Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Switching things up! Have some switches questions!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Senior Member
ElTacoCaliente will become famous soon enoughElTacoCaliente will become famous soon enough
Joined: Dec 2012, #92604
Location: Charlotte, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 133
ElTacoCaliente's Tacoma Gallery
Switching things up! Have some switches questions!

I'd like to use this setup:
http://www.4x4spod.com/category_s/52.htm

Please no railing about how it's so pricey, I saw that in some other threads already. I've got some questions about this system and about the stock switches.

Stock ??? First:
Can they be repositioned all into one row? Are they interchangeable? To the left of the steering wheel, my top row has 2 blank spots and my bottom row not but 1 empty spot so, can I move the one switch from the top down so that I have 3 in a row for ARB controls (compressor, f, r)? What about the blank switches just ahead of the gearshiffter?

Now SPOD ???:
they don't show the switch setup uninstalled so, I was wondering if it is a prefab box of switches (like for the Jeep applications? Or is it individual switches? Can it be split up so that some of the switches go in the blanks to the left of the steering wheel and some can go in the blank in front of my shifter (in the center stack). How do y'all do clean accessory wiring/routing! Thanks!!!

EDIT: to give an idea, I eventually want to have switches for ARB (f&r), ARB compressor, and 3 sets of lights.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Dec 2010, #47036
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,706
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
That looks pretty cool as far as the relay set up is concerned, as far as the switches are concerned, you don't have to use their panels to work with that fuse/relay set up, you can build your own and use other 12v switches.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
OZ-T's Avatar
Name: Peter North
Joined: Dec 2009, #27584
Location: British Columbia
Gender: Dude
Posts: 6,958
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty certain the Tacoma sPOD set up comes with 6 loose Contura switches intended to go in the factory locations to the left of the steering wheel

The blanks in front of the shifter are a different size
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ShaLor's Avatar
Name: Shane
Joined: Jan 2010, #29015
Location: Burbank, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 410
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Pretty certain the Tacoma sPOD set up comes with 6 loose Contura switches intended to go in the factory locations to the left of the steering wheel

The blanks in front of the shifter are a different size
Yes they definitely are. I am in the process of installing some Contura laser etched switches into the are in front of the shifter. I had to file down both the sides and the bottom of the switch opening in order to make them fit.

http://www.otrattw.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior Member
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Redneck92's Avatar
Name: Chris
Joined: Aug 2012, #84398
Location: Concord, NC
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,233
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLor View Post
I like these alot, Adam has these and they are nice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
ElTacoCaliente will become famous soon enoughElTacoCaliente will become famous soon enough
Joined: Dec 2012, #92604
Location: Charlotte, NC
Gender: Male
Posts: 133
ElTacoCaliente's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLor View Post
Yes they definitely are. I am in the process of installing some Contura laser etched switches into the are in front of the shifter. I had to file down both the sides and the bottom of the switch opening in order to make them fit.

http://www.otrattw.com
Good link, thanks! I think I'll use those so they match up nice to the stock ones, awesome!

Any chance you could snap some pictures of the switch install process in front of the shifter? How hard is that piece to get out to work on it? How bad was the filing job? I'd appreciate it as I am wanting to do this! I'd really like to see how it turns out! Do you have the usb/aux port in that area? Did you keep it there or move it? Thanks!

Thanks for all the info everybody! I greatly appreciate it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Senior Member
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ShaLor's Avatar
Name: Shane
Joined: Jan 2010, #29015
Location: Burbank, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 410
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoCaliente View Post
Good link, thanks! I think I'll use those so they match up nice to the stock ones, awesome!

Any chance you could snap some pictures of the switch install process in front of the shifter? How hard is that piece to get out to work on it? How bad was the filing job? I'd appreciate it as I am wanting to do this! I'd really like to see how it turns out! Do you have the usb/aux port in that area? Did you keep it there or move it? Thanks!

Thanks for all the info everybody! I greatly appreciate it!
I bought a lower control panel from a 2009 truck, so I haven't taken the part out of my truck yet, but here is a link on how to do that.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-location.html

As far as the filing, it took a while. I filed the two sides and the bottom the most so their was more room at the top for the switches. I bought a USB/AUX switch to put into the panel and kept that stock. I will try to take some pictures of the file work when I can.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ShaLor's Avatar
Name: Shane
Joined: Jan 2010, #29015
Location: Burbank, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 410
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoCaliente View Post
Good link, thanks! I think I'll use those so they match up nice to the stock ones, awesome!

