Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Vibration in gas pedal and cab with a wa wa wa sound

Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #1
cdub105 is on a distinguished road
cdub105's Tacoma Gallery
Vibration in gas pedal and cab with a wa wa wa sound

For the last few weeks I've had a revolving wa wa wa sound where I could feel a vibration in the gas pedal that matched with the noise. Took it to two different shops and finally was able to point it out to one. Did a stethoscope test on the front wheel bearings and had the right replaced and the left was replaced about 9 months ago. They mentioned my tires but they are fairly new and I don't have a shimmy in the steering wheel or an out of balance sensation. Interested in what you guys think. I'm suspecting the rear bearings but I was told they were all checked.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
I have nothing of value (much like the rest of my life) to offer except I wouldn't rule out a tire altogether. Oh and, love the thread title!

Have you rotated or repositioned the tire location to see if the symptom changes?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
cdub105's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I've rotated them and same problem. Does anyone know if the recall on the spiral cable could somehow cause this?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
cdub105's Tacoma Gallery
Ya but I've had the lift for about 4 years now and just recently had the problem come up. On some other threads they mentioned putting it in 4hi I did that and the sound went away. Now with no warranty should I take it to the dealership or a local shop?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry brother, I'm stumped. I'll keep checking this thread for updates.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub105 View Post
Ya but I've had the lift for about 4 years now and just recently had the problem come up. On some other threads they mentioned putting it in 4hi I did that and the sound went away. Now with no warranty should I take it to the dealership or a local shop?
If the sound / vibration goes away in 4WD , that points to the front diff
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
mine used to do this, then the stealership replaced the rear diff, and the transmission, and the clutch and tried to say it was my tires, so i said i suggest you prove it cause it did it with stock tires too, they swapped out to wheels from another taco on the lot and same shit, they were sure it wasn't my driveshaft that has play in the slip yoke but they are not the quickest bunch where i went, anyway non of this really fixed the issue. it's there sometimes and sometimes it is not.

when you let of the gas does it go away? look up vibration nation on this forum, you will find endless information stating the problem is supposed to be normal behavior according to toyota. the odd thing is that it is starting this late, most ppl were reporting this on newer trucks, but this has been reported for years. the one thing i notice is that in colder temps the problem was usually more pronounced and often almost went away once things warmed up well.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
SitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to all
Name: TC
SitkaSpruceMica's Tacoma Gallery
ECGS bushing needed. From my reading on this site, anyone with vibration that goes away when shifted to 4HI should upgrade to the ECGS bushing.

TC
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
cdub105's Tacoma Gallery
The CV axle bushings? And ya its still there when I let off the gas and the more I drive it the louder and more consistant it gets. Having another shop look at it tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub105 View Post
The CV axle bushings? And ya its still there when I let off the gas and the more I drive it the louder and more consistant it gets. Having another shop look at it tomorrow.
Negative. Read the thread I linked to above. You'll need to replace the driver's side needle bearing in the front differential with the bushing from East Coast Gear Supply (ECGS). That bushing and the removal tool are found by clicking here.

While you're at it, replacing the seal is a good idea too.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
Tayysere is on a distinguished road
Name: Taylor
Tayysere's Tacoma Gallery
How much time does this install take?

I have the vibration too, it goes away when everything is warmed up and it also goes away in 4hi

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/attac...%20INSTALL.pdf
Old 12-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
I have exactly the same thing going on with my truck, whirr whirr whirr noise, i can kinda feel it in the gas pedal. its at about 30 k in 2nd and 50-60km in 3rd but no other speed. Ive replace both front wheel bearings, no change, Ive rotated my tires, no change[rotating my tires got rid of my steering wheel shake at least]. 2 weeks ago my toyota guy put the front diff bushing in, still there. My cvs are good, carrier bearing has minimul play. I just dont fucking care anymore, I'm hoping now it gets so fuckin bad so I can actually diagnose it. sick of replacing shit hoping it will go away. I dont know how to tell if its a rear wheel bearing, my drums are dry, no sign of axles leaking oil, fuck im just done with it, Im gonna drive it hard til it breaks.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
cdub105's Tacoma Gallery
I hear ya kieth. I'm trying to leave town and dealing with this. Me and my buddies were talking about driving it till something breaks then we would know the real problem. Hopefully tomorrow I can figure something out on the lift. I'm hoping its the needle bearing which a bunch of people said what fixed theirs. Ill keep you guys posted if I find something.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
Check you're engine mounts and bearings.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #16
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
which bearings?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
which bearings?
Definately the muffler bearings.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
i feel kinda stupid but what is a muffler bearing?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
i feel kinda stupid but what is a muffler bearing?
He's fucking with you