Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you guys rely on the maintenance light?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #21
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
To the op....yes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPib View Post
With fully synthetic, you can rely on the light, I do, but if you're running conventional then the light interval is too long.
Modern conventional oil is better to be changed around 5K miles, Synthetic goes up to 7K-8K (I change mine at 7K [Royal purple synthetic oil w/ TRD Oil Filter).

Sooo... No, I don't go by the light. It's actually more of a nuisance.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #23
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
I'm an idiot, it's a light....so yes.

Mine blinks on start up about 4,500 miles into last reset so I have some warning.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #24
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
I change every 5000, so its not a big deal for me, I'm at even numbers, in other words I just changed it at 35,000, so due at 40,000. The light is accurate.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #25
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
That is what that light is for. When it starts flashing I wash my truck and when it goes solid I put air in the tires and clean the inside of the windshield.

I figured if they wanted me to change the oil then they should have had a light that flashed, "change oil."
Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #26
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
I change every 5000, so its not a big deal for me, I'm at even numbers, in other words I just changed it at 35,000, so due at 40,000. The light is accurate.
I'm one of those OCD #&$@% too...
Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #28
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
I can say for sure the light comes on at exactly 5000 miles. That is if whoever did your last oil change reset the light.

I was out yesterday and the light came on I looked at the odometer and it showed 15,060. I looked up at the dealer tag and it showed next change at 15,060.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #29
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
I'm one of those OCD #&$@% too...
LOL, blessing and a curse kinda thing. I always know when I'm due for a change!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #30
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
since its there... yeah lol.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #31
5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously
tacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
I don't use it, I just got 5k every time. And use trip A for mpg, trip B for oil change intervals
Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #32
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I never look at my main odometer, just the trips. The light usually gives me warnings before it comes on full times. Upon startup, it will flash a few times and go off, and one day just comes on and stays on.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #33
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With fully synthetic, you can rely on the light, I do, but if you're running conventional then the light interval is too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithCamera View Post
Modern conventional oil is better to be changed around 5K miles, Synthetic goes up to 7K-8K (I change mine at 7K [Royal purple synthetic oil w/ TRD Oil Filter).

Sooo... No, I don't go by the light. It's actually more of a nuisance.
You should not be using conventional oil in the 1GR-FE, it is designed for semi-synthetic, and that is what the 5000 miles is designed around. You can go longer on fully synthetic, but shouldn't even be using conventional oil.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #34
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
I follow the normal usage maintenance schedule, so for me the light is a convenient reminder.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #35
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
The light is there to keep the EPA happy...I change my oil with Mobil 1 5w-30 at every 5000 increment, as in 5k, 10k, 15k and such. The filters I buy by the case (Wix from RockAuto) and the Mobil 1 comes from Wally World in the 5 qt jugs with a couple always in stock. I maintain 4 light trucks, a Jeep and now the wife new subu WXI, and 5 motorcycles. I can't waste time buying supplies for each when the oil needs changing. (Ok, the 62 Town Wagon doesn't get too many miles these days)
Old 12-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #36
396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BMC  -  Retired USNR
396tears's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Just for reference: the maint reqd light will flash for a bit when you turn on the truck at 4500 miles since the last reset. Goes solid at 5000
log it in your maintenan
ce book

reset your trip odometer

reset the other trip odometer if necessary

write it down on your desk calendar

tell your wife or gf to remind you 5k miles later

set up a reminder on your computer
Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #37
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
New taco owner here, so we don't change our oil every 3,000 miles?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #38
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Seriously? My owner's manual says 5k so I really must question this.
Manual does state 5k oil/filter changes regardless of oil used, but when I ran conventional I changed around 3500, and many old school guys still change at 3K, especially if using the truck hard. I am sure that is what is meant here.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #39
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
New taco owner here, so we don't change our oil every 3,000 miles?
Modern engines, modern oil...3k is just too often.

I now go 7,500 miles between changes. First report back from BlackStone gave me a good report which is why I'm at 7,500 mile intervals. I'll be sending them another sample in Jan or Feb when I do my next change but I expect the same results.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
Manual does state 5k oil/filter changes regardless of oil used, but when I ran conventional I changed around 3500, and many old school guys still change at 3K, especially if using the truck hard. I am sure that is what is meant here.
I use regular old SAE dino oil. Every 5,000. No issues. I personally wouldn't go longer than 5k, with any oil for that matter.