1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buyers Remores (before the purchase)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoTown, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Jan 28, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    TacoTown

TacoTown [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunnser SR5 Pyrite Mica
    Hey guys,

Ive been looking through these threads for months and have gathered a ton of information....but I need some help from you folks!

I always think for months/years before a major purchase and ive been a lifelong Honda guy.

...but ive always wanted a Tacoma....for as far back as i can remember...

But im faced with uncertain oil prices in the future, a new Camaro coming out next year with better gas mileage and of course my fallback....a new Accord.

Im trying not to talk myself out of buying a Tacoma because im sure id regret buying anything else.

I do want an Access Cab Pre-Runner V6 SR5 (no TRD for me)

Can i get 18 mph? How many miles can i get out of a tank of gas?

Sorry for this long winded post, but man i wanna get this right.

Thanks for all the help over the past months.

2. Jan 28, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    MudontheTires

MudontheTires Texan

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 V6 PreRunner SR5
    Leather Seats, TRD Bilstein Shocks, 6000k Bi-xenon Hid Kit, Toyota Bed Mat, Suspension TSB, TRD Accessory Skid Plate
    I have a V6 PreRunner DoubleCab and I usually get around 20 or so mpg with around 250 miles using about 12-13 gallons on i believe a 21 gallon tank. It's pretty decent mileage and i'm a poor college student with tuition and a truck payment to take care of and i'm still alive haha. I was a honda guy myself but i LOVE my tacoma now

3. Jan 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    MudontheTires

MudontheTires Texan

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 V6 PreRunner SR5
    Leather Seats, TRD Bilstein Shocks, 6000k Bi-xenon Hid Kit, Toyota Bed Mat, Suspension TSB, TRD Accessory Skid Plate
    In other words... Get the Tacoma!! :D

4. Jan 28, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Welcome to TW :wave:

Get the Tacoma... my gas mileage (all highway at 55-60mph) is averaging around 23 mpg.

5. Jan 28, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    wawireguy

wawireguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'd get the Tundra. You already have a gas sippin car.

6. Jan 28, 2009 at 6:26 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    I always ask myself for example:

What can I do with a Camaro or Accord that I can't do with a Tacoma?

What can I do with a Tacoma that I can't do with a Camaro or Accord?

Now go get your Tacoma !!!!

7. Jan 28, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I was getting 17-18mpg for the first couple of years. I swapped the air filter with an AFE Pro Dry a few months ago and have been getting 20 consistently since then. I haven't switched to synthetics like a lot of other people have and say help a bit, and I have a cap so the aerodynamics suck. :laugh:

8. Jan 28, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Exactly :D

9. Jan 28, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    You don't buy a truck because it gets good gas mileage.

You don't buy a Camaro or an Accord because you can carry a motorcycle or 10 sheets of plywood in the bed.

10. Jan 28, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    Dude, i am the exact way. I waited and saw good deals come and go. I watched tons of Tacomas go in front of me, and i just kept telling myself that i am being cautious, and i waited almost 2 years b4 i went ahead and bought one!! I finally was at the dealer when i saw my truck, and it was the most beautiful Tacoma i had seen, honestly, i had been tossing back between Black or White for awhile, and when i saw mine, black with black wheels, i couldn't hold out any longer. But moving on, since i have bought the truck, i continue to walk outside and tell myself every time i see her, damn that's a sharp truck, and i have not thought back about it once. So if you find a Tacoma that you like, and you let yourself move forward, i see no reason why you wouldn't love it just as much as a Camaro, i mean a truck can hit the dirt, the back seat is big enough to get into trouble in, you can throw a quad in the back, and it gets great gas mileage(compared to my Z71 Tahoe anyway, lol), plus its just badass.

11. Jan 29, 2009 at 4:04 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    You better really think about what you want.A pickup truck is very different from a car.The novelty may wear off quick.
    I have a feeling you'll be happier with a Accord or the Camaro in the long run.More so if gas costs rise.
    Just my .02.:)

12. Jan 29, 2009 at 4:09 AM
    Fish Tacos

Fish Tacos Active Member

Member:
    Conn
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    You will not regret your new tacoma. The mpg is not that bad. The difference in what you get from an accord verse tacoma is substancial so I would think more about what you need the vehicle for.

