Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any 12' owners get brights flashed at them a lot?

Old 12-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #41
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Stock or not, if you are getting flashed frequently, check your aim.
It is not unheard of for factory aim to be off, particularly on Toyotas.
There was a running joke back in the 80s that the only thing wrong with Toyota 4x4s was "full time high beams"
The selling dealership is to blame if the headlights are improperly aimed on a new stock vehicle. It is part of the PDI for every manufacturer. And yes, it happens commonly. Very commonly.

OP, do you really want the oncoming truck driver piloting 140,000 pounds in your direction to be totally blinded by your dumbass actions and attitude? Its you that would die in that situation, not him. Food for thought.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #42
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Just park on a level location in front of a wall. Measure the center of the bulb on the truck. Go to wall and mark that height on the wall and adj drivers side bulb to just below that mark and the pass. side to that mark but not above.

Just do it and be done with it and don't be a dick to other drivers.

You wouldn't by chance have your fogs on? That will shine them also.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #43
dantastic is on a distinguished road
dantastic's Tacoma Gallery
fwiw, when I leveled my truck with 5100 and OME 885 springs, my cutoff moved up A LOT. I had to re-aim them down quite a bit to have the low beams in the right place. Headlight aiming guide: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ID-headlights&

The link is for projectors specifically (what I have) but the same idea applies to halogen reflectors too.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #44
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Funny I came accros this,

My 2012 RC was the same way, the headlights were set very high in comparison,

I wrote service as a Service Writer for 10 years, and I got flashed so many times I went out and marked the top spot on the adjuster with a sharpie and turned em down a bit. Also in NC we have a state inspection standard, but new cars on dealer lots I thought didn't have to pass a headlight aiming test/adjustment.

I am very happy with them and don't get flashed but maybe once a week.

I also have higher power halogen bulbs too, so I really needed to adjust mine.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #45
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
It takes 5 min and a screw driver. Too easy, just do it
Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #46
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
My 2011 came with the lights shining in the second floor of houses. Pull up to a garage and adjust them one at a time put a jacket over the other one they should not be as high as the garage door handle if you are with in 10-15'
Old 01-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #47
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
My 2011 came with the lights shining in the second floor of houses. Pull up to a garage and adjust them one at a time put a jacket over the other one they should not be as high as the garage door handle if you are with in 10-15'
Don't go by the garage door handle, and 10ft is too close to adjust.

Federal spec is for the low side of the cutoff to be 2.1" below the centerline of the headlight when projected on a flat surface 20ft in front of the vehicle.

Truck of course needs to be parked on a level surface.
I used the back wall of Lowe's.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #48
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETaco23 View Post
I do but I know its bc im lifted and have PIAA xtreme white bulbs.. I did adjust my lights down alittle bit. (to my liking) but I still get flashed. I just flash them back and blind the crap out of them..
I adjusted my lights up a little.. I did it for the deer around here.. and I love it.. drivers on the other hand.. eh...not so much.. but then do the same and just blind them w/ my brights.. i'm so gonna get shot one day.. but oh well
Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #49
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
I never got flashed when I owned my '11. I got flashed last week in my '13. It was the only time that I have gotten flashed in the 2 months of ownership. I was going down a bumpy road and I think that's what it was, it hasn't happened since then.

A buddy of mine has a lifted, none Toyota truck and he never adjusted his lights. He ended up getting aftermarket, cheap, chinese HID's and it's brutal. I've given him shit because when I owned a car it would go right into my rear view mirror. He wouldn't adjust them, he just laughs at me. I told him that one of these days you're going to piss off the wrong person because you're too lazy to adjust your headlights.

OP: In the time that you made this thread you could have went out and adjusted your headlights. Stop being lazy and go and do it. We know it's hard to take time out of your day to do something that could end up saving someone from an accident, including yourself. I'm sure that you're going to wish that you adjusted your headlights if an oncoming, bigger vehicle comes headed in your direction because they are blinded by your ignorance.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #50
兔年快乐! 慢慢走!
trot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud of

trot's Tacoma Gallery
i get brights flashed at night in my 2011 stocker.

i did the basic test on my garage wall, you know to check to see if either light was off, and it didn't appear that way at all.

it's not like the stock headlights are even good really, i think it's because the roads around my place are very narrow and people get that line of sight stare thing going on narrow roads at night, looking into oncoming traffic rather than looking at the white sideline to avoid glare.

never happens up on the four lane
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #51
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Never happened to me in my 2012.. but half the time I forget to turn my headlights on before im halfway down the road.. so it could just be that I dont notice.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #52
Pro Tech
SaveAHoRideATACO is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 15th Security Police Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii '91-'94
SaveAHoRideATACO's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 07 and have been getting flashed ever since I bought it new back then. It was completely stock until this past spring when i gave it a mild lift. I still get flashed at times and people still act stupid when I'm right behind them at night, but I can't help it. I'm not adjusting what came stock from factory/dealer. I like my ligths just the way they are. The lift had no effect on people flashing me; they were doing it before and are still doing it now. It's only occasional though, so I write it off as a character flaw on their part. haha
Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #53
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Alot of hardass improper headlight users in here.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #54
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Remember that any change in elevation will cause at least one person to be looking directly into the head light bulb.

But for the most part, when I drive around in me (new ) civic, it looks like trucks have their brights on, even on level surfaces.

If a truck is "right" behind me, as SaveAHoRideATACO said, it also looks as if the brights are on. These people are usually tailgaters, so when a drivers "act stupid" it may as well be justified.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #55
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
I blame my phone for all wording and grammatical errors
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #56
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
Remember that any change in elevation will cause at least one person to be looking directly into the head light bulb.

But for the most part, when I drive around in me (new ) civic, it looks like trucks have their brights on, even on level surfaces.

If a truck is "right" behind me, as SaveAHoRideATACO said, it also looks as if the brights are on. These people are usually tailgaters, so when a drivers "act stupid" it may as well be justified.
"Stupid" doesn't discriminate against age, race, gender, or sexual orientation.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #57
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
3" lift with headlights properly re-aligned and I still got flashed a lot. The only ones I flashed back were the ones that went overboard with it (i.e. constantly flashing, leaving highs on, etc.)

I also try really hard not to tailgate. Because it's dangerous and I'm aware of the fact that my lights were annoying to those in front of me when I did.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #58
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Iget flashed all the time. t is not lifted. I just think the lights are brighter. My plans do not include attempting to adjust. Call it what you will, I think they are just bright. Much better light than my other vehicles.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #59
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunsquatch View Post
I have never been flashed in my 2012. I assume you didnt adjust your lights after your lift and are blinding the crap out of people.
+1
Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #60
SR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Mike
SR52012's Tacoma Gallery
I get it all the time... I have the 3" lift level kit from procomp. I think its funny when they get over slow down and drive behind me with there brights on.