Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #401
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
I know I am but every time I walk by my boat with that bare unrusted galvanized steel trailer I cant help but think that is the solution. Toyota should at least make it an option. I would gladly pay and extra grand for a galvanized frame.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #402
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery

1st gen in progress...
Old 05-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #403
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
There are holes scattered about the boxed section, and the transition between open and boxed sections is completely open.

I used an undercoating gun to apply Fluid Film. It came with long extension tips, so I was able to either snake the tip/hose into a tight area (frame), or place the tip against a hole and fog the confined space (rockers). An aerosol can of FF may not be able to fog as well as an undercoating gun, but it can reach a lot of areas with the tip straw. FF is supposed to creep into more inaccessible areas, too.
Wow ! Didn't expect an answer this fast this time of night - Thanks. Did you try to clean out the box some how B 4 spraying ? I have a cheap Wagner spray gun that will mist - I guess I could just put the tip up to the holes and spray - better then doing nothing. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #404
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
I know I am but every time I walk by my boat with that bare unrusted galvanized steel trailer I cant help but think that is the solution. Toyota should at least make it an option. I would gladly pay and extra grand for a galvanized frame.
I'd have to respectfully disagree that galvanizing is the solution. I have an '84 American Skier sitting on the original trailer. While the trailer is still galvanized, it does take work to keep it up. Every 8-10 years, my old man (who owned the boat first) would strip the trailer down and take it in to get re-galvanized. The boat and trailer has been in brackish water its whole life, and was/has been thoroughly rinsed after every dip in/out of the water. While it does offer some benefits, it isn't maintenance free! Along with the 8-10 yr trip to get it all cleaned up and redone, we would also have to sand down areas that would show signs of rusting and spray cold galvanize on those spots throughout the trailers lifespan.

Edit: To those of you who us FF on the frame, I do have a question. We use FF on the helicopters at work due to its awesome nature at slowing down corrosion. But, we dont take our helos through mud/dirt! My question is, when applying FF to an area that is prone to dirt/mud, wouldn't the FF attract or hold onto that dirt/mud, and in return, that dirt/mud hold onto water/moisture and begin the corrosion process? Im more curious if that has been thought of before, or if it is of any real concern. I've used WD40 for my undercarriage, but those same points that i asked were asked to me, and i had no solid answer for yes or no...
Old 05-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #405
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
Wow ! Didn't expect an answer this fast this time of night - Thanks. Did you try to clean out the box some how B 4 spraying ? I have a cheap Wagner spray gun that will mist - I guess I could just put the tip up to the holes and spray - better then doing nothing. Thanks for the reply.
With only a thousand or so miles on the truck, I didn't have to clean anything before application.

People have used a Wagner sprayer for FF application, but I don't have any experience with it. You may want to search to see if any settings or tips work better than others. Here's a start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwardsDyl View Post
[...]

Edit: To those of you who us FF on the frame, I do have a question. We use FF on the helicopters at work due to its awesome nature at slowing down corrosion. But, we dont take our helos through mud/dirt! My question is, when applying FF to an area that is prone to dirt/mud, wouldn't the FF attract or hold onto that dirt/mud, and in return, that dirt/mud hold onto water/moisture and begin the corrosion process? Im more curious if that has been thought of before, or if it is of any real concern. I've used WD40 for my undercarriage, but those same points that i asked were asked to me, and i had no solid answer for yes or no...
I can speak about mud, but I drove though some very fine Utah dust and sand a few weeks after applying FF, and the underside of my truck looked a little like a cinnamon powdered donut. Most of the dust washed off with a garden hose and a few passes through an automatic wash with an undercarriage spray. The FF appeared to stay put after the dust was gone. The FF sites I've read acknowledge that dust will stick, but say not to worry about it.

Does Fluid Film® attract dirt?
Because Fluid Film® remains wet, it will get an initial dusting upon application, but because it contains no solvents and will not become sticky, it will not gum up or create a build up of dirt.

