Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you guys rely on the maintenance light?

Old 12-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #41
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
I use regular old SAE dino oil. Every 5,000. No issues. I personally wouldn't go longer than 5k, with any oil for that matter.
I'm with you bro. Clean cheap oil is better than dirty expense synthetic any day.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #42
ibjames is on a distinguished road
ibjames's Tacoma Gallery
oh wow, I fully expected to get flamed.. I like some of the ideas using 5k increments.. on previous car I did full synthetic every 5k miles.. a little wasteful, but I always knew my car had good oil in it
Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #43
CVAC085 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
CVAC085's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
New taco owner here, so we don't change our oil every 3,000 miles?
Depends on who you speak to about it. My mechanic said every 3,000-5,000 miles is fine. When I had my Rav 4 once she hit 100,000 miles I did all my own oil changes and used high mileage oil. Worked out fine for me. Only suggestion is not to let it go over 5,000. Even if you have to change it a little sooner. Better off safe than sorry!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #45
07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
07 sport 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I change my oil every 2500-3000 miles, but I drive a gravel road daily and take frequent shorts trips that are often less than a mile. (Mobil 1 and an OEM filter)
Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #46
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Da_da View Post
And here is a paragraph out of that:

While the car-servicing industry is clear about its reasons for believing in the 3,000-mile oil change, customers cling to it only because they're largely unaware of advances in automotive technology. Among 2010 models, the average recommended oil change interval, based on a normal service schedule, is about 7,800 miles — more than double the traditional 3,000-mile interval. The longest oil change interval is 20,000 miles, for all Porsches. The shortest oil change interval is 5,000 miles in some late-model Toyotas, but the carmaker has begun shifting its fleet to 10,000-mile oil change intervals using synthetic oil.

Our Tacomas would be those 5k vehicles...
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #47
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
meh. I go 10,xxx with Mobil 1.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #48
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
I am running full syn and will not go over 5K. Even though most of the Toyota fleet has gone to 10K intervals, the Tacoma did not for some reason? I am going with Toyota's reasoning here...
Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #49
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Trip B as stated by others
Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #50
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

Name: Angie
MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
I would also like to point out that if you do any sort of nasty off-roading (mud, sand, beach), you should stick to more frequent oil changes (preferably, right after said-event). Our intakes suck up a lot of shit due to their placement, and while I'd like to think nothing is getting in the engine, avid off-roaders have seized their 2nd gens with only 50k-miles on them 0.0

For folks who are running a quality SYN to it's max of 15,000-miles, I would recommend changing the filter every 3,000-5,000-miles. It helps keep particulates out of the oil. Mileage recommendations are usually based on how quickly the oil will break down, not how quickly it may get dangerously dirty.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #51
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I've never gone by the light. In the 5 1/2 years since getting the truck with the number of miles on it now the light would have come on 3 times... but i've changed the oil 15 times (truck has 19,800 miles right now.)