Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #241
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4me View Post
I'm not doing anything to maintain my frame. I change the oil, plugs, filters etc. - the type of items any reasonable person would consider a wear item requiring maintenance on any vehicle. The frame does not fall into this catagory and I'll be damned if I'm adding it to my lifes' "to do" list.
North New Jersey?
Good luck with that.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #242
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not doing anything to maintain my frame. I change the oil, plugs, filters etc. - the type of items any reasonable person would consider a wear item requiring maintenance on any vehicle. The frame does not fall into this catagory and I'll be damned if I'm adding it to my lifes' "to do" list.
agreed.

i'm hopeing for a G1 style buy back program.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #243
burtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud of
burtonboards32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
agreed.

I'm with these guys...

If Toyota cannot design and build a vehicle to last in elements that it is being sold in, they should be forced to conduct buy backs and repair programs like the Gen 1 program. There are many other manufacturers' vehicles that have zero issues in the same conditions and treated much worse than our vehicles that do not have the signs of rust and deterioration, why can't Toyota get it right?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #244
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'd rather not hope for the best after seeing the possible results of not doing anything. Splattering Fluid Film only takes a few minutes and a few dollars, and it protects more than the frame.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #245
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonboards32 View Post
I'm with these guys...

If Toyota cannot design and build a vehicle to last in elements that it is being sold in, they should be forced to conduct buy backs and repair programs like the Gen 1 program. There are many other manufacturers' vehicles that have zero issues in the same conditions and treated much worse than our vehicles that do not have the signs of rust and deterioration, why can't Toyota get it right?
I would agree with that in principle since other manufacturers do not seem to have rust problems of this scale. If Ford, Nissan, XY manufacturer can produce vehicles that do not have these problems while being driven in the same conditions, why should I expect any less from a Toyota, especially if I pay premium price for one.

That being said, that does not help me if my own truck starts rusting out from underneath. Relying on Toyota to step up once again and offer a buy back/frame replacement does not seem like the best plan of action unfortunately. Taking care of the frame or sadly getting rid of the truck seems like a better plan in my eyes.

If frame rust issue proves to be the case with second gens as it was with 1st gens and Tundra's, it will be enough of a reason for me not to buy another Toyota next time around. You would think they would have learned that from the frame fiasco last time around...

Now I should have another look underneath my own truck and see in what shape the frame is in...

I hope this post did not come across the wrong way. I hope we hear soon from OP with a good update.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #246
burtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
I would agree with that in principle since other manufacturers do not seem to have rust problems of this scale. If Ford, Nissan, XY manufacturer can produce vehicles that do not have these problems while being driven in the same conditions, why should I expect any less from a Toyota, especially if I pay premium price for one.

That being said, that does not help me if my own truck starts rusting out from underneath. Relying on Toyota to step up once again and offer a buy back/frame replacement does not seem like the best plan of action unfortunately. Taking care of the frame or sadly getting rid of the truck seems like a better plan in my eyes.

If frame rust issue proves to be the case with second gens as it was with 1st gens and Tundra's, it will be enough of a reason for me not to buy another Toyota next time around. You would think they would have learned that from the frame fiasco last time around...

Now I should have another look underneath my own truck and see in what shape the frame is in...

I hope this post did not come across the wrong way. I hope we hear soon from OP with a good update.
No, you did not come across in a bad way. I completely understand what you are saying, I just respectfully disagree with anyone that thinks that this is an acceptable practice, having to break out the wire brush once a year and clean the frame/undercarriage and paint/seal with rust inhibitors.

With this rust issue in mind, I am looking to sell/trade my 2006 Tacoma as we speak. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, aside from the rusty undercarriage, but I do not feel comfortable keeping it any longer fearing that I will be "stuck" with a 10 year old truck with less than 100k miles that can no longer be drive and worth nothing more than scrap value. Needless to say, Toyota is NOT an option that I am considering, unfortunately.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #247

Quote:
... I just respectfully disagree with anyone that thinks that this is an acceptable practice, having to break out the wire brush once a year and clean the frame/undercarriage and paint/seal with rust inhibitors.
That really isn't necessary. It takes less than an hour to spray Fluid Film once a year, with no wire brush, masking, or sealing involved. I understand that you don't want to do that, but it's not a laborious task.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #248
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, you did not come across in a bad way. I completely understand what you are saying, I just respectfully disagree with anyone that thinks that this is an acceptable practice, having to break out the wire brush once a year and clean the frame/undercarriage and paint/seal with rust inhibitors.

With this rust issue in mind, I am looking to sell/trade my 2006 Tacoma as we speak. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, aside from the rusty undercarriage, but I do not feel comfortable keeping it any longer fearing that I will be "stuck" with a 10 year old truck with less than 100k miles that can no longer be drive and worth nothing more than scrap value. Needless to say, Toyota is NOT an option that I am considering, unfortunately.
That is understandable, can't blame you for that if it is already in bad shape.