I'll go over it again with FF this spring to touch it up. I bought a gallon can with the undercoating gun, so it's easy to do. I'm curious to see how much rust I can find, and if the undercarriage wash did more harm than good. The difference between the areas covered by skid plates and not may be interesting.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #406
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the heads up, wasn't sure how it worked on our trucks. Never heard of the stuff until i got into aviation. We use it religiously at work, especially in areas that are prone to moisture. We usually rise off our flight controls, let dry, then reapply FF. Its supposed to be applied after every post flight inspection, 7 day inspection and 30 day inspection, as well as on a needed basis in between those other inspections... but in doing so, we are using the sh** out of the helos, longer than they were meant to be used.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #407
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With only a thousand or so miles on the truck, I didn't have to clean anything before application.

People have used a Wagner sprayer for FF application, but I don't have any experience with it. You may want to search to see if any settings or tips work better than others. Here's a start.

I can speak about mud, but I drove though some very fine Utah dust and sand a few weeks after applying FF, and the underside of my truck looked a little like a cinnamon powdered donut. Most of the dust washed off with a garden hose and a few passes through an automatic wash with an undercarriage spray. The FF appeared to stay put after the dust was gone. The FF sites I've read acknowledge that dust will stick, but say not to worry about it.

Does Fluid Film® attract dirt?
Because Fluid Film® remains wet, it will get an initial dusting upon application, but because it contains no solvents and will not become sticky, it will not gum up or create a build up of dirt.

I'll go over it again with FF this spring to touch it up. I bought a gallon can with the undercoating gun, so it's easy to do. I'm curious to see how much rust I can find, and if the undercarriage wash did more harm than good. The difference between the areas covered by skid plates and not may be interesting.
Thanks. My bad - didn't see that U had a 2012. Thanks 4 the link.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #408
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomeontherange's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When the OP posts his unabridged account of the claims process, I'll bet his truck being a CPO vehicle not long before the problem was discovered will be an important point. Round II's 2005 probably won't be viewed in the same light, even without any frame alterations.
point of clarification: our Taco was not a certified pre-owned vehicle. it was a used vehicle purchased from a toyota dealership.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #409
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Round II View Post
Yep my 05 showing signs of the dreaded cancer in the same spot. Gonna try and do something aboot it tis summer.

You should go to Toyota about this. At least make a try. Your truck rusted in the same spot many others did so its no accident.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #410
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomeontherange View Post
point of clarification: our Taco was not a certified pre-owned vehicle. it was a used vehicle purchased from a toyota dealership.
Sorry, I forgot the fine detail (I edited my earlier post). Still, I'll bet that helped your case.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #411
rocket21 is on a distinguished road
rocket21's Tacoma Gallery
Just stumbled onto this thread and thought I'd crosspost what I had posted in another Toyota forum.

I have a 2005 4X4 6cyl Access Cab that I bought new and has never been driven on the beach or outside of New England-New York. To give you an idea of the condition of the vehicle, I'm still on the original clutch after 233,000 miles.

During a service visit in April, the dealership (in New Hampshire) flagged my frame as having rust issues.

- There is no campaign for 2005 Toyota Tacoma frame issues.
- If a dealership sees a potential frame issue, they will take photos of it and pass them on to the Field Rep.
- If the Field Rep deems the photos of interest, an appointment will be scheduled for when s/he is next at the dealership. The Field Rep can either then reject the claim or escalate it.
- Upon escalation, Toyota will either accept or reject the claim under 'goodwill'
- At some point in this process, your Tacoma will be flagged as having a failed frame. You will be unable to trade it in at *any* Toyota dealer until the frame is replaced.
- It will take 2-4 months for your frame to arrive at the dealership.
- It will take the dealer 1-2 weeks to install the frame. Toyota will *not* provide a loaner vehicle during this time.
- There are multiple reports of people getting their vehicles back with no fluids in the brakes/anti-freeze/etc. reservoirs after the frame replacement.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #412
Blze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant future

Air Force:
Name: JD
Blze001's Tacoma Gallery
Being as mine is a 2013 and will be living in the DC area, I'm hoping the rust will hold off long enough for Toyota to issue a TSB for it. This really isn't something we should be worried about in 2013. I'm kinda pissed.

