1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical gurus, I need some "beep" help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ihadmail, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Dec 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    ihadmail

ihadmail [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chapin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Car seat
    Hey guys,

I want to add a piezo buzzer to my auto lock circuit so that my truck beeps when locking. That's the easy part, and I don't need any explanation to do that.

The issue is, I only want it to beep when pushing the lock button twice in a short period of time. Is there a flip-flop, latching relay or pulse counter that you know of that would do the trick for me?

The keyless entry control module has an output for dual pressed unlock signal for the passenger doors, but I can't find any information on how the circuitry recognizes the difference in one press or multiple presses in a timespan.

Thanks in advance!

2. Dec 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    ihadmail

Member:
    Chapin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Car seat
    I'm inpatient and think I may have found the solution to my own problem. Would someone please verify this train of logic for me?

I found this on/off delay timed relay: http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/basic-instructions.php

If I set the on delay to be longer than the pulse generated by the lock button on the fob, let's say the pulse is .25 seconds and I set the on delay to .5 seconds. The first relay will not output +12v until after the trigger pulse has stopped. If I set the off delay to 5 seconds, it will continue to output +12v for the duration of the 5 seconds.

The second relay will now be energized with +12v for 5 seconds and close if the trigger is actuated again during that time, outputting the +12v to the load for the duration of the trigger.

See attached for my diagram.

Could someone please verify my train of thought before I waste $30 on a snazzy adjustable timed relay?

Relay Diagram.jpg

3. Dec 12, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    ihadmail

Member:
    Chapin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Car seat
    After looking at the pac TR7 I don't think it will do what I want it to. I ordered the timed relay that I linked above, so I guess I'll know for sure in a couple of weeks. They are built to order. If it works out I'll do a writeup so anyone else that wants a chirp/beep on 2nd lock press only can have it too.

Products Discussed in

To Top