1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New winch, WHERE to put the solenoid box?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Desert Drifter, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Dec 12, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    Not sure where this post should go, but here goes:

I have a new plate bumper and a Warn 8000-s winch bolted into it. I need to mount the solenoid box nearby but need to access it easily to plug in the remote and should it be mounted in any particular orientation?

The bracket that came with it makes no sense to me, but I could drill a couple holes off to the side of the winch and mount the bracket there.

I was thinking those of you with a winch probably have some good ideas as to make it accesable or keep it away from rain coming into the grille, etc.

Let me know what works good, what is a pain, what make them die early.

2. Dec 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    Strautins

Strautins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SL,UT
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR; 2011 TRD OffRoad TX Pro
    2019- 265/70R17 on methods, GFC to be installed: Yukon 5.29, ARB oba, snorkel. (Lift tires armor TBD) 2011- Retired:OME lift, Light Racing UCA, Demello Front, Demello sliders, Brute force rear, TX pro wheels, 285/75s, snorkel, M8000, ARB OBA, Century shell, Relentless skids, Cobra 75
    My Demello bumper had room on either side of the winch as well as a hole to access it. I used an ARB bracket to mount it in an upright position. I know a lot of people just mount it right on top of their plate bumper above the winch too...

3. Dec 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    Desert Drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    I guess I can fabricate a bracket to place the solenoid box above the winch. This location may have reasonable accesibility. But when driving in the rain it will be wet for sure, guessing this is okay? Also this location will be in front of the radiator and transmission cooler (or is that the AC condenser?) this will not impeeded airflow too much?

4. Dec 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    Strautins

Strautins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SL,UT
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR; 2011 TRD OffRoad TX Pro
    2019- 265/70R17 on methods, GFC to be installed: Yukon 5.29, ARB oba, snorkel. (Lift tires armor TBD) 2011- Retired:OME lift, Light Racing UCA, Demello Front, Demello sliders, Brute force rear, TX pro wheels, 285/75s, snorkel, M8000, ARB OBA, Century shell, Relentless skids, Cobra 75
    You'll be fine with it out in the open, I have buddies who have had them exposed to the elements on the front of their jeeps for years without any problems. And the reduction in airflow will not be significant enough to impact anything.

5. Dec 12, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    Desert Drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Sounds like a plan. Time to get the winch fully functional!

6. Dec 14, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    Desert Drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Got the job done.

For my application I fabbed up a block of aluminum that raises the contactor box 3/4" and places it rearward 3/4". This is reference from the place where the supplied bracket places it on the top of the winch. Thanks for the advice guys!

Products Discussed in

To Top