Ok, looking for what I can do now with my new truck to 1) make it last longer and 2) reduce the cost of long term ownership.
Example - I have seen posts about LCA bolts not being lubricated from the factory, resulting in siezed bolts that will prevent a good alignment and the need for new control arms. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-question.html
Lubing the bolts when new and periodically would seem to be a cheap and easy way to prevent this problem.
There must be a bunch of other things that can be done like this to make my Tacoma last longer and make ownership cheaper and easier.
Lets hear some more examples.
List So far: (if you have links to posts on anything please post below and I will add them)
1) Lube the LCA bolts http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/217265-lca-question.html
2) Add extension hose off air con condenser drain line to prevent drainage into frame channels
3) Extend rear diff breather - allows diff pressure to equalize and prevents hot diff pulling in cold water through seals if you go through water
4) Frequently inspect underside, paint and lube, maybe seal with Fluid Film or other such sealant. Wash off after exposed to road salt.
5) Periodically lube locks and hinges
6) Change brake fluid and clutch fluid every two years. It's easy, cheap, improves braking performance, and prolongs the life of brake components. (Also power steering fluid)
7) If you have 4wd, you need to engage it occassionaly - owners manual says 10 miles/month - But - you should not do this on dry pavement as you may do more harm than good.
8) Keep engine bay clean. A clean engine bay looks nice, but it also makes it much easier to identify problems early, it inhibits corrosion, and it's much nicer to work in a clean space.
9) Install an Oil Catch Can http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...all-guide.html
10) DON'T FORGET TO GREASE YOUR DRIVESHAFTS! http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...rks-total.html
Other maintainence issues to be aware of:
1). Blower motor chirp http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...p-low-fix.html
2). Needle bearing replacement http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...on-thread.html
3. Wind whistle noise. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...dentified.html