Mine did not look too bad last time I checked a few months ago, but the paint peels off in the spots where I place the jack to lift the truck up when changing a tire etc. I fear it will go downhill from there quick. This is its 7th Alberta winter and 4th for sure without being parked in a garage. (I'm the second owner...) I planned to keep if for another 10 years, so hopefully that will be the case still...
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
That really isn't necessary. It takes less than an hour to spray Fluid Film once a year, with no wire brush, masking, or sealing involved. I understand that you don't want to do that, but it's not a laborious task.
Right, it isn't a laborious task for me at 28, but what about the 70 year old man that bought a truck that should have lasted the rest of his life? Should he, at 75, have to go out in his driveway and spray down the frame/undercarriage of his 5 year old truck or pay someone to do it? Believe me, I have no problem with doing scheduled maintenance to my vehicles. I will gladly wrench on my worn truck to replace u-joints, bearings, bushings, etc to keep it running properly and safely, but to say that it is necessary to do any more than wash and keep clean the underside of your truck is like saying that you should have to repaint your truck every couple of years so the body does not rot out.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #250

Quote:
Right, it isn't a laborious task for me at 28, but what about the 70 year old man that bought a truck that should have lasted the rest of his life? Should he, at 75, have to go out in his driveway and spray down the frame/undercarriage of his 5 year old truck or pay someone to do it? Believe me, I have no problem with doing scheduled maintenance to my vehicles. I will gladly wrench on my worn truck to replace u-joints, bearings, bushings, etc to keep it running properly and safely, but to say that it is necessary to do any more than wash and keep clean the underside of your truck is like saying that you should have to repaint your truck every couple of years so the body does not rot out.
You're missing my point. Please note that I've supported the OP's efforts throughout this thread.

I agree that there shouldn't be a rust issue, but the reality is that there very well may be one. If you're able to prevent it with minimal effort, it seems wise to do so. You can still complain to Toyota without becoming a case study in corrosion, or getting rid of a truck every few years. It's your choice.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #251
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
I had the frame replaced on my 2001.
After the job was done, I took it to the car wash for a complete wash, then drove directly to the Ziebart shop and had them Ziebart the truck.
That was Jan. 2010 and it is holding up well. Still looks sealed and no rust.
I always check when getting the oil changed.
I've had 6 vehicles Ziebarted and they aways looked rust-free when traded/sold.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #252
Toy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Tom
Toy4me's Tacoma Gallery
Doording mentioned preventing frame failure. There is a difference between preventing and prolonging. In my mind "preventing" means it's not going to happen at all over what most people would expect the lifetime of the vehicle to be. That sounds great if it works (not trying to pick on DD, he just stated something that works in my scenerio), but I don't wheel or drive on the beach and I'd like my truck to last a long time. My concern in maintaining my frame would be this, that I'd merely prolong my frames eventual demise past the point of eligibility for a buyback/replacement program. Then I'd really be kicking myself.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #253
rickc5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Rick
rickc5's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, saw this thread, read most of it and just HAD to go crawl under our newly purchased '06 DC for a look-see. Compared to the OP's photo, our frame & suspension components look almost new--just a few small rock chips--after 83K miles. Most everything visible is still covered in the original black paint, which is slightly oxidized.

Just so ya know, the truck has spent its entire life out here in the dry climate of western Colorado. We do get some snow in the winter, and the state uses magnesium chloride on the roads when icy/slippery, but no salt.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #254

Quote:
Doording mentioned preventing frame failure. There is a difference between preventing and prolonging. In my mind "preventing" means it's not going to happen at all over what most people would expect the lifetime of the vehicle to be. That sounds great if it works (not trying to pick on DD, he just stated something that works in my scenerio), but I don't wheel or drive on the beach and I'd like my truck to last a long time. My concern in maintaining my frame would be this, that I'd merely prolong my frames eventual demise past the point of eligibility for a buyback/replacement program. Then I'd really be kicking myself.
That's a fair point, but again, the downside of doing nothing and hoping Toyota takes care of whatever comes of that inaction seems foolish if you're really concerned about frame rust. Look at what the OP has had to deal with so far. He doesn't have a resolution, and Toyota still might tell him to pound sand. That's what can come from inaction.

Read up on Fluid Film and some of the other rust inhibiting treatments. In the case of FF, it's good enough for U.S. military use in saltwater environments. That's good enough for me to give it a try.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc5 View Post
Ok, saw this thread, read most of it and just HAD to go crawl under our newly purchased '06 DC for a look-see. Compared to the OP's photo, our frame & suspension components look almost new--just a few small rock chips--after 83K miles. Most everything visible is still covered in the original black paint, which is slightly oxidized.

Just so ya know, the truck has spent its entire life out here in the dry climate of western Colorado. We do get some snow in the winter, and the state uses magnesium chloride on the roads when icy/slippery, but no salt.
Glad it's ok. BTW, magnesium chloride is a salt, and it will cause rust.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #256
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomeontherange's Tacoma Gallery
OP here. no news to report. truck still on dealer lot.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #257
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomeontherange View Post
OP here. no news to report. truck still on dealer lot.
Sorry to hear they are still dragging their feet. I would be beyond irritated at the situation and start expanding my exposure since Toyota does not feel the need to act appropriately to find a resolution.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #258
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomeontherange's Tacoma Gallery
OP UPDATE

Phone call from dealership today. Our letter has initiated some action. I would like to have it in writing before I say anything further here. hopefully I can post something next week.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #259
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
*fingers crossed and a thumbs up sent your way*
Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #260
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've covered my frame (and especially the trouble areas noted) with Fluid Film a couple of times already this season. I would view this as prolonging, not preventing, as it's the factory paint/coating that is the weak spot.

If I recall correctly on the 1st Gen recall if the frame passed the test were coated and the frame was then warrantied for 15 years after the initial sale or something like that.

I would think that 15 years is a good run for a truck and I would assume any coating they give you would give you another 5-7 years.

Products Discussed in this Thread