Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cost Effective Tips to Make your new 2nd Gen last forever

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #41
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
Name: Erik
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
The a/c drain hose extension is a good idea. I used wire mesh on the end to keep critters out. Also, do the wire mesh mod over the cabin air filter...
I like your signature links on using 4x4 on pavement.

Been some debate on this. Owners manual says use for 10 miles a month which is tough to do if you can't get off road much.

Some said driving on straight roads was ok, while others said it is better to skip the 10 miles a month if you have to do it on pavement.

Some said that they want to be sure 4wd is engaging so they periodically run it on dry pavement.

I came to the conclusion that I won't engage on dry pavement. I think your links support that conclusion.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #42
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Heres my extension.

Routes down the top of the frame and out behind the cab mount....

Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #43
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing lasts forever, but these are good tips to prolong the life of our trucks!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #46
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
That would be a good place for self-etching primer, followed by whatever top coat you like.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #47
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Keep em coming guys
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #48
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Change brake and clutch fluid every two years. It's easy, cheap, improves braking performance, and prolongs the life of brake components.

A fluid extractor makes changing brake fluid even easier. If you have one, you can suck power steering fluid out of the reservoir and add new fluid periodically, so the PS fluid is always being refreshed. I haven't checked the service manual, but completely flushing a PS system is usually difficult (or impossible). You could also use this same method to refresh ATF, but I think it's still important to have the ATF and filter changed every 60k.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #49
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Change brake and clutch fluid every two years. It's easy, cheap, improves braking performance, and prolongs the life of brake components.

A fluid extractor makes changing brake fluid even easier. If you have one, you can suck power steering fluid out of the reservoir and add new fluid periodically, so the PS fluid is always being refreshed. I haven't checked the service manual, but completely flushing a PS system is usually difficult (or impossible). You could also use this same method to refresh ATF, but I think it's still important to have the ATF and filter changed every 60k.
Added to the list

Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #50
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
DONT FORGET TO GREASE YOUR DRIVESHAFTS!!!!!!!!

I really want to add something. . . . . . . maybe dialectric grease for corrosion prone plugs???? huh? huh?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #51
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I haven't checked the service manual, but completely flushing a PS system is usually difficult (or impossible).
I just flushed mine completely a couple weeks ago. I used a lift at my work and a friend to turn the steering wheel back and fourth while I drained the old fluid and added the new. It wasn't that bad of a job.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #52
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Da_da View Post
I just flushed mine completely a couple weeks ago. I used a lift at my work and a friend to turn the steering wheel back and fourth while I drained the old fluid and added the new. It wasn't that bad of a job.
Good to know. Easy as it is, I may stop slurping out the reservoir.

Changing power steering fluid should be added to the list. I'm not sure about service interval or cost for replacement fluid, but 2-4 years sounds about right. At the same time as the ATF, for sure. I don't know what a PS pump or rack costs, but I'm sure they aren't cheap.

Regular cycling of 4WD components, including differential lockers. If you can't find the time or place to go off road monthly, at least engage/disengage 4H, 4L, and any lockers a few times while parked on pavement. From what I've read, the 4WD e-systems don't respond well to infrequent use. It may be necessary to drive a few feet to cycle engagement, but it won't hurt a thing.

Wash under the hood every month or two, especially if slinging mud, sand, or saltwater. A clean engine bay looks nice, but it also makes it much easier to identify problems early, it inhibits corrosion, and it's much nicer to work in a clean space.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #54
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have links to good threads covering the following issues? I would like to add links to the original post -

2) Add extension hose off air con condenser drain line to prevent drainage into frame channels

3) Extend rear diff breather - allows diff pressure to equalize and prevents hot diff pulling in cold water through seals if you go through water

4) Frequently inspect underside, paint and lube, maybe seal with Fluid Film or other such sealant

5) Periodically lube locks and hinges

6) Change brake and clutch fluid every two years. It's easy, cheap, improves braking performance, and prolongs the life of brake components.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #55
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Adding links in op to some solved issues as well.....
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #56
Backdoor Commentator

Pre- and post-trail inspections will help prevent breakdowns on the trail, and catch trail created problems before they get worse on the road.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #57
PBR Streetgang has a spectacular aura aboutPBR Streetgang has a spectacular aura about
Name: Andrew
PBR Streetgang's Tacoma Gallery
I recently installed an oil catch can. Seems like a good idea to keep oil out of the intake over the life of the engine.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #58
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
I recently installed an oil catch can. Seems like a good idea to keep oil out of the intake over the life of the engine.
I've looked at some of the catch can threads. It's an interesting idea, but I'd need to see some used oil analysis or some other data supporting the efficacy of them before I'd install one. I know older engines used catch cans, but newer engines and oils may negate some of their usefulness.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #59
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
If I did everything this thread suggested...I'd have little time to drive the truck.

I'm wore out just reading all this stuff.

effit...I'm just gonna continue to trade for a new one every couple of years.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #60
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
If I did everything this thread suggested...I'd have little time to drive the truck.

I'm wore out just reading all this stuff.

effit...I'm just gonna continue to trade for a new one every couple of years.
Given the extremely high used pricing, that makes some sense.

Products Discussed in this Thread