Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lower control arms

Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
araizu1 is on a distinguished road
araizu1's Tacoma Gallery
Lower control arms

So here's the deal i crash my truck forget about the details one of the Lower control arms gets damage i need to replace it with the dealer that will cost me 200 bucks not much seems ok the price but on the other hand I'm thinking maybe if the price is right getting some better LCA's im running on camburg UCA's so what do you guys think, should i get aftermarket or OEM LCA's? and if the answer is aftermarket what brand? how much? photos if you haved will work
Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
$200 seems awfully cheap .
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
X2
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by araizu1 View Post
So here's the deal i crash my truck forget about the details one of the Lower control arms gets damage i need to replace it with the dealer that will cost me 200 bucks not much seems ok the price but on the other hand I'm thinking maybe if the price is right getting some better LCA's im running on camburg UCA's so what do you guys think, should i get aftermarket or OEM LCA's? and if the answer is aftermarket what brand? how much? photos if you haved will work
If a Toyota dealership is performing the repairs, they may only use OEM parts. Some independent shops are reluctant to install some aftermarket parts, too. Better check with the shop before ordering anything.

Prior to the crash, was there anything wrong with the functionality of the OEM LCAs? Do you plan to alter anything that would benefit from or require aftermarket LCAs?

Any additional expense over replacing it with an OEM LCA might better be spent on spindle gussets and LCA armor.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Maybe it's used, and the shop planned to reuse his bushings?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
There is no way a dealership is replacing an OEM LCA assembly for $200
Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Well it probably isn't a new toyota part or a cheap aftermarket. Just looked on rockauto.com and they cheapest lower control arm you can get is $144 for 4x4 and the brand is Mevotech.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
. <--------- is called a "period" and is used to end a sentence, like this. Just wanted to share that real quick.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Dude Tim View Post
Well it probably isn't a new toyota part or a cheap aftermarket. Just looked on rockauto.com and they cheapest lower control arm you can get is $144 for 4x4 and the brand is Mevotech.
MEVOTECH!

Might be great stuff, but with a name like Mevotech, I'd have to know more.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Mevotech is made in Canada. Not sure if that's a blessing or a curse.

OP is in Baja Calif? $200 may be doable with a Mevotech LCA and Mexican labor rates. IMO the LCA is easier to replace than the UCA, without a long bolt interfering with the inner fender.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
araizu1 is on a distinguished road
araizu1's Tacoma Gallery
I have a friend who works on the dealership thats the reason about the lower cost ... people reply but none respond my question do you guys know?like?agree? any suggestions? what should i do? get the OEM part o put an aftermarket? and what aftermarket?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
Tacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud of
Navy: 2nd class electronic tech.
Name: Bob
Tacologist's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
. <--------- is called a "period" and is used to end a sentence, like this. Just wanted to share that real quick.
Just two many English teachers these dayz on the knet.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacologist View Post
Just two many English teachers these dayz on the knet.
I know right :screwy:
Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to spend about $1600 Total Chaos has some LCA's. I think it is absolutely crazy to spend that much and not go a little more to get LT. You always buy some gussets and skids for the stock lower's and put them on yourself. If you weren't forever away I'd help ya out for something to do. Depends on how much wheeling you do. All I would do is beat my truck if I lived down by you. (Baja is what I saw)
Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by araizu1 View Post
I have a friend who works on the dealership thats the reason about the lower cost ... people reply but none respond my question do you guys know?like?agree? any suggestions? what should i do? get the OEM part o put an aftermarket? and what aftermarket?
What do you think aftermarket LCAs will do for you that the OEM LCAs can't accomplish?

Answering that would be a good start.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
What do you think aftermarket LCAs will do for you that the OEM LCAs can't accomplish?

Answering that would be a good start.

They would be stronger if he does some wheeling. Ability to mount a second shock.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
They would be stronger if he does some wheeling. Ability to mount a second shock.
Sure, but is that something he even needs? Until he says want he wants to do, there's little to discuss. From what little has been said, I think it's premature to recommend anything. Maybe he just wants to be able to say, "I've got some sweet ass, aftermarket LCAs on my whip, yo!" If that's the case, I say go for it. It's not my money.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
I totally agree I didn't recommend them at all. He asked if there were options out there. I gave him one.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Camelback Toyota sells OEM LCA's with bushings and ball joints for just over $160 so I don't understand why all you seem completely shocked that a dealership is selling one for $200...

As said above, unless you have a need for a secondary shock, stick with OEM lower control arms. If you do have a need for that level of performance, I believe Total Chaos and Icon are your only choices unless you go long travel.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
I totally agree I didn't recommend them at all. He asked if there were options out there. I gave him one.
I know what you meant. I didn't communicate that well enough.

How about it, araizu1?

What do you want to do with your truck, and why do you think aftermarket LCAs will help you accomplish that?

One of the reasons I'm asking is because I'd like to know more about LCAs myself, but I don't think I'll ever be installing them on my daily driver.