Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Starting new build/ Suspension help!!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
MarkM is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MarkM's Tacoma Gallery
Starting new build/ Suspension help!!

Just purchased a 2013, 4D 4WD V6 Tacoma. I am ready to get started making this baby ready to ride off road. I have calling around to see a price on getting some suspension work as well as wheels and tires. The only place I know in the area that does off road vehicle work is 4wheelparts. They are very expensive for install, I was basically wondering if anyone had any other recommendations for shops near Indianapolis, IN, or if the job of putting a suspension kit on my brand new truck would be too much for me to handle with limited experience working on vehicle suspension. I have done quite a bit of work on street bikes as well as dirt bikes, just have never got into mods on any of my automobiles.

That being said, I am sure there is already a thread for suspension, but what would be a good recommendation for entry level suspension, I keep seeing everyone talk about Bilstein 5100s but i think i would prefer to have a 3'' lift and the Bilstiens look like they are 2.5'' at the max. I was looking at the pro comp 3" kit as well as the stage 1 Icon kit. But I am open to any ideas.

The wheels and tires i was looking to run 17" XD monsters and some 285 Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
4wheelparts is known to be pricey and some people have had bad experiences with them but others have had no problems with them. Looks like your looking for a suspension lift so thats good. Stay away from spacer lifts if you plan on doing some off-roading. Check out toyteclifts.com as they have a good amount selections for you to look at with varying price ranges. With the help of some friends the install shouldnt be to hard but you will need the right tools and possibly a spring compressor and things like that on certain lift kits. As for wheels and tires....lots of people on here are running 17" wheels with 285's but just make sure you get the correct backspacing and offsets.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Also another good place to check out is down south motorsports!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
MarkM's Tacoma Gallery
any good walk throughs for doing full suspension, looking at the bilstein 3" kit from toyteclifts.com
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Spend some time here. You may want to PM a mod and ask them to move this thread there, too.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Dromlace is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Dromlace's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein is the tried and true.
Lots of members say the pro comp rides like a tank.
Icon is up there with fox, camburg, and a bunch of other well known LT companies.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
any good walk throughs for doing full suspension, looking at the bilstein 3" kit from toyteclifts.com
Theres multiple bilstein kits on there. Which exact one are you looking at?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
MarkM's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at either the Ultimate lift package with Radflo coilovers, or the other ultimate package with the Bilsteins

The biggest concern I have is installing the kit. Looked at some write ups and it looks pretty complicated with the brake lines and data lines and what not.

And sorry for posting in the wrong area, not sure how to go about messaging a mod
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the ULK but I dont know anyone with the Radflo but that looks like a really good kit as well. I think either way you go you will be getting an awesome suspension lift. When I helped lift my buddies truck the only pain was getting the springs compressed but other then that it wasnt to bad. Probably about a half days work involved.....but then again we had another guys helping us that had experience in that field.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
edipema is on a distinguished road

Name: Ed
edipema's Tacoma Gallery
I just.installed the ome 3 inch suspension lift on my 2006 4D, and it wasn't bad at all. It was probably a total of 2-3 hours on the front and 2-3 hours on the rear. ardest part was prolly compressing the springs but as long as you have a good impact gun you should be fine.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
You dont have to use a spring compressor to swap coils. THis way is much safer, easier, and cheaper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVLBOnAifc

Ive done it this way twice and will be doing it again on thursday
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
what youll need most for a self install are:

lots of tools, preferably powered
brute strength
a large, undivided amount of time
and a friend to help

its a worthwile thing to do yourself tho, cause you are the one that will need to keep an eye on things for maintenence, and if you put everything on then youll know if something looks wrong and needs fixin later.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
MarkM's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome looks like I will be able to pull this off on my own. Does anyone know if I will need to extend brake lines with jut a 3" lift?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Awesome looks like I will be able to pull this off on my own. Does anyone know if I will need to extend brake lines with jut a 3" lift?
nope
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Quote:
only if you are going offroad.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
nope
X2. Try to get two more people to help you with the install.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
MarkM's Tacoma Gallery
That is confusing, I do or do not need them? Obviously plan on going off road
Old 12-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #18

you dont need them for normal driving conditions, but offroad you will be flexing the suspension alot more, and you might exceed the current length and break them. so for offroad its recommended that you replace them with longer lines.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKnight View Post
you dont need them for normal driving conditions, but offroad you will be flexing the suspension alot more, and you might exceed the current length and break them. so for offroad its recommended that you replace them with longer lines.
but you dont have to. there are plenty of people on here that lift 3" and dont have ext. brake lines. Me included..
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
but you dont have to. there are plenty of people on here that lift 3" and dont have ext. brake lines. Me included..
me included also, I didnt even touch mine for the lift install. but if the op is gonna rock climb or hop dunes or whatever, id extend em just incase.