Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

always lock differentiel on 2007 TRD Sport SR5

Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
maxc86 is on a distinguished road
maxc86's Tacoma Gallery
always lock differentiel on 2007 TRD Sport SR5

Hey! I am looking for someone who can help me. I have a 2007 Tacoma with SR5 TRD Sport package.

My differential seems to remain "locked" at all times. When I drive on snow / ice, the truck want to stay in a perfect line, not so good on a twisty road.

any clue?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a trd sport you don't have a locker. You're probably feeling the LSD do its thing
Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have oversized tires?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Lockers come only on the Off Road TRDs.

2005-2008 Sport TRDs have a mechanical limited slip differential. Obviously there are good reasons Toyota dropped that in 2009, and gave ALL Tacomas an electronic/ brake controlled limited slip system that can be turned off with a push of a button.

You should see a sticker on your rear differential that calls for LSD additive.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I think we need a bit more detail on what you mean by "always stays locked" since you don't have a locker, unless you added one.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
maxc86's Tacoma Gallery
ok, thank you for answer

No over sized tire.

so when i make a tight turn, I hear my rear inside (from direction of turn) wheel slipping on ground.
And when i switch to 4x4 HI, if i try to turn on dry road it's feel like the front wheel screech on pavement. On slippy road the rear wheel will push the truck straight foward

I drive Ford pickup at ma job and never feel that before on rwd, very strange to me.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
maxc86's Tacoma Gallery
No locker add, but i'm the second owner. Bought the truck at the toyota dealer, the truck was a leasing.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxc86 View Post
ok, thank you for answer

No over sized tire.

so when i make a tight turn, I hear my rear inside (from direction of turn) wheel slipping on ground.
And when i switch to 4x4 HI, if i try to turn on dry road it's feel like the front wheel screech on pavement. On slippy road the rear wheel will push the truck straight foward

I drive Ford pickup at ma job and never feel that before on rwd, very strange to me.
um... 1st things first don't use 4WD on a dry high traction surface, you can break shit... Tires always slip while turning in 4wd. It's just how our 4wd systems work on these rigs.

It is having this problem in 2wd too right? Sounds like you may have a auto locking type locker in there possibly, that is stuck locked. If you can, while in 2wd get both back tires in the air with some jack stands (Be sure to block the front tires or the truck can start to roll!!!). Leave it in park and try turning one of the tires. The other tire should go in the opposite direction. If it doesn't move then your rig is locked. If it does, then either you aren't locked or the locker is currently unlocked. Could be really hard to tell if you have a locker or not after that without just dropping the diff... Another way to check that might be easier, is to just get one rear tire in the air (again block the front tires) and put the tranny in neutral. You should be able to freely spin that tire now and the driveshaft should spin with it, while the other tire doesn't move.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't it likely his mechanical limited slip is failed to work correctly?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
or that his mechanical limited slip is functioning as intended. i remember mobbing my brothers 05 trd sport up snowboarding when i was used to my open diff chevy. holy cow what a difference. if it wasnt pushing a straight line it was completeley sideways in the snow.

i believe what you are experiencing is about the only downside to having a limited slip rear. it is otherwise a nice thing to have. your front tires scrub while turning in 4wd for the same reason that your inside rear tire does on any slick surface. shorter distance to travel but forced at the same speed to get there kind of thing. to make that up, tires must lose traction, or you have to break something. dry pavement can result in the latter, less fortunate option.

your inside rear tire will not break traction on dry, grippy surfaces because it is again doing as designed, it is allowing a limited amount of slip between inside and outside tires inside the differential. if you had a locker in the rear that was on, you would be in the the same situation as you are now with 4wd on, except the scrubbing would be between the rear tires, at the tires, instead of the diff
Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #12

oh brainfart... duh, haha... Forgot he has a mechanical LSD. (It's almost finals week here, brain isn't working right anymore... haha)

I don't have any experience with a mechanical LSD so maybe it is working like it is supposed to as Kevin suggests. Or as David suggests maybe something is wrong with it.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
Brewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrewmaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Brewmaster's Tacoma Gallery
My 08 DCLB SPORT does the same thing when making right hand turns on wet pavement, I can also feel the same thing from the front right wheel every time I make a right turn. I don't think its hurting anything but it sure is annoying.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Usauly in a mechanical lsd with a bad or worn clutch pack the vehicle operator will experience more slippage as opposed to more torque being supplied to the wheel with less traction.

I would do a drain and refill of the diff fluid checking the old oil for clutch pack material or metal shavings
Old 12-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #15

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Could be why Toyota discontinued using them for the 2009+ models... which all now have electronic/ brake limited slip without any of those issues (nice!)?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Could be why Toyota discontinued using them for the 2009+ models... which all now have electronic/ brake limited slip without any of those issues (nice!)?
Because it's cheaper for Toyota and less maintenance? Sure.

It's not an issue unless you call worn out brakes an issue.

Normal wear and tear.

OP when's the last time you changed out the rear diff fluid? LSD's should be done every 30k.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #17
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
I wish I had this problem,09 no LSD.
We don't get much snow here so would be fine with me
You do at least have e-LSD though
Old 12-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #18
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
I think it is working as intended. In a slippery situation it is just more noticeable.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #19

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
I wish I had this problem,09 no LSD.
We don't get much snow here so would be fine with me
You do have two levels of Limited Slip available:
a) TRAC (in 2WD) a light limited slip (with engine regulation)
and
b) AUTO LSD in 2WD or TRAC in 4WD-HI, both strong limited slip (no regulation) systems.

If you perform the 4-low trac mod, you can have limited slip in low range, as well.