Any chance you could snap some pictures of the switch install process in front of the shifter? How hard is that piece to get out to work on it? How bad was the filing job? I'd appreciate it as I am wanting to do this! I'd really like to see how it turns out! Do you have the usb/aux port in that area? Did you keep it there or move it? Thanks!

Thanks for all the info everybody! I greatly appreciate it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLor View Post
I bought a lower control panel from a 2009 truck, so I haven't taken the part out of my truck yet, but here is a link on how to do that.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-location.html

As far as the filing, it took a while. I filed the two sides and the bottom the most so their was more room at the top for the switches. I bought a USB/AUX switch to put into the panel and kept that stock. I will try to take some pictures of the file work when I can.
First I took a razor blade and cut off the extra plastic the extended beyond the first part of the back of the switch hole.

You can see the difference between the one I cut down and the one I left for the AUX/USB plug.

After that, I filed down the top and bottom of the switch so they were flush.



Then I filed the sides down until the width was just snug for the width of the switch.


Now that the switch hole is wide enough, I started filing the bottom of the switch hole again to make the hole tall enough for the switch. I kept filing and checking, filing and checking until the switch slid in.

I wanted to only really file down the bottom, because there isn't much room at the top for the switch to be able to move if I filed away at the top. You can see the final results here:


Now I have the tedious (and fun) task of taking apart the dashboard and replacing the panel and hooking up all of the wires.

I hope this helps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chipnoreo's Avatar
EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
Joined: Oct 2012, #88331
Location: Alaska
Gender: Chick
Posts: 2,014
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLor View Post
First I took a razor blade and cut off the extra plastic the extended beyond the first part of the back of the switch hole.

You can see the difference between the one I cut down and the one I left for the AUX/USB plug.

After that, I filed down the top and bottom of the switch so they were flush.



Then I filed the sides down until the width was just snug for the width of the switch.


Now that the switch hole is wide enough, I started filing the bottom of the switch hole again to make the hole tall enough for the switch. I kept filing and checking, filing and checking until the switch slid in.

I wanted to only really file down the bottom, because there isn't much room at the top for the switch to be able to move if I filed away at the top. You can see the final results here:


Now I have the tedious (and fun) task of taking apart the dashboard and replacing the panel and hooking up all of the wires.

I hope this helps.
Looks good! thanks for the info!

I was thinking about getting some of those switches.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
T@co_Pr3runn3r's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2009, #12767
Location: <----------------->
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,711
T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I did that lower panel swap awhile back.......console, lower dash left of wheel, gauge bezel, AC vent center panel, stereo & climate controls all have to come out to get that piece in
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Junior Member
Maynard is on a distinguished road
Marines: Reserves (out now)
Joined: Nov 2012, #91893
Location: Phx
Gender: Male
Posts: 2
Maynard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoCaliente View Post
Stock ??? First:
Can they be repositioned all into one row? Are they interchangeable?
They can, depending on how much wire slack you have in the stock harness. Its hard to say until you open it up and try. I put a spod in my truck. When removing the stock blank switch plates I was surprised to find that even the blanks had wires plugged into the back of them. I just unplugged them and left the wiring module behind the dash wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoCaliente View Post
Now SPOD ???:
they don't show the switch setup uninstalled so, I was wondering if it is a prefab box of switches (like for the Jeep applications? Or is it individual switches? Can it be split up so that some of the switches go in the blanks to the left of the steering wheel and some can go in the blank in front of my shifter (in the center stack).
Its not a box like the jeep... It is individual switches as stated, but it is also a modular wire harness that fits all 6 switches. That means the modular end that you have to feed through the firewall is a little big, but easy enough to get through. The spod harness is wired in such way that it is designed to have 3 switches close together (the commons are daisy changed), and 3 switches somewhere else, like behind the shifter... so yes I think it would work for you as it comes from the factory. You can always change the spod harness ends to suite your needs by either extending or cutting the end-terminals that come on the spod harness. Overall it makes a very neat place to have all your wires and relays protected and centralized. I also found that I only had to file down the sides of the factory switch cutouts. I used a die grinder and it only took like 10-15 minutes to do all 6 of them. A dremel would probably work also. With just the sides cut out the spod switches fit in very snug and all your filing work is hidden by the switch housing.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
air injection switching switching valve on 2TR afd23a 4 Cylinder 3 12-17-2012 05:19 PM
Switching MR.Redtaco Suspension 2 07-07-2011 06:01 AM
Switching toys tumtum27 2nd Gen. Tacomas 3 11-18-2010 04:26 PM
Switching to Mobile 1 OffroadToy 2nd Gen. Tacomas 3 10-02-2010 02:35 PM
switching to synthetic da0023 1st Gen. Tacomas 13 03-22-2010 08:32 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.