Notices

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #341
GrandMasterChooch is on a distinguished road

GrandMasterChooch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
My truck shuddered and ran to the bathroom when he looked at those pics.
Planned obsolescence.
$$$>reliable product
Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #342
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
b0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shed

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterChooch View Post
Planned obsolescence.
$$$>reliable product
Yep, and that pisses me off. I rather pay more for something that's of higher quality and will last longer than buy something cheaper that's practically disposable...
Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #343
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomeontherange's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Might as well get the trd shifter. Much better than stock.
that was the plan in December. now the available part was the standard set up. installed today and quite a difference from what it was before. the original owner must have had a heavy hand or something. feels great now. I would like the short throw of the TRD shifter but for half the price I can live with the original.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #344
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Part of the serp belt just sheared off and wrapped around the radiator fan pulley.

Dealer did the work in Oct 2012 but I provided them with an OEM belt from Amazon so the dealer is not giving me credit under a 1 year warranty on the labor.

Dealer says the engine is hoisted wholesale during the frame swap and that this situation cannot be caused by the frame swap process.

We're talking about a belt that was in use for approx 2 months until the frame was declared faulty.

Amazon will refund what we paid for the belt.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #345
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
congrads OP. Really glad to see TM step up on this. Wonder how long until we see a TSB/Recall for this.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #346
sambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
sambojee's Tacoma Gallery
You can take ur truck into Toyota and they will get u a new frame or a new truck. If its a 99 and below tacoma they will give u 110% of what it kelly blue books for and all the rest they will replace the fames. Im taking my 99 tacoma in and thats what they tell me.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #347
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambojee View Post
You can take ur truck into Toyota and they will get u a new frame or a new truck. If its a 99 and below tacoma they will give u 110% of what it kelly blue books for and all the rest they will replace the fames. Im taking my 99 tacoma in and thats what they tell me.
OP already got his frame replaced on his 2nd gen. Will hopefully make it easier for the rest of us in case 2nd gen frames are destined to go the same way 1st gens do. Hope not.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #348
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomeontherange View Post
The dealer and the corp worked it out, splitting the expense of the parts and the job.

We paid for lower control arms.

It took about 4 days in the shop once the frame and parts were on site.

We took it home tonight and will give it a run out in the coming days.

I'll try to get underneath it for some photos tomorrow.
Congrats! that rust looked so bad more than my 1968 Mustang but good deal what Toyota and dealer step up to get this replace.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #349
blackbrit will become famous soon enough
blackbrit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambojee View Post
FYI my letter from Toyota Corporate regarding my '98 was 150% the high KBB value. That's what I got last spring for the '98 when the frame rusted through. The rust was actually less advanced than it is on my 2005 that recently had its frame break at the motor mount on the driver's side.

I just wanted to make sure you have the correct info on the buyback. Hope this helps, and that you have a smooth transaction.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #350
haider320 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Detective
haider320's Tacoma Gallery
So is this just a 2009 and below problem?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #351
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by haider320 View Post
So is this just a 2009 and below problem?
Toyota has/had a buyback program for rusted frames on tacomas 95.5-2000. They had a frame replacement deal for rusted frames 2001-2004. There is no frame program (yet) for any 2005+ tacomas. Based on OPs experience, and I am guessing others to come, that may change.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #352
haider320 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Detective
haider320's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Toyota has/had a buyback program for rusted frames on tacomas 95.5-2000. They had a frame replacement deal for rusted frames 2001-2004. There is no frame program (yet) for any 2005+ tacomas. Based on OPs experience, and I am guessing others to come, that may change.
I'm not going to read through 18 pages; but have any 11,12, & 13 owners found any rust? I guess I'm just trying to see if Toyota has resolved the problem or if it's still happening.

