Notices

2nd Gen Bed Questions

Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #41
birry is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Oh, don't let it scare you. I am not mechanical at all and I had it done in under an hour and a half; it is just the clutch cancel switch is really difficult to reach...but you'll get it just fine if you are limber enough.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't no cruise = manual windows and split bench seat? If so, I'll pass for those reasons alone. Maybe I'm thinking of the 1st gen with the bench seat...? Manual windows wouldn't be horrible, but I do not want the bench seat.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #42
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
My 08 has buckets and center console, manual windows and locks & already had the adj int wiper stalk. My base 05 access cab had neither to start with and only the adj int wipers when traded in, lol. Newer RCs with 4x4/auto have buckets but no more 6 lug RC prerunners that I'm aware of.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #43
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
My 08 has buckets and center console, manual windows and locks & already had the adj int wiper stalk. My base 05 access cab had neither to start with and only the adj int wipers when traded in, lol. Newer RCs with 4x4/auto have buckets but no more 6 lug RC prerunners that I'm aware of.
Same here...I think '08 was the last year that SR5s had bucket seats.

And who needs electric windows/locks in a regular cab anyway?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #44
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And who needs electric windows/locks in a regular cab anyway?
Not I..........the pwr dr lock and rr pwr window 20 amp circuits in the fusebox in the dash did come in handy for powering up my auto dimming/maplight/compass/temp/homelink mirror & my extra set of light bar Hella 500ff's too since I doesn't has rr doors or pwr locks in my reg cab.

Oh fuck, threadjack..............................and the composite bed is holding up nicely
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #45
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Not I..........the pwr dr lock and rr pwr window 20 amp circuits in the fusebox in the dash did come in handy for powering up my auto dimming/maplight/compass/temp/homelink mirror & my extra set of light bar Hella 500ff's too since I doesn't has rr doors or pwr locks in my reg cab.

Oh fuck, threadjack..............................and the composite bed is holding up nicely
Nice save
Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #46
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
The composite bed is fine with me. Lighter weight, rust-proof. I sealed the drain holes in the cubbies and storage boxes with some fiber tabe (too much dust sneaking in). Put weatherstrip around the tailgate opening also, again too much dust sneaking in and water also when washing.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #47
TOYOTAPR is on a distinguished road

TOYOTAPR's Tacoma Gallery
This one is from a ford ranger? And the mounting bracket are all the same for any bed extender? Thanks!

Quote:
And honestly, I really like the look of the Ranger extender better than most (aftermarket or Toyota OEM)...seems pretty clean to me:

Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #48
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYOTAPR View Post
This one is from a ford ranger? And the mounting bracket are all the same for any bed extender? Thanks!
Yes it is from a Ford Ranger (my previous truck) and no, they do not mount the same; it is actually the opposite of an OEM mount for a Tacoma.

It was simple enough to mount after actually determining the parts necessary. See my thread on how I did it:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...r-2nd-gen.html
Old 12-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #49
TOYOTAPR is on a distinguished road

TOYOTAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! I found one here from a ford ranger but i don't know if the person have the bracket.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYOTAPR View Post
Thanks! I found one here from a ford ranger but i don't know if the person have the bracket.
If it is cheap, get it! Basically you just need to pick up the striker bolts, washers, and nuts (see the thread for more details).

Sorry for the threadjack (again).
Old 12-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #51
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If it is cheap, get it! Basically you just need to pick up the striker bolts, washers, and nuts (see the thread for more details).

Sorry for the threadjack (again).
Jeez! I leave for 1 hour and look what happens. Good discussion....
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #52
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
I've thrown (litterally) a lot of big fire wood chunks in that truck and have had no issues. The black color will scratch off if you go deep enough though.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #53
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
That composite is some tough shit, don't worry about harming it, it can take a thrashing. The tie down cleats work fine, I think they have like a 230lb load limit, it says on the cleat itself.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #54
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch14 View Post
I've thrown (litterally) a lot of big fire wood chunks in that truck and have had no issues. The black color will scratch off if you go deep enough though.
Speaking of firewood (and threadjacks ), a bed extender works great for holding firewood while camping. It keeps it together, off the ground, makes it easy to move around, and you can cover it with a small tarp if it rains or snows.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #55
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Speaking of firewood (and threadjacks ), a bed extender works great for holding firewood while camping. It keeps it together, off the ground, makes it easy to move around, and you can cover it with a small tarp if it rains or snows.
i use my extender more 'closed' than 'open'. Keep groceries near the gate (Bestop) or whatever.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #56
jroberts07 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeff
jroberts07's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 Tacoma double cab short bed I would NOT recommend throwing anything heavy in to bed. couple years back was tossing firewood rounds into the back and couple days later I notices a huge crack. Then I was rear ended and when I was at the body shop the owner was telling me it was very common for the Tacoma beds to shatter. Luckily mine was replaced due to the wreck I did have to pay for the portion that was pre existing damage. I now always think twice before hauling anything heavy.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #57
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroberts07 View Post
I have a 2006 Tacoma double cab short bed I would NOT recommend throwing anything heavy in to bed. couple years back was tossing firewood rounds into the back and couple days later I notices a huge crack. Then I was rear ended and when I was at the body shop the owner was telling me it was very common for the Tacoma beds to shatter. Luckily mine was replaced due to the wreck I did have to pay for the portion that was pre existing damage. I now always think twice before hauling anything heavy.
While I believe it's possible to crack a Tacoma bed by tossing heavy pieces of wood into it, I don't believe the bolded section. As I said, if bed failures were "very common", why aren't they showing up here, a place where people bitch about seemingly insignificant flaws daily?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #58

gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
^this,

I've tossed wood in the bed and had it almost bounce back out, not on purpose, and no damage.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #59
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroberts07 View Post
the few trucks I've seen so far have all seemed to be more like yours. Large gouges, cracks, scratches, and really faded coloration - almost like an oxidized or dry-rotted look. It didn't look like the whole bed was destroyed or anything, just that it didn't look very durable, overall.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #60
jroberts07 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeff
jroberts07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by birry View Post
the few trucks I've seen so far have all seemed to be more like yours. Large gouges, cracks, scratches, and really faded coloration - almost like an oxidized or dry-rotted look. It didn't look like the whole bed was destroyed or anything, just that it didn't look very durable, overall.
I am not saying they just crack. In most cases where a Tacoma is rear ended the beds tend to crack. The rubber insert that covers the whole bed might aid in distributing the force if throwing heavy objects in the bed. There is very little reinforcement under the composite bed. I am only sharing my experience. I am pretty sure Toyota did this for gas mileage reasons to drop weight. Non the less me personally for what I do I wish they would have stuck with the steel bed.