13. Jan 29, 2009 at 4:16 AM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't envy your decision! I love my Tacoma. I started off getting 20mpg but it has fallen off to about 18.5 mpg. I'll go about 320 miles on a tank of fuel. I want a Pontiac G8 or a Camaro also. But that would be for my wife to drive. I enjoy having the Tacoma because of it's ride height and I'll always have that bed in the back if I need to haul something.

14. Jan 29, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    LDrider

LDrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR 2.7 Access Cab 4x4 (sold to Carvana!)
    That is some really good advice. I think the Tacoma is <ok>. Nothing special by any stretch. From an engineering point of view there are some pretty glaring misses. It is clearly not as refined as a car (duh!). That might be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your prespective.

Frankly, if I had to do it all over again I would probably be looking at a more refined SUV type of vehicle or something with a hatchback. I drive 50+ miles to work every day and doing it in a truck gets kinda old. Have my eye on a Subaru WRX STi....Figure the three or four times I actually <need> a pickup truck I can rent one for $19.99/day from U-Haul.

If I were you, I would look for a nice clean used one, and if after a year it didn't work out for you, just sell it.

15. Jan 29, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    well i have a tacoma SR5 prerunner v6 (no TRD) AND the girlfriend has a 2008 Honda Accord! SO my experience with this is we use the truck for everything.. hauling, beach, whatever. Then say, i want to drive to LA for the weekend, we take the Accord for the gas millage. My truck gets about 20 and i sit in traffic with knobby tires.. so if thats acceptable for you, then tacoma it is.. (when i drive to say, LA for the weekend with the Tacoma i get a good 22 WITH those knobby tires!)

BUT if i had to choose between the two, i'd take my tacoma.

16. Jan 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    Ticketdoctor

Ticketdoctor Senior Lettuce Washer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double TRD O.R. 4x4 Timberland Mica
    XM Radio Mod, TRD Skid Plate, Bed Mat, Weathertech, More to come.
    It took me months before I bought my Taco. I have not been partial to any particular brand of vehicle, but I can say I really like my Taco. I would buy another one.

I considered the full size GMC, Chevy, Honda Ridgeline and the Taco. The Taco had everything that I wanted an nothing more. No BS stuff that may break. Great Reputation that has been tested for years and was not HUGE. The impression people have is the taco is small, but you can fit four good size guys in a double cab without a problem. Easy to drive and again no BS.

Not that I am going to sell it anytime soon, but it does hold its value better than most.

Plus you can drive a Taco all year round!

17. Jan 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM
    bao523

bao523 Active Member

Member:
    houston, tx
    Vehicle:
    23 Tacoma Limited 4x4
    stock
    i think it all depends on you regular commute and the comfort level you are looking for. the only thing i can suggest is if you do decide you want a truck, you can't beat the tacoma. (any trim level trd or not)

18. Jan 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:
    For the record I love my Taco, but hate the mileage. It is a truck and I accept that. Currently with the cold weather here in Wisconsin, on my last tank, I was averaging about 15.4 mpg. I had been getting pretty much 17mpg on average since I purchased it used back in October of 2007 with 33k on it. That is mostly city driving. That mpg is with the mild lift and 265/75R16 tires.

19. Jan 30, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    With an Automatic transmission 20+ should be very easy to accomplish. Go easy on the gas pedal (keep the rpms under 2000). The manual transmissions are geared differently so their mpg isn't as good but I can get 20 on the highway with my 4x4 V6 manual.

How many miles per week do you average and how much of it is highway? Divide that mileage by the mpg for the vehicles you're contemplating to see how much difference it will make.

An Accord V6 will get around 19 city, 29 highway.

For example, if you drive 300 miles per week, a 20 mpg vehicle will use 15 gallons of gas. A 25 mpg vehicle will use 12 gallons. If gas were $5 per gallon that's a difference of $15 per week. A 29 mpg vehicle will use 10.3 gallons so it would save $25 per week at $5/gallon.

If you only average 200 miles per week:
    20mpg = 10 gallons
    25mpg = 8 gallons (2 gallons at $5/gallon = $10 difference)
    29 mpg = 7 gallons (3 gallons at $5/gallon = $15 difference)

You might also look into the difference in insurance costs and weigh that against the gas savings. You would probably make up the difference in gas with the insurance on a Camaro.

Products Discussed in

To Top