LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

tailgate bounce with & without extender

Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Horndog is on a distinguished road
Horndog's Tacoma Gallery
tailgate bounce with & without extender

1.Is there a way to stop tailgate bounce if driving with tailgate down and no load on it?
2. I assume tailgate will still bounce even with extender?
3. Anybody know how much weight the bed extender will support...like a bunch of lumber or steel resting on top?
4. Are the straps the only thing preventing the extender from being removed when tailgate is open?
5. Without a tailgate lock,all someone needs to do is open the tailgate and the extender can be removed?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Horndog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horndog View Post
1.Is there a way to stop tailgate bounce if driving with tailgate down and no load on it?
3. Anybody know how much weight the bed extender will support...like a bunch of lumber or steel resting on top?
4. Are the straps the only thing preventing the extender from being removed when tailgate is open?
5. Without a tailgate lock,all someone needs to do is open the tailgate and the extender can be removed?
Anybody?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
1. Run a ratcheting load strap between the tailgate and bumper or receiver hitch. A big bungie would probably work, too. Or smoother roads. Or an upgraded suspension.

2. Maybe, but the one on my old truck didn't seem to bounce at all.

3. No, but the tailgate is known to be a tad weak ... and why would you want to do that?

4. Yes, unless you run a cable lock between it and the bumper or receiver hitch.

5. Even with a tailgate lock, it wouldn't be too hard to remove the mounting hardware and take the extender, or just rip it free. Thankfully, I believe mounting hardware is available separately, so the thief wouldn't be too inconvenienced.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
You could buy a folding extender, that way it isn't so obvious you have one if the tailgate is up. The extender I had for my 1st gen locked into the tailgate latches so there was no bounce when it was down and in place. Look here:
http://www.etrailer.com/Bed-Extender...cleid=20124429
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I like the design of that one. It doesn't eat up space with rounded corners, and having it fold up is a bonus.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
maybe the ezdown tailgate assist that redline sells (along with their hood struts) kind of keeps the tailgate pushed down with it open? i know it lets the tailgate down gently. IDK, anyone have one?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Dan View Post
maybe the ezdown tailgate assist that redline sells (along with their hood struts) kind of keeps the tailgate pushed down with it open? i know it lets the tailgate down gently. IDK, anyone have one?
At the very least it would act as a damper.

I'm going to ask the stupid question, if there is no load on the tailgate, why don't you just close it and not worry about it bouncing around?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

I'm going to ask the stupid question, if there is no load on the tailgate, why don't you just close it and not worry about it bouncing around?
^x2, thinking outside the box. lol
Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
why have it down if there is no load in it? it doesn't save mileage and is illegal in california (what isn't these days). all it is doing is creating a higher "bumper" that could possibly kill someone that rear-ends you if there car is low enough.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Horndog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

I guess that did sound like an odd question. I have a chunk of land and often carry a lot of brush in the back to burn piles. The brush basically does not put any load on the tailgate so it bounces. Bungee sounds like the simple solution.

Question as to bounce with the tailgate down bed & extenderd on, would be when carrying something on the road but same situation, something that needs the room, but is very light in weight.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
I guess that did sound like an odd question. I have a chunk of land and often carry a lot of brush in the back to burn piles. The brush basically does not put any load on the tailgate so it bounces. Bungee sounds like the simple solution.

Question as to bounce with the tailgate down bed & extenderd on, would be when carrying something on the road but same situation, something that needs the room, but is very light in weight.
If you still had a bit of bounce with a bed extender, the simplest solution would be to run a bungee, strap, or piece of rope from the center of the extender to a receiver hitch or some other anchor point near the middle. It shouldn't take more than that.

To double up on the bounce and security concerns, use a Master Lock Python cable lock in place of a bungee. They work very well, and will allow you to put tension on the tailgate/extender.