Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen Bed Questions

Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
birry is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
birry's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen Bed Questions

Hey everyone - just decided to go with a 2nd gen after a lot of looking around, but my one concern is the bed. I have a '86 4x4 with the plastic bedliner and it works great. The 2nd gen Tacomas have this weird fiberglass(?) bedliner thing with all sorts of bells and whistles. It looks complex, not very durable, and kinda cheap/cheesy.

First - what are you guys' impressions of the bed materials and functionality in the 2nd gens? Anyone on here have an older 2nd gen that they've really used to haul dirt, limbs, rocks, metal, etc....and the bed is still ok? Those little sliding adjustable tie down hooks look like trouble waiting to happen, but maybe I'm wrong...

Second - are there any good options for "upgrading" or modifying the bed to be more durable/functional?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
It is composite material - light and strong. I've had no problems with it at all...

And the tie downs work well. They are functional and hold strong.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
There is not a bedliner in it. The whole bed is that composite material, and it's pretty strong. I disagree with it looking cheap and cheesy, I think drop in liners look cheap and cheesy.

People haul all sorts of things with them with no problem. I've treated this bed just as I did my previous metal beds on other trucks and there's nothing wrong. The sliding tie downs work good for most people, just don't expect to tie down a 747 with them.

One favorite mod around here for the bed is a rubber bed mat to keep shit from sliding around..
Old 12-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
It is composite material - light and strong. I've had no problems with it at all...

And the tie downs work well. They are functional and hold strong.
Maybe the ones I've seen have just been abused, but I've looked at '05-'09s and the beds look like they're 20 years old. They are faded, gouged, scratched, and look like all the little pieces have been weathered for decades. It just appears cheap and not durable.

I'll keep looking around and see if I can find some better examples. A bed cover probably wouldn't be a bad idea if I ever get one of these things.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Cloudy-fabricator of things
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Johnathan
Whitecloud's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at some of the pics in my gallery. I use it to haul all kinds of stuff, including a full ton of rock. Even had bricks, steel sheet,steel pipe and tube, all kinds of stuff. I have even taken huge chunks out of it in some places and it is still going strong.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by birry View Post
Maybe the ones I've seen have just been abused, but I've looked at '05-'09s and the beds look like they're 20 years old. They are faded, gouged, scratched, and look like all the little pieces have been weathered for decades. It just appears cheap and not durable.

I'll keep looking around and see if I can find some better examples. A bed cover probably wouldn't be a bad idea if I ever get one of these things.
Oh, I bought my truck with 17,XXX on the clock and it already was scratched, but that is just aesthetic. There are no gouges and, honestly, unless it is a show truck that is no big deal in my opinion.

I had a bedliner on my previous truck and this is actually easier to clean out and there is no dirt, etc., getting trapped under the liner.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Keep in mind these beds can still be Rhino Lined or Line X'd, just like metal beds for extra protection.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
HAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
HAVOC's Tacoma Gallery
A plus that people forgot to add is that it will never rust.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
samiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
samiam's Tacoma Gallery
It's a bad place to mount a cb antenna, but it's strong and durable.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The only issue I have had, having carried very heavy shop machines in it was one of the feet of the machine compressed the bed composite material leaving a small dent if you will. Its hardly noticeable and my own dame fault for not trying to distribute the weight better. Basically the machines metal foot localized its weight to much for the rigidity of the be liner.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #11

Here is an illustration of what my bed's "wear" looks like. Nothing dire:

Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #12
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I suspect you wouldn't be pleased with the appearance of a '05-'09 metal bed that saw hard use, either. What "little pieces" and "bells and whistles" are you referring to? It's a Sheet Molded Composite (SMC) truck bed with a few storage spaces and factory bed rails. Of all the possible concerns about buying a Tacoma, this seems to be one of the least likely to give you trouble. FWIW, people bitch about everything on TW, but SMC bed failure doesn't seem to be a popular topic.

The aluminum steel OEM bed rails are fairly durable, but there are upgraded rail systems available with higher load capacities. I'd start with adding more/better D-rings to the bed floor before messing with the rails. That's a cheaper upgrade, and they provide a better anchor point - if anchored to the frame.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #13
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I've found it to be very durable. Tie downs and bed rails work great too.

The bed floor does scratch very easily but just out a bed mat down and you won't have to worry. Plus stuff won't slide easily then.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I have read thousands of threads since joining TW. I have never seen anyone complain about the bed.

It seems like the only time it comes up is when someone doesn't have experience with it and just assumes it won't be any good.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
Cray is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
Cray's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 05 and have carried many things in the bed. I had big bear 400 four wheeler in the bed and it popped off the loading ramps and slammed into my tailgate. Didnt hurt it at all.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #17
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses. I think the trucks I've looked at have just had REALLY beat up beds - probably abused and never cleaned - stuff like that.

I'm not super concerned with looks, but wanted to make sure all the little compartments, tie-downs, adjustable rail systems, and the bedliner material durability weren't a concern. Y'all have successfully put my concerns to rest.

Also, @Whitecloud - my wife will not appreciate me looking through your pictures. If I finally get a 2nd gen, I might have to do some of those upgrades ;-) I noticed you drive a auto. I'm a manual guy, but I haven't driven the 6-sp MT yet. Looks like a lot of guys are off-roading with autos these days. I guess it works alright...?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #18
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Thousands of pounds of concrete chunks, dirt, rock, rebar and it's holding up just fine.

My one complaint is that it's slippery. My driveway is on a slope, so loading camping gear was a chore. $25 solution was strips of non-skid (grip tape) along the raised parts of the bottom of the bed.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurotron View Post
Thousands of pounds of concrete chunks, dirt, rock, rebar and it's holding up just fine.

My one complaint is that it's slippery. My driveway is on a slope, so loading camping gear was a chore. $25 solution was strips of non-skid (grip tape) along the raised parts of the bottom of the bed.
Nice. It didn't seem any slicker than my plastic bed liner, so it may actually be an upgrade in a lot of ways, including size!