Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Canopy weatherstripping help

Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Owl is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
Owl's Tacoma Gallery
Canopy weatherstripping help

I just got a hell of a deal on a used commercial canopy and I'm wondering about weatherstripping. The guy I bought it from was nice enough to help me mount it to the truck to get it home, but there's nothing between the canopy and be rail - should there be?

Also, there's a 1 inch gap behind the cab between the bed and canopy and I can't seem to find weatherstripping big enough to close the gap - anyone know of a place that sells weatherstripping thick enough to close this gap?

thanks is advance
Attached Thumbnails
Canopy weatherstripping help-20121209_111249.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
shorti will become famous soon enough
shorti's Tacoma Gallery
There isn't supposed to be weather stripping between the bed and the canopy and the space between the cab and your canopy isn't supposed to be filled or connected.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorti View Post
There isn't supposed to be weather stripping between the bed and the canopy and the space between the cab and your canopy isn't supposed to be filled or connected.
Wut ?

Yes , there should be a weatherstrip or canopy / cap tape on the bedside tops , the front of the box drops down so doubled up tape works best here
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Napa sells some stuff called camper tape, its sticky on one side. I'm not sure of the part number or exact thickness. Its not quite an inch though. But you might check it out. My shell has 2 strips that run side by side that are the width of the bedrail. I'll try to get the part number tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
shorti will become famous soon enough
shorti's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Wut ?

Yes , there should be a weatherstrip or canopy / cap tape on the bedside tops , the front of the box drops down so doubled up tape works best here
I swear that my leer is just resting on the inside carpet liner. I will now have to investigate further.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorti View Post
I swear that my leer is just resting on the inside carpet liner. I will now have to investigate further.
Probably not
Old 12-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #7
Firenailer is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Firenailer's Tacoma Gallery
There is a foam tape made specifically for mounting Camper Shells. It's about an inch wide. Sticks to the bed rails between cap and the truck. There is also a Toyota Kit that provides a thick rubber strip to fill that space along the front edge of the bed / cap.

You can buy it all from a Cap or Truck Accessory dealer. Even after all of that I still used some silicone across the front to prevent water seepage.

Hope all of that helps!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
There is a foam tape made specifically for mounting Camper Shells. It's about an inch wide. Sticks to the bed rails between cap and the truck. There is also a Toyota Kit that provides a thick rubber strip to fill that space along the front edge of the bed / cap.

You can buy it all from a Cap or Truck Accessory dealer. Even after all of that I still used some silicone across the front to prevent water seepage.

Hope all of that helps!
Link to the Toyota kit ?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
Firenailer is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Firenailer's Tacoma Gallery
I took a quick look on the A.R.E. site this morning but didn't see it. I just called the place I bought the cap and asked to get the Toyota front filler strip and a roll of mounting tape, when I moved the cap from my '05 to the '11 Tacoma.

It's just a thick rubber strip that self sticks along the indented section along the front rail to even out the surface.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Owl's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone for the responses. I called the local canopy dealer that installed my last canopy and they have quite a bit of different sized weatherstripping available.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
beaker1214 will become famous soon enough

beaker1214's Tacoma Gallery
I went to lowes and got some weather stripping which seemed to do the job as I bought a used shell as well...no leaks so far
Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
CaptQuinn is on a distinguished road

Name: Quinn
CaptQuinn's Tacoma Gallery
Owl,
I know I'm too late but I thought I'd mention that I have a roll of 2" wide foam canopy tape (enough for an 8' bed) that I don't need. I'm out in Hood River and would love to get rid of the stuff. I think I've been packing it around for about 3 years now.

You can have it if you still need it.

Q
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
Owl's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for responding and for you offer. I ended up just taking the canopy to a canopy retailer and having them weatherstrip it and mount it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptQuinn View Post
Owl,
I know I'm too late but I thought I'd mention that I have a roll of 2" wide foam canopy tape (enough for an 8' bed) that I don't need. I'm out in Hood River and would love to get rid of the stuff. I think I've been packing it around for about 3 years now.

You can have it if you still need it.

Q
Old 03-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
CaptQuinn is on a distinguished road

Name: Quinn
CaptQuinn's Tacoma Gallery
^^
Makes good sense.