LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #381
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Is there a plastic cap on the frame from the wheel side? That's where water, snow, and ice get thrown in from. If there is that means my duct tape fix is way cheaper.
duct tape won't keep the water out. Use metal foil tape.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #382
Moshman is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
Moshman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
.....^^^........thats my post.... these interwebz is
Sorry, I somehow stole you post. Not sure how I did that.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #383
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshman View Post
Sorry, I somehow stole you post. Not sure how I did that.
twas a rip in the fabric of the interwebz
Old 05-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #384
AlanLoshbaugh is on a distinguished road
Name: Alan
AlanLoshbaugh's Tacoma Gallery
That aluminum tape is good for fixing rips in the interwebz too.

(that's a pretty cool trick there)
Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #385
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
I actually used aluminum furnace tape.
I think other should see if they can get those plastic plugs from dealership.
Amazing enough my frame in those spots is solid.despite of 7 New England winters.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #386
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomeontherange's Tacoma Gallery
photos of new frame

Per the most recent posts here I just looked in my front wheel well. There is some type of flexi-plastic guard that's in there but a number of other open holes are visible. There are 2 photos from there.

The other shots are from when it was just up on the rack for an oil change. Unfortunately I was rushed.

I note with particular concern that the tow hitch was not deemed replacement-worthy.
Attached Thumbnails
2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-fr12.jpg   2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-fr11.jpg   2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-fr10.jpg   2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-fr9.jpg   2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-fr8.jpg  

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-fr7.jpg   2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-fr6.jpg   2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-fr5.jpg   2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-fr4.jpg   2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-fr3.jpg  

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-fr2.jpg   2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-fr1.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #387
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Mythbusters built a freaking sailboat out of it.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #388
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
any trailer boat manufacturers in your area? I would expect so. they usually have huge tanks. I know Load Rite does and they are local to me.

good find.

fucking Toyota and their 1/2 assed fixes...

this is of course proof of the problem if they change their production process and fabricate a new part to retrofit into older frame designs. maybe in 10 years they won't have any holes

Yep my 05 showing signs of the dreaded cancer in the same spot. Gonna try and do something aboot it tis summer.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #389
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Round II View Post
Yep my 05 showing signs of the dreaded cancer in the same spot. Gonna try and do something aboot it tis summer.

That's not signs of it, that's full blown cut-and-replace time. Look at the separation between the layers. I doubt there's much of anything solid in that area.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #390
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Mythbusters built a freaking sailboat out of it.
I saw that episode... wasn't just one layer...
Old 05-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #391
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
That's not signs of it, that's full blown cut-and-replace time. Look at the separation between the layers. I doubt there's much of anything solid in that area.
Its actually a lot more solid than what the pic shows even though it is separating. As for "cut and replace time" thats the plan.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #392
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Its actually a lot more solid than what the pic shows even though it is separating. As for "cut and replace time" thats the plan.
Good luck. Your repair project might make a great DIY thread.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #393
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder when Toyota is just going to give up and start pouring money into frame design and manufacture like water out of a jug.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #394
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

< awesome
Old 05-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Wonder when Toyota is just going to give up and start pouring money into frame design and manufacture like water out of a jug.
I have no doubt that Toyota dumped a stupid amount of money into the unattended acceleration redesign (and PR) campaign, so there's always hope. I'm sure it all comes down to numbers.

http://youtu.be/l5EY8oXamoM

Maybe not as cynical as that, but if they can spend less money placating a few people instead of dealing with a recall or redesign, it may take a long time to see a change. This is one area where the lack of competition hurts us.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #396
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Round II

DoorDingGood luck. Your repair project might make a great DIY thread.

Take it to toyota so it is documented. Last thing I would do is mod the frame and then have toyota deny any claim in the future.

The OP got his frame replaced so why do you believe yours is not eligible?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #397
Member #12005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj973gm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Round II

DoorDingGood luck. Your repair project might make a great DIY thread.

Take it to toyota so it is documented. Last thing I would do is mod the frame and then have toyota deny any claim in the future.

I never said I did but just like others being denied for vibe issues because they either lifted or are running larger tires what do you think Toyota is going to say when they see I have cut a bunch of stuff off my frame? Plus My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj973gm View Post

Not a bad idea. All they can say is no.

When the OP posts his unabridged account of the claims process, I'll bet his truck being bought used from a Toyota dealer not long before the problem was discovered will be an important point. Round II's 2005 probably won't be viewed in the same light, even without any frame alterations.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #399
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly View Post
The troubling part is that's in the front of the frame where it's boxed, so getting in there to do any sort of rust proofing is immensely difficult.

I coated my frame liberally in Fluid Film a few weekends ago, but while I got the outside of the rails, I know I didn't get inside in that area. Looks like I know what I'm doing tomorrow after my alignment.

This isn't promising though.
How U going to get inside the box ?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
How U going to get inside the box ?
There are holes scattered about the boxed section, and the transition between open and boxed sections is completely open.

I used an undercoating gun to apply Fluid Film. It came with long extension tips, so I was able to either snake the tip/hose into a tight area (frame), or place the tip against a hole and fog the confined space (rockers). An aerosol can of FF may not be able to fog as well as an undercoating gun, but it can reach a lot of areas with the tip straw. FF is supposed to creep into more inaccessible areas, too.