 2013 Double Cab 4X4 short bed with the TRD off-road package.

Thanks

Roger
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
ecrepeau is on a distinguished road
ecrepeau's Tacoma Gallery
JackRabbit

I got the Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit right after getting my 07 Tacoma and would purchase it again without hesitation.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
taczilla is on a distinguished road

Name: Marc
taczilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger in AZ View Post
New member hear and just got my First Tacoma and I am looking for a Hard Tonneau Cover for the truck, any recommendations on manufactures such as Snuglid, Gaylord or Leer? Also are there any issues with a hard tonneau cover damaging the composite bed? My truck is a 2013 Double Cab 4X4 short bed with the TRD off-road package.

Thanks

Roger

I had a hard tonneau on a '00 Dodge. I hated it. I couldn't put anything of size in the box, and my wife couldn't lift it.

.... flash forward...

My '08 Tacoma (bought in '10 with 25k) had one too. The dealer would not knock down the price if I told him to take it off on the deal.

It sat in the barn and it took me 2 years to sell it... and I got a whopping $300 !!

IMHO, they are a POS that gets in your way.

DON'T BUY ONE!!!! These things are a complete waste of natural resources.

I would install an Access Cover by Agri Cover:

http://shop.agricover.com/category/rollupcovers

I've owned a bunch and they functioned well on my last 6 trucks (GMC, RAM. RAM, Ranger, Tacoma, Tacoma) . Pricey, but very functional.

... and ya, you can stand on them.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

If you notice my avatar, the brain has swelled since I'ved owned my Tacoma.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
I had an armorlid hard cover on mine. It worked really well for what i needed at the time. It locked well, didnt leak and was very strong, i could stand on it and it wouldnt move. I took it off though since i mountain bike and like he said above, i was restricted by everything i could put in the bed. i think i am going to get a tool box to lock up my tools and what not that i keep with me that way its like the best of both.

if you would like more info, armorlids got discontinued but undercover is very similar to armorlid, i believe it is a more common lid anyways.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
My BakFlip works well but not water tight. I have a load bar rack over the top. I can remove rack in 5 minutes and cover folds up against cab and viola full bed access.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hot Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the BAK Roll-X web site bookmarked for a while, for the day when I can afford one I like the idea of having a hard cover that can be rolled-up for easy access to the bed. They're not giving them away, however (~$800 )

One reason I prefer this over the BAKflip model is that it appears like you can still see out the back window when the cover is rolled-up.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
sandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sandjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Snuglid sl on mine. It was really nice but it limited the practical use of the truck bed. I switched it out for a fold-a-cover elite G4. Very happy with this cover.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
All of the above complaints is why I went with the Pace Edwards JackRabbit.

You have use of the bed since it rolls away.
It doesn't affect your view out the back window when it is rolled away.
It locks to prevent anything being stolen in the bed.

Yes, they aren't cheap.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
For the to lazy to type into Google.

http://www.pace-edwards.com/site/?d=1&dt=73
Old 12-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #10
Explorer2324 is on a distinguished road
Explorer2324's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Fold A Cover on my 02 Dakota for 10 years. It served me well and still looks good. The rubber over the hinges have split in 2 places, about an inch each, other that no complaints. I just bought the G-4. Installations was simple and it looks like I will be happy for another 10 + years
Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
20RC13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Randall
20RC13's Tacoma Gallery
I also have a 2013 DCSB and was looking into this cover

http://www.retrax.com/