1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DC LB TRD Sport or Access Cab TRD Off Road

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRICOMA, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Jan 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA [OP] Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Hello everyone,

I am looking to get a Tacoma within 6 months or so and I am deciding whether to get a DC LB or a Access cab. I must have the 6ft bed for the DC short bed is out of the question. I would like to get people's opinion on how one does compared to the other in off road situations, daily driving. This will be my every day driver but I plan to go on some light trails and eventually harder trails once I am more experienced. Why does the DC LB only come in a Sport but not Off Road. That ask the question..."does the DC LB not a good for off road situations?". Thank you all in advance.

Tri
    Carlsbad, CA

2. Jan 28, 2009 at 9:12 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    DC LB Sport!!! After driving the Off-Road, I say the Sport is better on street. I've always had a sweet spot for Sports too so I am a little biased.

I wouldn't know about the off road capabilities and such but as a DD and for the street, do the Sport.

3. Jan 29, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Thanks for the reply man. I am trying to compare more the Double Cab Longbed to the Access Cab. I know the DC LB is slightly longer and has a larger turning radius like the standard DC Tundra. The wheel base is also shorter on the Access Cab which is equal to the DC SB, but I don't want a shortbed cause I carry my dogs back there in kennels so the bigger the better.

4. Jan 29, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    BlueXenon

BlueXenon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles and Newport Coast
    Vehicle:
    2009 Magnetic gray TRD sport (SOLD) 2004 Radiant Red TRD Off Road (SOLD)
    Pro Comp 6" Stage 2 lift, N-Fab nerf bars, tinted windows, debadged, 6000k xenon headlights, 18" ProComp 7089 Wheels in black with BFG AT KO 33's, SnugLid tonneau cover, Line X'ed TRD skid plate. SOLD! Waiting for the 3rd Gen!
    Damn, I never even realized that the DC LB doesnt even come in TRD Off road trim. If you're going to do mostly on road driving id stick to the sport which is what I have. Later down the line you can upgrade your stock tires for better all terrain tires which will help off roading.

5. Jan 29, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    I have done a bit of offroading with my 2WD sport. It has a limited slip diff so it's not too bad, but not as good as a 4WD. On road, real easy to drive, more economical than a 4WD and cheaper to buy in the first place.

FWIW the 2WD happily tows a boat up the ramp with a minimal amount of spinning.

6. Jan 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    If you don't need the cab space, go with the Access Cab. All differences aside between the locking differential (Off-Road) and the limited-slip (Sport), the shorter your wheel base the better when it comes to off-roading. Try getting to the end of the road and turning around one of those Double Cab longbeds. It's as long as a Tundra, but narrower, so the tires don't have as much space to turn. That's my two cents, anyway. :rolleyes:

I mean, you said you needed the bed space, not the cab space.

7. Jan 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks again everyone.

Dustin, That is what I was looking for. I prefer the bed space over cab space since I am getting a truck. I was more worried about the length as you mentioned. I did notice that I was the same as the Tundra and the turning radius is the same as a tundra too. If that is the case...do I go tundra? They are basically giving the tundras away at the dealerships. Our family has a 2007 DC longbed....talk about a long truck. It is 2wd. I'm looking for 4wd and think for an everyday driver the Tacoma would be better.

8. Jan 29, 2009 at 12:22 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Glad I could help!
    Good luck with your search, post some pics when you find a nice one.

9. Jan 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    Tino4980

Tino4980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bermuda Dunes, California
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4, 6 Speed , Magnetic Gray
    Access Cab if no kids, DC if you have kids or are going to have kids, i love my access cab my friends fit back there pretty comfortable plus i like the look of the access cab better, but either one your going to have a bad ass tacoma

PICT0041.jpg

10. Jan 29, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Access Cab. I'm biased cause I have one.

If you need the room, get the access cab, and buy a Sienna too.

11. Jan 29, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tino, That's a nice truck. I do like the look of the Access cab. When the bed is shorter than the cab like the DC SB, I'm just not a fan. One reason I specified DC LB...at least it looks somewhat proportional. No kids right now. I have my dogs and that's it. Plus I think having the 2007 Tundra DC LB at the house would solve most of my passenger issues.

12. Feb 19, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    swcurby

swcurby Member

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    G4 fold-a-cover, SS oval tube steps, AVH-4000DVD, ScanGaugeII
    I recently bought the 09 Tacoma DC LB TRD Sport w tow package (Jan 2). I researched and drove both the DC LB and SB. I wanted the DC. I know a guy with an 08 access cab TRD Sport also.

The DC LB has 6" more wheel base than the SB or the access cab. This 6" is huge for road driving. This makes the truck drive much smoother. The Sport definitely has a much tighter suspension compared to the Offroad or SR5. The Offroad DC (same wheelbase as access cab) seemed to bounce from front to back and had rough ride over bumps and potholes in road at normal driving speeds. Longer wheel base definitely helps that. The SR5 drives even smoother but you loose the luxuries of the TRD. Hated the interior cloth of the SR5, but you can upgrade to TRD seat covers (definite must for SR5).