I had an old Ford that, while the body was 40% rust, the frame was surface and that's it. And it lived in Kansas it's whole life an addition to almost never seeing an undercarrage wash.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #413
rocket21 is on a distinguished road
rocket21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blze001 View Post
Being as mine is a 2013 and will be living in the DC area, I'm hoping the rust will hold off long enough for Toyota to issue a TSB for it. This really isn't something we should be worried about in 2013. I'm kinda pissed.
A good friend of mine bought a 2000 Tacoma used (circa 2004 I think). His frame was flagged two years ago and Toyota gave him a very generous buyout - nearly as much as he had paid for it.

Think about it - someone buying a previous generation used Tacoma is getting better treatment than someone who buys the current generation brand new.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #414
SABAJA is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AFSOC
SABAJA's Tacoma Gallery
Thank goodness I live in Texas where it's so hot that rust spontaneously combusts. But seriously...I wonder how widespread this is. Is it something that EVERY Tacoma owner should be wary of, or something that only 1% of the Tacoma ownership will experience? I'm thinking it's somewhere in between. I never knew they didn't treat the frames for rust. Regardless of the geographic location, oxidation is something that most metals are susceptible to, steel and iron especially when it comes to rust.

I hope I don't experience that. My 2006 Tundra has a little rust in the engine bay on the interior of the front quarter panel. Just a little. I've never really noticed much underneath. Nothing noteworthy anyway. I talked to a guy today at work who owned a 2005 Tacoma...and lived in the NE as well as other places...and he said he's done nothing but changed the oil. Said he only washes it maybe 1x a year and it's been the greatest truck he ever owned because of the minimal upkeep the truck needed.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #415
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Any vehicle which is not ready to roll after the frame swap is an indication of a crappy shop, not Toyota policy.

My shop had a lot of first generation and tundra swaps under its belt, they knew what they were doing and were attentive to any after-swap issues. The tech had me bring it in at 30 days for a bolt tightening.

No fluids? That's an issue for corporate, the dealership management and the BBB.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #416
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post
Just stumbled onto this thread and thought I'd crosspost what I had posted in another Toyota forum.

I have a 2005 4X4 6cyl Access Cab that I bought new and has never been driven on the beach or outside of New England-New York. To give you an idea of the condition of the vehicle, I'm still on the original clutch after 233,000 miles.

During a service visit in April, the dealership (in New Hampshire) flagged my frame as having rust issues.

- If a dealership sees a potential frame issue, they will take photos of it and pass them on to the Field Rep.
- If the Field Rep deems the photos of interest, an appointment will be scheduled for when s/he is next at the dealership. The Field Rep can either then reject the claim or escalate it.
- Upon escalation, Toyota will either accept or reject the claim under 'goodwill'
- At some point in this process, your Tacoma will be flagged as having a failed frame. You will be unable to trade it in at *any* Toyota dealer until the frame is replaced.
- It will take the dealer 1-2 weeks to install the frame. Toyota will *not* provide a loaner vehicle during this time.
- There are multiple reports of people getting their vehicles back with no fluids in the brakes/anti-freeze/etc. reservoirs after the frame replacement.
That sucks that you are going through this, but I guess you guys can be the pioneers and go explore the yet unmapped territory. I believe it will be a while before Toyota puts out any documentation for frame replacements, unless there have been a lot more behind the scenes that we have not heard about. I doubt the first few first gen frame replacements prompted a recall; it was most likely after hundreds of frame replacements that Toyota decided they had a problem.