One reason I traded in my 2011 5.0 Mustang; Ford just turns its head and looks the other way, when they know there are documented problems. It would make me sick to see Toyota doing the same thing. It's good to see Toyota has stepped up to the plate to help the guys who were having problems. I just hope they have resolved the issues with the frames.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #353
lpfm1990 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
lpfm1990's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lpfm1990
on my 2012, very very very minimal rust on it, mostly at junction points, for the amount of salt i drove threw this winter, im happy, its nothing a 1/4 can of spray paint wont touch up and look good as new!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #354
Blue Barchetta
FuzzyRuttin is on a distinguished road

Name: Russ
FuzzyRuttin's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, I've got an '05 TRD, live in New York, and have quite a bit of frame rust. The '05 was what I got (used) after my '97 frame rail rust recall. Again?? I've been wanting to grease the hell out of the underside but haven't gotten to it yet. Someone mentioned Fluid Film on here... what do you recommend?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #355
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by haider320 View Post
I'm not going to read through 18 pages; but have any 11,12, & 13 owners found any rust? I guess I'm just trying to see if Toyota has resolved the problem or if it's still happening.

One reason I traded in my 2011 5.0 Mustang; Ford just turns its head and looks the other way, when they know there are documented problems. It would make me sick to see Toyota doing the same thing. It's good to see Toyota has stepped up to the plate to help the guys who were having problems. I just hope they have resolved the issues with the frames.
its going to take a while to rear its ugly head, especially if the fully boxed sections are rusting from the inside out like the first gens did and what appears to have happened with OPs frame. I was under my 2010 last weekend to change the oil, and the frame looked pretty good. We get some snow in Northern VA and they heavily salt the roads here, but not compared to the North East.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #356
levbec is on a distinguished road
levbec's Tacoma Gallery
After reading this thread, I decided to re-check my frame, and.. uh oh, guess I'm in the club. The rust appears to be in the exact same spot as the OP's much larger hole. It's a 2005 Taco manufacturing date of 12/04.

When I bought the truck 1.5 years ago I noticed some average surface rust, nothing to write home about. It was originally a NJ vehicle so I was hyper aware of any major rust issues at the time. The original owner was more than anal about upkeep, etc. That was the only reason I even considered the truck.

It has now gone through two Colorado winters (mag chloride), nothing out of the norm. It appears that a few select areas have deteriorated quite rapidly (see second pic). While the other frame areas are in good condition.

What should I do? I literally took these pics this morning. Take it in to a dealer? Fix and sell? At this point I'm not really even mad, just disappointed in Toyota. My 98 Taco had none of these isolated rust issues whatsoever. The frame appears fixable at this point, but what happens in a couple years when the rest of the frame goes to shit and it's a liability.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #357
Look away, I'm hideous!

I guess the best thing to do would be take it to Toyota and get it documented. Then open a case with corporate and see what they can do for you.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #358
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by levbec View Post
After reading this thread, I decided to re-check my frame, and.. uh oh, guess I'm in the club. The rust appears to be in the exact same spot as the OP's much larger hole. It's a 2005 Taco manufacturing date of 12/04.

When I bought the truck 1.5 years ago I noticed some average surface rust, nothing to write home about. It was originally a NJ vehicle so I was hyper aware of any major rust issues at the time. The original owner was more than anal about upkeep, etc. That was the only reason I even considered the truck.

It has now gone through two Colorado winters (mag chloride), nothing out of the norm. It appears that a few select areas have deteriorated quite rapidly (see second pic). While the other frame areas are in good condition.

What should I do? I literally took these pics this morning. Take it in to a dealer? Fix and sell? At this point I'm not really even mad, just disappointed in Toyota. My 98 Taco had none of these isolated rust issues whatsoever. The frame appears fixable at this point, but what happens in a couple years when the rest of the frame goes to shit and it's a liability.

Yep get to dealer ASAP open the case. Its that spot where pieces of frame are sandwiched and there is no way to protect frame.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #359
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by levbec View Post

Welcome to TW & sorry for the rust.

You were correct to check it at first. I'm actually amazed you didn't see any. I'm in NJ and they salt the roads like no other. I was sanding and painting my frame after 1 winter.

Good luck in your soon to be long drawn out battle. It's the first guys who have to sacrifice the most.

You could always just go trade it in
Old 04-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #360
this ain't no picnic

I'll try to write up some notes on steps that can be taken.

Products Discussed in this Thread