1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd gear syncro's

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sidcrocker, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Dec 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    sidcrocker

sidcrocker [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi all, i know there is alot of info out there on this, just though i would throw out a question.
    first off, new to me 05 4.0 6speed with 106k, mostly all is good, the guy i bought it off of said syncros on 3rd were going and the dealer told him 4 to 5 k to replace so he gave me a good deal on the truck. i bought it knowing i would probably need to replace the tranny but i don't want to do it now. paid cash for the truck and want to save up cash to pay for the tranny, just don't have it all now. i haven't look into pricing for this tranny.

i had a heavily modified 92 3.slow 5 speed 4Runner that i loved, never had a tranny problem. the problem here is only going from 2nd to 3rd - i get a brass zinger letting me know that i've shifted to fast. i can control it i shift slower or shift out of second at very low rpms. but this kind of sucks because 1st is pretty low and shifting out of second when i get 1.5/2k rpms means that i don't get to wind anything out. now what i done alot is wind 2nd out and skip 3rd all together which is bad except for climbing mountain hills which is what i like 3rd for.

the fluids were changed by the dealer before i bought it, so i though i would ditch the dealer's fluid and put in some redline and see if that helps (my guess is probably not much help). thinking about the udr short throw and it allready has an aftermarket shift knob.

any opinions out there, what have you guys done when this happened to you and it wasn't covered by warrenty. can u have these rebuilt (i called marlin crawler who said they dont work on these trannies yet). for now i can live with it, i've just changed my habits.

2. Dec 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  3. Dec 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    sidcrocker

sidcrocker [OP] Member

Member:
    No sloppy shifting, just knicking the syncros going into 3rd.
    How do people race with these manual trannies? Does anyone make a better tranny for these trucks?

4. Jan 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    sidcrocker

sidcrocker [OP] Member

Member:
    anyone have any opinions

Products Discussed in

To Top