The turning radius is much better than my last truck which was a 00 silverado access cab (roughly same wheel base and length, but much wider). Loved my old truck but needed a new one (300k on old one). PS: Love the new truck. The turning radius is not bad at all for a truck, especially one its length.

I originally wanted the DC LB as TRD Offroad until I found out they don't make it. I would imagine that a LB defeats the purpose of the offroad, since shorter wheelbase is desired in offroading. The difference in the Offroad and Sport is roughly: hood, rims, tires, shocks, locking rear differential, VSC + A-TRAC, HAC, DAC, and skid plate. The DC LB doesn't have locking rear differential, HAC, DAC or skid plate. I'm pretty sure that all Toyota's have VSC now. I will have to check when I get home.

The sport is 4x4 standard. I've driven it in the heavy snow the midwest saw this winter many times (up to 8"). It doesn't get stuck anywhere (when in 4wd). 2wd is questionable in snow unless you have weight in the bed. I would imagine that it would do well in the mud also but haven't gotten there yet.

Love the extra interior. The back of the access cab is tight and not comfortable for more than 15-20 min unless you happen find coach seats on airplanes comfortable too. I'm 6' 1" 180lbs and have ridden the back of many access cabs. It definitely isn't the worst but comfortable is not a word I would use to describe it. Also, never thought of getting a backup camera, but use the one that is standard on the TRD all the time. It is awesome.

I wouldn't go for the Tundra. Even though they are giving them away. The Tacoma is still cheaper, and, if you don't need the extra power and know what you are doing, you can get a great deal. If you get the tow package, I'm not sure about the access cab, but the DC is rated for 6000 lbs.

You need to decide whether you need the interior space or not. Unless you are going to really become a hardcore offroader, the Sport vs the Offroad is not an issue. You can always change the shocks and tires on the sport. That is my 2cents. I love my new truck and wouldn't trade it for anything else, but then again if I had an access cab I probably would trade that either. The DC LB TRD Sport is also an eye grabber cause there aren't many out there. I got the only one within 350 miles. I have seen a few DC LB but no DC LB TRD Sports. If you have a choice, I think the JBL system is a joke in all Toyota's. Save your money for a sweet aftermarket system.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

13. Feb 19, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    SWCURBY,

Great information. Thank you. I think I will go with an access cab, in my other post I am asking for a friend that's why you may see me asking about a 09 DC SB. I don't need the room for inside cabin. If I do I also have a 07 Tundra DC with a 8ft bed in the family.

Tri

14. Feb 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    BLOCKADE

BLOCKADE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Front Bed D-Rings...
    You all keep talking about different ride feel between the Sport and the Off Road... They have the same suspension. The only difference in the ride would be the tires. Also, I have two dogs as well. I haul them around all the time in their kennels in the bed of my DC short bed. There is plenty of room if that is all you are concerned about. They are big dogs too, with large kennels.

15. Feb 19, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    Tino4980

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thats cool so what color are you going to get and do want to get 4x4 or 4x2?

16. Feb 19, 2009 at 10:57 PM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tino,

I will likely get Black or White. But I am open to Silver or Gray. It will depend on what is available at the time. Access Cab with TRD Off Road 4x4. Looking at your truck made up my mind. My friend has the DC version of your truck. That is a nice color.

Here is our Tundra
    [​IMG]

17. Feb 19, 2009 at 11:28 PM
    Tino4980

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Awsome you will love it man nice colors to choose from, thats a bad ass tundra and now your going to have the TACO next to it ;)

18. Feb 20, 2009 at 1:40 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    The sport and Off-road are both using blistien shocks... but they're different tunes. So they're not 'identical' per say.

In the long run... if you get into serious serious off-roading, you can always add lockers (expensive, not easy... but can be done) if you have the sport. AccessCab for sure if you don't need the room (honestly I wish I had the DC myself sometimes, but I do prefer the look of AC by far). The locker works well, got me out of sand on fully aired tires in my pre-runner off-road. Flip side is no LSD, which sucks for rain and such. If you have 4wd i'd suspsect that'd be a non-issue.

Also for a point of ref, the DC short bed and Access Cab have the same wheel base and turn radius. The long bed DC is just too massive imo (found a great speedway blue one, 6MT, TRD sport, the works... but decided against it awhile ago). Also you might find this a bit interesting but I'm pretty sure the taco AC has a better turn radius than my G35 coupe did...

No matter what route you take, you'll love the truck. Good hunting :D

19. Feb 20, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    I did notice that on Toyota's website. It has the same turning radius of the Tundra DC Standard Bed. But it is nowhere near the Tundra DC long bed we have. As bad as the turning radius is on that truck, it really not bad at all and very easy to drive.

Curb to Curb Turning Circle
    AC and DC SB - 40.7
    Tundra DC and Taco DC LB - 44
    Tundra DC LB - 49

So going from 49 to 40.7 will be a blessing

Products Discussed in

To Top