Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #21
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Holy cow. I don't believe Toyota will rape you. They will, should, hopefully do something. Best of luck.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #22
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
I need to check mine.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #23
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Damn!

Good luck OP.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck, hopefully toyota will do the right thing. That much rust is unacceptable for a truck of that age...
Old 12-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Impressive.

I'm anal about frame maintenance, and living in the southeast helps. My truck should last until Jesus comes back. That said, my sympathies, hope ToMoCo makes it right.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #26
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
7 year corrosion warranty should help here , no ?

That sucks OP
Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #27
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
If it is an 05 it was likely sold in 04 so it is past the 7 year warranty.

I am guessing you will be told to fly a kite, unfortunately.

Toyota is not what it used to be. They test frames for this and sell them knowing this based on the coating or lack there of that they use.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:35 AM   #28
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
After seeing this, I did what I had been putting off for a few weeks. Applied three cans of COR Ban

http://www.zipchem.com/products/prod...l.aspx?id=NjY=

While not open like most of the frame, there are a lot of openings and ways to spray the internal box structure. I also fogged the internal area from the open end of the box at the rear.

One place I was surprised had water coming flowing out while applying the Cor Ban was well aft of the box area where a frame crossmember ties into the frame rail. There is also a frame doubler that could easily corrode also between the main frame rail and doubler.

PK
Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #29
Rsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Rsoxfan1's Tacoma Gallery
I think Toyota will take care of you
Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #30
Syncros is on a distinguished road
Syncros's Tacoma Gallery
My 82 4wd Pickup looks that, but its seen 30 years of salty winters, the frame was full of mud/salt/water when I cut it apart to scrap it.

I'm guessing yours was driven on the beach a lot and never washed.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #31
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomeontherange's Tacoma Gallery
People out sick today so no news yet.

Am trying to line up a lawyer so that we are fully informed about our rights and options.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #32
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomeontherange View Post
People out sick today so no news yet.

Am trying to line up a lawyer so that we are fully informed about our rights and options.

Toyota is #10 on the global fortune 500 list and you cannot find answers due to someone being sick, pretty sad.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #33
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Yep Toyota knows its a problem again. There are trucks even with rot bigger then what OP has. Its insane that they did not protect frame after what they went with 1gens. New Frames I guess
Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #34
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be suprised if Toyota steps up...
Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #35
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomeontherange's Tacoma Gallery
It's the local person who's out sick right now, so I'm not pointing the finger at corporate; just letting thread followers know that there won't be any news today.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #36
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
This thread makes me nervous. I have some surface rust on my frame. I lightly sanded and hit it with rustoleum rattle can, but that wont hold up in the salt and winters we get. I should get an estimate from Zeibart to see what they would charge. I know there is a local Krown dealer now too, that would be a yearly deal though. hrm
Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #37
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Yep Toyota knows its a problem again. There are trucks even with rot bigger then what OP has. Its insane that they did not protect frame after what they went with 1gens. New Frames I guess
Don't forget that the buyback didn't start until only a few years ago (I honestly don't recall the specific year), so even if Toyota did implement a solution on the later 2nd gens, those wouldn't have shown up until at least 1-2 years after the recall.

I do, too, hope that Toyota steps up on the 2nd gen trucks (especially being an owner in the Northeast) in terms of extended warranty similar to the 95-04 models, or replacement/buyback when the time comes.

Until them, I'll keep coating and hoping for the best.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #38
roadking1 is on a distinguished road
roadking1's Tacoma Gallery
I am interested in what Toyota says..
Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #40
speeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Andres
speeddemon2588's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post
This thread makes me nervous. I have some surface rust on my frame. I lightly sanded and hit it with rustoleum rattle can, but that wont hold up in the salt and winters we get. I should get an estimate from Zeibart to see what they would charge. I know there is a local Krown dealer now too, that would be a yearly deal though. hrm
I paid about 280 for the full package. Greatest thing I ever did.

Products Discussed in this Thread