2-4 months for a frame of a currently produced model truckseems like way too long. It's not like the truck is out of production and they have to make one special. 1-2 weeks for frame replacement could be on par, I would assume it's very labor intensive to do the work. But to just give you the finger and say no loaner is BS. You need to fight for the loaner car. They are fixing their problem (hopefully they do), they shouldn't inconvenience you more than they already have.

And if the dealership returns your vehicle with no fluid, they are idiots and need to be reported to Toyota Corporate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomeontherange View Post
Any vehicle which is not ready to roll after the frame swap is an indication of a crappy shop, not Toyota policy.

My shop had a lot of first generation and tundra swaps under its belt, they knew what they were doing and were attentive to any after-swap issues. The tech had me bring it in at 30 days for a bolt tightening.

No fluids? That's an issue for corporate, the dealership management and the BBB.
Agreed. I understand that some dealerships probably have more experience with this process. If they spend a week or more replacing your frame and don't remember to replace the fluids they drained before swapping the frame, maybe they should probably revise their checklist.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #417
this ain't no picnic

I think my shop did the swap in about three business days, once they had the frame.

Extra time was added as they had to replace some front end pieces not planned on as part of the swap.

There was a wait on getting the replacement frame sourced. At the time, we had independent verification that there was not one shippable frame in the USA (perhaps North America, I don't remember exactly).
Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #418
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post

How in the hell do they get away with this? No loaner? Months waiting to get a frame with the truck flagged so you cant do anything with it until they replace it?
What happens if they flag the frame for a problem then decide its not bad enough to need replaced? You are then stuck in limbo with a truck you cant trade.
Then after waiting all this time and dealing with a frame swap you have the possibility of getting your truck back with no fluids.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #419
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
Loaner cars are at the discretion of individual dealers and not covered under any warranty programs unless you are in the class of BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.... No where does Toyota state a loaner is an entitlement. Your dealer may offer one as a courtesy and typically, that needs to be booked in advance.

The only way to insure you have a car during extended repairs is to buy rental car coverage through your auto insurance. Be sure to ask that this DOES cover extended repairs and not just accidents or trip breakdowns. Through my insurance, I am covered for up to $45 per day on a rental for a 30 day period. Beyond this, I get a deeply discounted rate out of pocket. But I do pay a couple bucks extra a month for this.

Please don't think you're entitled to a loaner. That is a dealer-optional perk you need to negotiate with your individual dealer. My dealer is always willing to give me a car for a few days but I'm a long-time repeat customer having bought 9 vehicles from them in 13 years (mine, my wife's and my daughter).

Check your insurance and add better rental coverage if needed. It's cheap!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #420
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyohtadude View Post
Loaner cars are at the discretion of individual dealers and not covered under any warranty programs unless you are in the class of BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.... No where does Toyota state a loaner is an entitlement. Your dealer may offer one as a courtesy and typically, that needs to be booked in advance.

The only way to insure you have a car during extended repairs is to buy rental car coverage through your auto insurance. Be sure to ask that this DOES cover extended repairs and not just accidents or trip breakdowns. Through my insurance, I am covered for up to $45 per day on a rental for a 30 day period. Beyond this, I get a deeply discounted rate out of pocket. But I do pay a couple bucks extra a month for this.

Please don't think you're entitled to a loaner. That is a dealer-optional perk you need to negotiate with your individual dealer. My dealer is always willing to give me a car for a few days but I'm a long-time repeat customer having bought 9 vehicles from them in 13 years (mine, my wife's and my daughter).

Check your insurance and add better rental coverage if needed. It's cheap!
Nothing against you but i think we ARE entitled to loaners for situations like this, i know we wont get one but i think we should.
Owner spends tens of thousands on a vehicle, vehicle needs extensive repairs by no fault of the owner. The dealer or toyota corporate should give a loaner along with a nice wad of cash for putting the innocent owner through a clusterfuck.

Products Discussed in this Thread