Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #341
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by levbec View Post
After reading this thread, I decided to re-check my frame, and.. uh oh, guess I'm in the club. The rust appears to be in the exact same spot as the OP's much larger hole. It's a 2005 Taco manufacturing date of 12/04.

When I bought the truck 1.5 years ago I noticed some average surface rust, nothing to write home about. It was originally a NJ vehicle so I was hyper aware of any major rust issues at the time. The original owner was more than anal about upkeep, etc. That was the only reason I even considered the truck.

It has now gone through two Colorado winters (mag chloride), nothing out of the norm. It appears that a few select areas have deteriorated quite rapidly (see second pic). While the other frame areas are in good condition.

What should I do? I literally took these pics this morning. Take it in to a dealer? Fix and sell? At this point I'm not really even mad, just disappointed in Toyota. My 98 Taco had none of these isolated rust issues whatsoever. The frame appears fixable at this point, but what happens in a couple years when the rest of the frame goes to shit and it's a liability.

Welcome to TW & sorry for the rust.

You were correct to check it at first. I'm actually amazed you didn't see any. I'm in NJ and they salt the roads like no other. I was sanding and painting my frame after 1 winter.

Good luck in your soon to be long drawn out battle. It's the first guys who have to sacrifice the most.

You could always just go trade it in
Old 04-26-2013, 04:41 AM   #342
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomeontherange's Tacoma Gallery
I'll try to write up some notes on steps that can be taken.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #343
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomeontherange View Post
Sounds like a great idea
Hopefully it will help expedite others battles but it was unfortunate that yours had to take so long. I guess the pioneers have to lead the way, slow and steady.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #344
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how manufacturers got so fascinated with boxed frames, both my old trucks didn't have boxed frames and not only were they tough as nails but no rust to speak of except a little surface rust and they both lived in high salt areas all their lives.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #345
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Weight, fuel economy and cost is why they went to box frames. They should at least gives us the option to get the frame galvanized. I would pay an extra grand for that and then our trucks would last 50 years at least.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #346
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magog45 View Post
Not sure how manufacturers got so fascinated with boxed frames, both my old trucks didn't have boxed frames and not only were they tough as nails but no rust to speak of except a little surface rust and they both lived in high salt areas all their lives.
This is not only boxed frame problem. Frames are no longer dipped in paint. So inside of the frame gets crappy paint job. As if that was not bad enough, boxed frame is made out of layers of metal allowing moisture to be trapped and not allowing any protection film to get there.
As if that was not enough, somebody put holes in the frame next to wheels. So when truck rolls through snow/slush/water, front wheels splash it into the frame. I covered mine with aluminum tape.
Op frame failure and the other guy failure is right across that vent hole. So that's probably how they rusted.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #347
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Weight, fuel economy and cost is why they went to box frames. They should at least gives us the option to get the frame galvanized. I would pay an extra grand for that and then our trucks would last 50 years at least.
And that's why toyota wants those frames to fail. They don't want see 2005 Tacoma still driving in 2105
Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #348
Marcoc has a spectacular aura aboutMarcoc has a spectacular aura about

Marcoc's Tacoma Gallery
When i was shopping for a Tacoma i saw two "05" Tacomas at Toyota dealers that were "certified" and had very rusty frames. found my 2010 with a spotless undercarriage but it came from the south, these "05" were Northeast trucks. needless to say i am anal about washing my truck after any wet weather including washing undercarriage.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #349
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
And that's why toyota wants those frames to fail. They don't want see 2005 Tacoma still driving in 2105
Sadly you are probably right. I am looking into a local hot dip galvanizing company here. Their tank may be large enough to do a toyota frame. Not the taco but the 80s and 90s pre-taco pickups.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #350
levbec is on a distinguished road
levbec's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomeontherange View Post
That would definitely be appreciated. I'm going to take the rig into the dealership in a couple weeks to get inspected. I'm not holding my breath for anything, still think it would be good to get the ball rolling on some action though. Feel free to PM me/post here with any more info on the process you went through.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #351
burtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud of
burtonboards32's Tacoma Gallery
Just traded my rust bucket in for a new loaded F350 diesel. Regardless of possible buy backs in the future, I couldn't deal with it any more.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #352
Moshman is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
Moshman's Tacoma Gallery
After reading most of this thread I went out and looked under my 2013. It looks like theres a plastic cap in the frame where OP's rust is. Heres a few pictures-
Old 04-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #353
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Sadly you are probably right. I am looking into a local hot dip galvanizing company here. Their tank may be large enough to do a toyota frame. Not the taco but the 80s and 90s pre-taco pickups.
any trailer boat manufacturers in your area? I would expect so. they usually have huge tanks. I know Load Rite does and they are local to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshman View Post
After reading most of this thread I went out and looked under my 2013. It looks like theres a plastic cap in the frame where OP's rust is. Heres a few pictures-
good find.

fucking Toyota and their 1/2 assed fixes...

this is of course proof of the problem if they change their production process and fabricate a new part to retrofit into older frame designs. maybe in 10 years they won't have any holes
Old 04-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #354

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is there a plastic cap on the frame from the wheel side? That's where water, snow, and ice get thrown in from. If there is that means my duct tape fix is way cheaper.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #355

Moshman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is there a plastic cap on the frame from the wheel side? That's where water, snow, and ice get thrown in from. If there is that means my duct tape fix is way cheaper.
Yep, there is. I didnt realize there was one on the outside too, straight across from the inner one. It feels kinda flimsy, and loose. I dont think its gonna stop water from getting in. Maybe I'll put some duct tape over it, that might help. lol
Old 04-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #356

Moshman's Tacoma Gallery
good find.

this is of course proof of the problem if they change their production process and fabricate a new part to retrofit into older frame designs. maybe in 10 years they won't have any holes [/QUOTE]
I agree with you, they must have had enough complaints about it so this is how they fixed it I guess.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #357

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep, there is. I didnt realize there was one on the outside too, straight across from the inner one. It feels kinda flimsy, and loose. I dont think its gonna stop water from getting in. Maybe I'll put some duct tape over it, that might help. lol
Ha ha so this is a proof that Toyota reads this forum...
Here is what I posted 3 years ago, about these holes being culprit of accelerated frame rust. You can see my tape solution
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ect-frame.html

I simply covered them with aluminum tape used on furnaces (so its heat resistant and oil resistant)

Hey Toyota if you used my Idea, can I at least get new frame.. .. I will bring tape
Old 05-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #358

Moshman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ha ha so this is a proof that Toyota reads this forum...
Here is what I posted 3 years ago, about these holes being culprit of accelerated frame rust. You can see my tape solution
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ect-frame.html

I simply covered them with aluminum tape used on furnaces (so its heat resistant and oil resistant)

Hey Toyota if you used my Idea, can I at least get new frame.. .. I will bring tape
Looks like the tape worked pretty good! Sad that we would have to do something like that on a $30,000 truck but like you said, they probably read your thread so now we got fancy plastic caps! lol Despite the rust issues and some things that they could improve,I do love Toyota.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #359
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
good find.

this is of course proof of the problem if they change their production process and fabricate a new part to retrofit into older frame designs. maybe in 10 years they won't have any holes
I agree with you, they must have had enough complaints about it so this is how they fixed it I guess.
.....^^^........thats my post.... these interwebz is
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #360
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Just checked this issue on mine the other day. No problems at this point, but I do live in the south...that plastic cap is hilarious. FWIW my 09 does not have them.

Products Discussed in this Thread