Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you guys rely on the maintenance light?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
ibjames is on a distinguished road
ibjames's Tacoma Gallery
Do you guys rely on the maintenance light?

I was wondering how many people rely on that light to do their oil. I just got my truck, I know that I should be getting close, I have to check the invoice to see what the original miles were to tell how close I really am to needing my oil done. Part of me thinks I should just wait for the indicator to come on, what do you guys do?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
MrTacoma is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Firefighter
MrTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I do, I think the light trips 5000 miles after u reset it...I just wait for it to go off but I starting getting the supplies couple 100 miles before I exspect the light to trip I keep track of mileage and maintence
Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
CVAC085 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
CVAC085's Tacoma Gallery
When the light comes on I think it trips before the 5,000 mile mark to give you a heads up that it's coming close for the change. If it blinks at you all the time then I think you hit your mark. Prior to my Taco purchase, I had my Rav 4 and kept a close eye on mileage. Since my Taco purchase and my first oil change under my belt, I have the sticker from the dealership when the mileage is at 5,000 miles. So I go by that now. It wouldn't hurt to set your odometer trips (either A or B) to keep strictly for your mileage. I have to do that next trip to get my oil done.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
I change at 3000 so no, I just use my trip B to keep up with miles.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
TheSloth has a spectacular aura aboutTheSloth has a spectacular aura about
Name: David
TheSloth's Tacoma Gallery
always rely on it, the light is the best thing they have done to the modern car.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I do it at 5000 miles regardless of the light coming on. Doesn't always seem to come on in exactly 5k from when it was reset.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
What light? Mine has never came on once in the 2+ years I've owned my truck. (2010)
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
What light? Mine has never came on once in the 2+ years I've owned my truck. (2010)
You change it before it comes on.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
sometimes i do
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAggie View Post
You change it before it comes on.
huh? it doesnt reset itself when it detects clean oil. maybe he drives very very little and he GETS it changed before it comes on..i get it.

i like the light. i do write the current mileage and date on the oil filter with a gray sharpie marker. just in case.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
Robnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
Not at all, it's more of a nuisance to reset it than to actually change the oil. 5,000 or 6 months whichever comes first. I've never relied on "idiot" lights.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
I also use my trip B to keep track on my oil change intervals, but it typically coincides with the maintenance light.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Just for reference: the maint reqd light will flash for a bit when you turn on the truck at 4500 miles since the last reset. Goes solid at 5000
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Just for reference: the maint reqd light will flash for a bit when you turn on the truck at 4500 miles since the last reset. Goes solid at 5000
Your avatar is creeping me out....
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Since it starts flashing at 4500 miles I use it to remind me that the 5k is coming up so I can gather up supplies for the change. Even w/o the light, it's not hard at all... change when the odo is at 35k, then 40k, then 45k, 50k, 55k.... If you can count by 5's, you can change your oil on time.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
No, I use trip B for tracking OCI. At ~4500 miles the "MAINT REQ'D" light starts flashing and it serves the purpose of a reminder to start watching trip B, and at that point I reset the light immediately just because it's annoying. So I reset it twice every oil change: once when it first lights (to remind me 5k is coming soon) and again when I actually change the oil. I don't know why the light annoys me, maybe I'm just more comfortable with having fewer warnings lit up on my dash. BTW the light will burn steady anytime the ignition is on when 5k is reached.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

Name: Angie
MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
With fully synthetic, you can rely on the light, I do, but if you're running conventional then the light interval is too long.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPib View Post
With fully synthetic, you can rely on the light, I do, but if you're running conventional then the light interval is too long.
Seriously? My owner's manual says 5k so I really must question this.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
Socal Tacoma
boopie is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Ramon
boopie's Tacoma Gallery
i rely on the light all the time. When it starts blinking i gather all the supplies and do the oil change when i got free time. I do this to all my toyota vehicles.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #20
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
huh? it doesnt reset itself when it detects clean oil. maybe he drives very very little and he GETS it changed before it comes on..i get it.

i like the light. i do write the current mileage and date on the oil filter with a gray sharpie marker. just in case.
I do all my own oil changes and I drive it a lot and it still has never came on.

And I've went over the recommended 8000 km oil change interval and still don't get a maint req light on. I dunno...