Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New winch, WHERE to put the solenoid box?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
New winch, WHERE to put the solenoid box?

Not sure where this post should go, but here goes:

I have a new plate bumper and a Warn 8000-s winch bolted into it. I need to mount the solenoid box nearby but need to access it easily to plug in the remote and should it be mounted in any particular orientation?

The bracket that came with it makes no sense to me, but I could drill a couple holes off to the side of the winch and mount the bracket there.

I was thinking those of you with a winch probably have some good ideas as to make it accesable or keep it away from rain coming into the grille, etc.

Let me know what works good, what is a pain, what make them die early.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Strautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 2nd Lt @TBS
Name: Nick
Strautins's Tacoma Gallery
My Demello bumper had room on either side of the winch as well as a hole to access it. I used an ARB bracket to mount it in an upright position. I know a lot of people just mount it right on top of their plate bumper above the winch too...
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I guess I can fabricate a bracket to place the solenoid box above the winch. This location may have reasonable accesibility. But when driving in the rain it will be wet for sure, guessing this is okay? Also this location will be in front of the radiator and transmission cooler (or is that the AC condenser?) this will not impeeded airflow too much?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Strautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shedStrautins is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 2nd Lt @TBS
Name: Nick
Strautins's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine with it out in the open, I have buddies who have had them exposed to the elements on the front of their jeeps for years without any problems. And the reduction in airflow will not be significant enough to impact anything.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
Sounds like a plan. Time to get the winch fully functional!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Got the job done.

For my application I fabbed up a block of aluminum that raises the contactor box 3/4" and places it rearward 3/4". This is reference from the place where the supplied bracket places it on the top of the winch. Thanks for the advice guys!