Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cost Effective Tips to Make your new 2nd Gen last forever

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #61
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Given the extremely high used pricing, that makes some sense.
with age...comes wisdom
Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #63
SkullTaco2012 has a spectacular aura aboutSkullTaco2012 has a spectacular aura about
SkullTaco2012's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #65
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I've looked at some of the catch can threads. It's an interesting idea, but I'd need to see some used oil analysis or some other data supporting the efficacy of them before I'd install one. I know older engines used catch cans, but newer engines and oils may negate some of their usefulness.
I was skeptical as well but after some research I decided to purchase one. After 5k miles I drained the catch can and was amazed how much oil came out. The thread is here and my results are page #13: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-guide-13.html
Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #66
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
Name: Erik
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
I recently installed an oil catch can. Seems like a good idea to keep oil out of the intake over the life of the engine.
Added - Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #67
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
Grease the front wheel bearings before failure.
I thought you had to diassemble the hub, press the bearings out, and replace the seals to grease them. Seems a lot of trouble to go through to reuse bearings.

I'll look at the catch can thread later, but without UOAs showing improvement, it's not a project I'll likely do.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #69
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Still looking for more tips
Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #70
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Still wondering about replacing the clutch every 2 years as the dirt post suggested?
Seems crazy to me
Old 12-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #71
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgtho View Post
Still wondering about replacing the clutch every 2 years as the dirt post suggested?
Seems crazy to me
I'm not sure what post you're referring to, but the suggestion was to change the hydraulic clutch fluid every two years, along with the brake fluid.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #72
fixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Mike
fixnfly's Tacoma Gallery
The forward cab mounts seem to hold alot of mud in them that could turn into a bad rust problem. The previous owner of my truck did alot of off roading and when I bought the truck, the mounts were packed full of mud. I cleaned them out with a screwdriver and compressed air followed by a good rinse. Some fluid film inside would be a good idea
Old 12-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnfly View Post
The forward cab mounts seem to hold alot of mud in them that could turn into a bad rust problem. The previous owner of my truck did alot of off roading and when I bought the truck, the mounts were packed full of mud. I cleaned them out with a screwdriver and compressed air followed by a good rinse. Some fluid film inside would be a good idea
Good idea. I FF fogged mine already, but that's one of those spots worth flushing well in the Spring, blowing out, and re-fogging.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #74
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
I would corrosion proof the frame each year. This recent topic shows that Toyota still needs to get it right when building frames. This is no longer planned obsolescence, this borders on safety and quality over profits.

http://www.zipchem.com/products/prod...l.aspx?id=NjY=

PK
^ Nods. Would think after 8 years on the same model there would've been a solution.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #75
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Just looking for more tips......
Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #76
MagnumTaco is a jewel in the roughMagnumTaco is a jewel in the roughMagnumTaco is a jewel in the rough

Law Enforcement:
Name: Tony
MagnumTaco's Tacoma Gallery
nice info thx
Old 07-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #77
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
It is a good idea to lubricate all your rubber gaskets with a Silicon spray. I do mine every other oil change. I also spray my window channels and any other rubber items on the truck.
It is a good idea to apply di electric grease to your plug wires connectors at the spark plug and at the coil to keep water from shorting out your plug wires.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #78
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman View Post
6) Change brake and clutch every two years. It's easy, cheap, improves braking performance, and prolongs the life of brake components. (Also power steering fluid)

#6....Brakes, ok maybe but the clutch? Shifting smoothly is what saves clutches.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #79
mr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
I was skeptical as well but after some research I decided to purchase one. After 5k miles I drained the catch can and was amazed how much oil came out. The thread is here and my results are page #13: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-guide-13.html
The question in my mind is, what tangible value does it add. Two things come to mind that could happen as a result of oil mist running through the intake:

1) Some oil collection in the intake

2) Some extra carbon in the combustion chamber

Neither of these things are "good", but do they actually matter on a truck seeing normal service? Just about every car in the world recirculates crank fumes the same way, and none that I know of have oil catch cans.

Products Discussed in this Thread