1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bogs while offroading going up hills and in sand/mud/gravel

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trooper12, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Dec 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well that is ruled out then...

Another thing you could try is to power brake it, although I recommend doing it in gravel, is to turn your VSC off and stand on the brake with your left foot, put it in low and gently ease into the throttle and see if you can get a tire to spin. The catch is that I hear that the 2012 have a more aggressive version of the "runaway Prius safety" that may not let you do it. Mine had that recall done to it when I bought it and basically, if you push the throttle and brake at the same time the computer will kill the throttle so that you can come to a stop. On mine I can still power brake it. I have to be moving to for the runaway mod to take affect. I tried it going 30 down a hill once and I was pushing the throttle and eased into the brake and saw the rpm start to drop so I stomped the throttle to the floor but it made no difference the vehicle just dropped to idle. 2012 X-runners were having problems doing burnouts for drag races because of this, but you may be ok since yours is an auto. Not positive though.

2. Dec 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    trooper12

trooper12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 PreRunner
    maxtrac 4" lift spindles, wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf pack. nothin special...
    yea it wont do that at all, it just cuts power. the rpms will go up to about 2k and just stay there and nothing happens... and the runaway works at pretty much any speed on my truck. the slowest ive tired it was 15mph

3. Dec 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    When I power brake it, it will rap up to about 1800-2000rpm pretty quick but any rpm after that and the torque converter locks up and I am straight spinning tires.

4. Dec 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I regretted my old 2.7L every day for 6 years.:(Now I have a V6:D

Its still does not sound right. Like the traction control is still on but says it is off?

Go to a gravel parking lot turn off the trac then turn wheel all the way to the right with the trans in 1st then floor it. If you can't get one tire roaring then there is something up with the vsc/abs/trac system. With my old 2006 2wd if i did this wheels where going to spin.

5. Dec 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    to 650H1
    After some discovery it s clear to me you don't have a clue past your OR you love so much. STFU and move on.

6. Dec 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    I'm not having any problems with my 2.7 5 speed running 58 lb 33.3" tires.

7. Dec 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    No need to be confrontational. I understand 100% about differentials. I was only interjecting some humor. BTW, my 2wd Taco is not 1wd. It has LSD. I guess that makes it 1.5wd?

8. Dec 17, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    Sorry, missed the humor... and I didn't mean to come across as confrontational... poor choice of wording on my part.

Products Discussed in

To Top