Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any 12' owners get brights flashed at them a lot?

Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #21
I bring the feel goods w/a heavy load of sarcasm
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by btipsword View Post
ever notice how everyone is a tough guy online?
\/\/\/ Doubt you'd say that to someone in person. As for me being a tough guy, I would and do call people out for things face to face all the time . Of course how you word things ultimately dictates how people will react, and I do think you could of worded that MUCH better. But for what you have presented to us thus far, you are a douche on the road who gets satisfaction from causing other people dismay.

Quote:
No not typically by trucks. I think every time has been a car, I'm definately not re adjusting my headlights for my slight lift, I get way to much satisfaction in flashing my brights back when they think they're already on. Hope it makes them feel dumb. haha
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #22
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No not typically by trucks. I think every time has been a car, I'm definately not re adjusting my headlights for my slight lift, I get way to much satisfaction in flashing my brights back when they think they're already on. Hope it makes them feel dumb. haha
They're not necessarily flashing you because they think your high beams are on, they could very well be saying "This idiot doesn't know how to adjust his head lights, he's dumb"
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
You brought your front end up about 1.75" and your rear 1" and now your headlights are aimed up higher? weird.

You're going to say screw everybody, I don't care if my lights blind them, until someday someone says screw this guy and his light, and does something to your truck or you . . .

How hard would it be to be considerate and aim them properly?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #24
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully OP got the message and isn't responding because he's busy adjusting his headlights.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #25
btipsword is just really nicebtipsword is just really nicebtipsword is just really nicebtipsword is just really nicebtipsword is just really nice
Name: Ben
btipsword's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Hopefully OP got the message and isn't responding because he's busy adjusting his headlights.
what he said hah
Old 12-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #26
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
You lifted your truck adjust your lights .
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #27
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
OP will get what's coming to him. Just wait 'til someone with an LED light bar or off-road lights blinds the shit out you
Old 12-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #28
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
I had several cars and a couple Isuzu delivery trucks flash their high beams at me the first couple weeks I had it and then I adjusted the lights and have not had anyone flash me. I used my mom's garage door because she has a long flat driveway. I parked about 35 feet from the garage and lights almost equal height on the garage door as they were on the truck. I adjusted untill ther was about a 5 or 6 inch drop on the garage door.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #29
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
Check and make sure your driver side light is angled down. Its angled down for a reason.
Not exactly true.

Both housings should be adjusted to the same position, but the reflector moves the cutoff down at the midpoint of the truck.

The cutoff is more apparent with HID projectors, but it is the same pattern on all headlights.

The low side of the cutoff should be 2" below the centerline of the housing when projected against a wall 20ft away. This will put the right side of the cutoff just a hair above centerline.

Having the beam hit 2" low at 20ft ensures that the beam eventually hits the pavement and is not remaining in the sky, blinding other drivers.
There is no advantage in having the low beam aimed higher... if you need more distance, use the high beams.

That image was taken, based on looking at the height of the cutoff, with the truck parked about 10ft away from the door. The cutoff becomes more pronounced farther away.

You can see two "angles" with a "gray" area top center. That area is the overlap where the high part of the driver's cutoff is illuminating the area above the passenger low side of the cutoff.

And FWIW: Unless the owner of that truck has a lift, he's aimed too high.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #30
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
I added about 80 lbs of weight in the back of my stock Tacoma and immediately noticed my headlights were shining higher. Just another push for me to beef up the suspension. I rarely drive at night, but it's still dark when I go to work in the morning.

ETA: And no, nobody has flashed their brights at me.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #31
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
OP will get what's coming to him. Just wait 'til someone with an LED light bar or off-road lights blinds the shit out you
Or he'll get a ticket when the car flashing him is a B&W.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #32
I bring the feel goods w/a heavy load of sarcasm
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Not exactly true.

Both housings should be adjusted to the same position, but the reflector moves the cutoff down at the midpoint of the truck.

The cutoff is more apparent with HID projectors, but it is the same pattern on all headlights.

The low side of the cutoff should be 2" below the centerline of the housing when projected against a wall 20ft away. This will put the right side of the cutoff just a hair above centerline.

Having the beam hit 2" low at 20ft ensures that the beam eventually hits the pavement and is not remaining in the sky, blinding other drivers.
There is no advantage in having the low beam aimed higher... if you need more distance, use the high beams.

That image was taken, based on looking at the height of the cutoff, with the truck parked about 10ft away from the door. The cutoff becomes more pronounced farther away.

You can see two "angles" with a "gray" area top center. That area is the overlap where the high part of the driver's cutoff is illuminating the area above the passenger low side of the cutoff.

And FWIW: Unless the owner of that truck has a lift, he's aimed too high.

Don't mind my technical lingo Thanks for clearing that up!

I believe it was Arizona's truck that I had a image of in my mind, let me look through his build...
Old 12-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
Don't mind my technical lingo Thanks for clearing that up!

I believe it was Arizona's truck that I had a image of in my mind, let me look through his build...
LOL!

Common misunderstanding.

My dad told me the same thing (this was back when headlights had candles in the housing). I never worried about it because even when I modded the suspension, I would maintain the factory rake, or add a little extra, so my headlights would always end up a little low.

It was probably around 1988 that I actually noticed the cutoff pattern against a wall.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #34
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
I drive to work at night, and someone flashes their lights at me 2 or 3 times a week. It's always a small car. I figured it was the spread of the fog lights or something. I can see the top of the headlight beam out on the road, and it's generally below the windshield of approaching cars. My truck is stock.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #35
StickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
StickShifty's Tacoma Gallery
my 2012 is stock except for tires and I do get flashed every once in awhile. i usually just flash back, mostly its smaller cars.

as far as realigning headlights after a lift, its the proper thing to do, our headlights are very bright in the first place! even changing the stance of a truck slightly will throw your headlights way out of alignment.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #36
Blygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Blygy's Tacoma Gallery
I was bone stock until yesterday (when I added duratracs) and I get brighted constantly.. it is very frustrating for me..
Old 12-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #37
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
I have a stock reg cab 2012 truck and get flashed about every night. Also in my work van which is stock.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #38

Stock or not, if you are getting flashed frequently, check your aim.
It is not unheard of for factory aim to be off, particularly on Toyotas.
There was a running joke back in the 80s that the only thing wrong with Toyota 4x4s was "full time high beams"
Old 12-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #39
Trd2013taco is on a distinguished road
Trd2013taco's Tacoma Gallery
2013 stock.. got flashed once in the 1k miles i put on it from a newer tahoe only because i was going up hill.. pretty sure its from the angle for on coming traffic.. i did notice the facotry lights were alot better/brighter spread then my Fj so any change to ride hieght your lights should be adjusted to compensate
Old 12-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #40
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Just adjust the lights, um... that's why they adjust.