1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen Bed Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by birry, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Dec 11, 2012 at 5:54 AM
    birry

birry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCSB
    OME 885, Bilstein 5100's, Wheeler's (single) AAL
    Hey everyone - just decided to go with a 2nd gen after a lot of looking around, but my one concern is the bed. I have a '86 4x4 with the plastic bedliner and it works great. The 2nd gen Tacomas have this weird fiberglass(?) bedliner thing with all sorts of bells and whistles. It looks complex, not very durable, and kinda cheap/cheesy.

First - what are you guys' impressions of the bed materials and functionality in the 2nd gens? Anyone on here have an older 2nd gen that they've really used to haul dirt, limbs, rocks, metal, etc....and the bed is still ok? Those little sliding adjustable tie down hooks look like trouble waiting to happen, but maybe I'm wrong...

Second - are there any good options for "upgrading" or modifying the bed to be more durable/functional?

Thanks for the help!

2. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    It is composite material - light and strong. I've had no problems with it at all...

And the tie downs work well. They are functional and hold strong.

3. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:05 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    There is not a bedliner in it. The whole bed is that composite material, and it's pretty strong. I disagree with it looking cheap and cheesy, I think drop in liners look cheap and cheesy.

People haul all sorts of things with them with no problem. I've treated this bed just as I did my previous metal beds on other trucks and there's nothing wrong. The sliding tie downs work good for most people, just don't expect to tie down a 747 with them.

One favorite mod around here for the bed is a rubber bed mat to keep shit from sliding around..

4. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    birry

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCSB
    Maybe the ones I've seen have just been abused, but I've looked at '05-'09s and the beds look like they're 20 years old. They are faded, gouged, scratched, and look like all the little pieces have been weathered for decades. It just appears cheap and not durable.

I'll keep looking around and see if I can find some better examples. A bed cover probably wouldn't be a bad idea if I ever get one of these things.

5. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    Whitecloud

Whitecloud Cloudy-fabricator of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    ICON Extended travel Coilovers, Custom leaf pack, custom sliders and F&R bumpers, 295 75 17 Toyo Open Country MT's, On-Board air with F+R connectors, On-Board water with quick disconnect shower.Trimmed fenders and body mount chop. LOTS of wiring, dual battery setup, Solar charging system, with some random lights spread around here and there.
    Take a look at some of the pics in my gallery. I use it to haul all kinds of stuff, including a full ton of rock. Even had bricks, steel sheet,steel pipe and tube, all kinds of stuff. I have even taken huge chunks out of it in some places and it is still going strong.

6. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:10 AM
    friction

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Oh, I bought my truck with 17,XXX on the clock and it already was scratched, but that is just aesthetic. There are no gouges and, honestly, unless it is a show truck that is no big deal in my opinion.

I had a bedliner on my previous truck and this is actually easier to clean out and there is no dirt, etc., getting trapped under the liner.

7. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:10 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    Keep in mind these beds can still be Rhino Lined or Line X'd, just like metal beds for extra protection.

8. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    super_white

super_white Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4X4
    A plus that people forgot to add is that it will never rust.

9. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    samiam

samiam Always here, never there

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Stinky Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OR DCSB 4.0 6MT 1E7 Alu Cab
    Workin' on Workin' on it
    It's a bad place to mount a cb antenna, but it's strong and durable.

10. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:18 AM
    focotacoma

focotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue 4x4 TRD off-road
    Im getting there......
    The only issue I have had, having carried very heavy shop machines in it was one of the feet of the machine compressed the bed composite material leaving a small dent if you will. Its hardly noticeable and my own dame fault for not trying to distribute the weight better. Basically the machines metal foot localized its weight to much for the rigidity of the be liner.

11. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    friction

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Here is an illustration of what my bed's "wear" looks like. Nothing dire:

[​IMG]

12. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:31 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I've found it to be very durable. Tie downs and bed rails work great too.

The bed floor does scratch very easily but just out a bed mat down and you won't have to worry. Plus stuff won't slide easily then.

13. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  14. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    I have read thousands of threads since joining TW. I have never seen anyone complain about the bed.

It seems like the only time it comes up is when someone doesn't have experience with it and just assumes it won't be any good.

15. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    Cray

Cray Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    Currently 3" revtek lift, plan to upgrade.
    I have an 05 and have carried many things in the bed. I had big bear 400 four wheeler in the bed and it popped off the loading ramps and slammed into my tailgate. Didnt hurt it at all.

16. Dec 11, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    birry

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCSB
    Thanks for the responses. I think the trucks I've looked at have just had REALLY beat up beds - probably abused and never cleaned - stuff like that.

I'm not super concerned with looks, but wanted to make sure all the little compartments, tie-downs, adjustable rail systems, and the bedliner material durability weren't a concern. Y'all have successfully put my concerns to rest.

Also, @Whitecloud - my wife will not appreciate me looking through your pictures. If I finally get a 2nd gen, I might have to do some of those upgrades ;-) I noticed you drive a auto. I'm a manual guy, but I haven't driven the 6-sp MT yet. Looks like a lot of guys are off-roading with autos these days. I guess it works alright...?

17. Dec 11, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Thousands of pounds of concrete chunks, dirt, rock, rebar and it's holding up just fine.

My one complaint is that it's slippery. My driveway is on a slope, so loading camping gear was a chore. $25 solution was strips of non-skid (grip tape) along the raised parts of the bottom of the bed.

18. Dec 11, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    birry

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCSB
    Nice. It didn't seem any slicker than my plastic bed liner, so it may actually be an upgrade in a lot of ways, including size!

19. Dec 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Buy the OEM bed mat

20. Dec 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    Whitecloud

Whitecloud Cloudy-fabricator of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    ICON Extended travel Coilovers, Custom leaf pack, custom sliders and F&R bumpers, 295 75 17 Toyo Open Country MT's, On-Board air with F+R connectors, On-Board water with quick disconnect shower.Trimmed fenders and body mount chop. LOTS of wiring, dual battery setup, Solar charging system, with some random lights spread around here and there.
    My auto works great and I use the full range of gears when wheeling. I also have changed the gears front and rear to 4.56's from stock. But it wheels great.

Products Discussed in

To Top