1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomeontherange, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Apr 3, 2015 at 8:14 AM
    jliberatore92

jliberatore92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Troy, MI
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off-road
    5100s with OME 885 coils. OME Dakar leaf and OME nitrocharger sport shocks., 265/75/R16 Duratracs
    Pretty happy with my results. Took a total of 6 months and 10 days from failed inspection to new frame. Lia Toyota in Colonie, NY.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last three pictures are of the new frame.

2. Apr 4, 2015 at 2:45 PM
    R0dzilla75

R0dzilla75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport
    HID fog light 265-70-17 Firestone destination ATs Led interiors lights TRD seat covers
    So I went by the dealership on Friday because I had to get some things out of my truck. I went around back where the tacomas were, about 15 total. I tried to unlock mine but no dice. Battery was dead as hell. I went back inside and had them use a portable battery to try and start it. It took about 5 minutes before it had enough juice to turn over. Battery had to be dead for a while. The lock wouldn't even work it was so dead. I have to admit that I was pissed. Told the service manager that when I dropped the truck off in early February that it was going to be started and moved daily. What a joke. I will be going by on a weekly basis. In fact, if my truck isn't ready by June I'll be driving it home. Frame or no frame. The guy was apologetic and stated he would see to it personally that it would be started and run regularly but it doesn't matter now. I'm taking care of it.

3. Apr 4, 2015 at 3:00 PM
    offgrid taco

offgrid taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ned
    mass
    Vehicle:
    18 cement TRD sport 6sp manual ac cab
    Went to visit mine a week ago to drop off some replacement parts for them to install. Battery was dead, window was left open, tire was flat and the lot attendant told me that this was the truck that had no reverse. I know it had reverse when I brought it in because I backed it into a spot when I dropped it off. I have never had a tire loose air either. Not sure what they have done to my truck in the last 3 months but this could get very interesting when its returned to me.

4. Apr 4, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    eppy

eppy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 V6 TRD OFFROAD
    Homer M3 thin lip Satoshi, BAMF Light Bar, BAMF Batwing Tie Downs, Coupe Custom Battery Hold Down, Mattgecko Bed light kit, nj636 hub/wheel bearing set-up,Shorty Antenna, JL Audio & Boston set-up, 4x4 switch light MOD, Icon 2.5 coil overs and rear shocks, All Pro flip kit, Wheelers AAL, OcTaco SS brake lines, Light Racing UCA's and custom 6 speed Ellis Precision Shift knob. Coupe modified short shifter, AISN clutch pack, URD TOB kit, and Sachs flywheel. Mobtown's rocking tailgate skin!
    Well Fellas,

Add another rotted frame to the list. My buddy was the head mechanic at Jones Toyota in Bel air MD. and while doing some work for me, he noticed both sides of the frame were rotted completely through!!!! Same story as the rest of the guys and dealership said they could have the truck for several months waiting for new frame and leaf springs!!!

Pissed to say the least and Just have to wait and see how it goes

5. Apr 15, 2015 at 4:29 AM
    jeeprjames

jeeprjames Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCLB 4X4 TRD Radiant Red
    ICON Stage 2, Retrax Pro, frame replaced by Toyota!
    This just in! I was looking at the Toyota Owners site this past Sunday when I noticed this little gem (posted below) had popped up for my truck. I have been getting the middle finger from corporate for the last year on getting my frame replaced. Finally getting some love it would appear! Truck goes in (for the third time) on Friday.

Title
    Limited Service Campaign (LSC) ESD - Certain 2005 - 2008 Model Year Tacoma Vehicles - Frame Inspection

Status
    Inspection Required

Description
    Certain 05-08 MY Tacoma vehicles operated in specific cold climate areas with high road salt use, may exhibit more than normal corrosion to the frame. This Limited Service Campaign (LSC) covers vehicles currently registered in AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, KS, LA, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, OR, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, WA, and WY.

Remedy
    Please contact an authorized Toyota Dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle inspected before 3/31/2016.

Campaign Date
    March 20, 2015

Campaign Expiration
    Date
    March 31, 2016

Dealer Reference ID
    ESD

6. Apr 18, 2015 at 4:06 AM
    Aderan

Aderan New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 manual 6-speed TRD SR5 Access cab 4wd
    My father ran over my tailgate.
    First post ever on the site: CRC limited service campaign is, uh, a clever way of saying 'oh shit, we can't have another recall.'
    I took my '05 in for a look-see...there was a frame 'hole'...they're keeping it for 3-5 months to REPLACE my frame.
    I'm still speechless...I'll be going back today to ask the questions I didn't because I was in shock.

