Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3rd gear syncro's

Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
sidcrocker is on a distinguished road
sidcrocker's Tacoma Gallery
3rd gear syncro's

Hi all, i know there is alot of info out there on this, just though i would throw out a question.
first off, new to me 05 4.0 6speed with 106k, mostly all is good, the guy i bought it off of said syncros on 3rd were going and the dealer told him 4 to 5 k to replace so he gave me a good deal on the truck. i bought it knowing i would probably need to replace the tranny but i don't want to do it now. paid cash for the truck and want to save up cash to pay for the tranny, just don't have it all now. i haven't look into pricing for this tranny.

i had a heavily modified 92 3.slow 5 speed 4Runner that i loved, never had a tranny problem. the problem here is only going from 2nd to 3rd - i get a brass zinger letting me know that i've shifted to fast. i can control it i shift slower or shift out of second at very low rpms. but this kind of sucks because 1st is pretty low and shifting out of second when i get 1.5/2k rpms means that i don't get to wind anything out. now what i done alot is wind 2nd out and skip 3rd all together which is bad except for climbing mountain hills which is what i like 3rd for.

the fluids were changed by the dealer before i bought it, so i though i would ditch the dealer's fluid and put in some redline and see if that helps (my guess is probably not much help). thinking about the udr short throw and it allready has an aftermarket shift knob.

any opinions out there, what have you guys done when this happened to you and it wasn't covered by warrenty. can u have these rebuilt (i called marlin crawler who said they dont work on these trannies yet). for now i can live with it, i've just changed my habits.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...a/03200510.pdf

You can rebuild these transmissions possibly just repairing the problem .
Is the shifter sloppy ? these are known for the shifter bushing gettting lazy as well .
If the trans only has issues shifting into 3rd , i would suspect a snchronizer/ shift fork issue .
Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
No sloppy shifting, just knicking the syncros going into 3rd.
How do people race with these manual trannies? Does anyone make a better tranny for these trucks?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
anyone have any opinions