7. Apr 18, 2015 at 11:39 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i'm up to about 7 weeks. rental cars are fun. :D

8. Apr 19, 2015 at 12:01 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    You know. If they went the extra mile to get these frames galvanized, they would nip this problem directly in the bud. Of course that costs extra money and given that in today's day and age America is all about the bottom line which are profit gains, I sadly don't forsee that ever happening.

9. Apr 19, 2015 at 5:45 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Not even galvanized, just frames properly painted and all the holes next to wheels (where snow + salt gets pushed inside frame) covered.

I did complete cleanup yesterday so my tuck looks brand new, washed engine and undercarriage. I am ready for inspection.
    Going to make appointment for next week and join the party.

10. Apr 19, 2015 at 11:26 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    galvanized would be great but if they just put a good protective coat to begin with - which they don't and didn't on 1st gens either. They should hire some one with common sense. It's got to be cheaper to do the right thing to start with then to go back and try to correct it later and just keep doing it for 10 or 15 years.

11. Apr 20, 2015 at 7:14 AM
    81shark

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    maybe alluminum

12. May 10, 2015 at 6:29 PM
    Mad Man Marty

Mad Man Marty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    6speed, TRD intake, bed tie downs, weathertech rear,Tint
    Spoke to my Harrisburg pa dealer this week.
    My truck was inspected in November '14 & needs a new frame.
    Was told that the trucks that were inspected in October do not even have their frames into the dealer yet. 6 months & waiting.

13. May 11, 2015 at 12:00 PM
    81shark

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    dropped mine off in feb and toyota(doesn't)care peeps said the frame would be in sept 7th. i'm not buying it

14. May 11, 2015 at 12:36 PM
    offgrid taco

Member:
    First Name:
    ned
    mass
    Vehicle:
    Just heard from my service friend that Toyota is starting to deny frame replacements for some people. He told me he had two frames which the dealer said needed to be replaced that were denied by corporate. Now they are telling them to spray all frames except for ones that are in imminent danger of failing. Basically if the frame will last two more years with spray then dont replace. If your going to get a new frame get it in and approved soon.

15. May 11, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    R0dzilla75

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport
    HID fog light 265-70-17 Firestone destination ATs Led interiors lights TRD seat covers
    Wow! They are obviously struggling with supply and demand. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering how long we who dropped our trucks off early 2015 are having to wait. Folks who get the o.k for a new frame today would wait until next year for completion IMO.

16. May 11, 2015 at 2:10 PM
    R0dzilla75

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport
    That may not be far off. By my calculations that's about the time I should get mine back barring anything unforeseen and we dropped our trucks off at about the same time. I base that off the dealer averaging 1 or 2 frames a month which is what they are telling me and what I've seen with my own eyes.

17. May 11, 2015 at 2:10 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I doubt it's supply and demand. It's probably more like "all these new frames are costing us a butt ton of money, let's start denying some".

18. May 11, 2015 at 2:59 PM
    offgrid taco

Member:
    First Name:
    ned
    mass
    Vehicle:
    Yup if they are doing 10000 frames thats over $130000000. Not exactly pocket change for anyone. My guess is the problem is much bigger than Toyota expected. Probably only figured on 1000 frames.

19. May 11, 2015 at 3:23 PM
    R0dzilla75

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport
    Or perhaps they underestimated the shark effect replacing a few frames would create. Although most frames are legitimately compromised.

20. May 11, 2015 at 5:20 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    I can't believe Toyota is rebuilding these trucks one at a time at the dealer!
    And particularly since they already had this lesson with Gen-1!

It takes about 30 mins to run a frame through a hot-dip galvanizing line manually.
    an automatic line would be much faster.

It takes days to R&R a frame.

Toyota could have advertised the only galvanized frame in the industry.
    They would have made extra sales on the deal & instead they're losing their shirt.

They must be hiring ex-GM engineers or something.

(I don't really blame the engineers. Engineers don't get to decide such things. Bean counters get that responsibility.)

Products Discussed in

To Top