Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #61
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomeontherange's Tacoma Gallery
we traded in 2 vehicles... one of which was my 98 ford ranger, 4 cyl & 5 speed. they didn't offer dick for it. I miss that little truck.

:-(
Old 12-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #62
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for updates but I've owned a lot of toyotas and there are currently 3 2nd gen tacos in my family. If Ive learned one thing about used cars but specifically Toyota trucks its
Check for rust before you buy and then at every oil change
Old 12-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #63
burtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud of
burtonboards32's Tacoma Gallery
How can one check for rust in a fully boxed frame? Once you see it, I would assume it is too late
Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #64
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonboards32 View Post
How can one check for rust in a fully boxed frame? Once you see it, I would assume it is too late
Theres a few holes in the frame you can reach a finger in to feel around. If it feels like smooth metal your good, if not then your kinda sol. Also take a small hammer and hit the frame, if the pitch changes then more than likely you have found a rust spot.

Edit: common spots are where the op has and also in front of the rear spring hanger. This not comes from my exp but from a Toyota tech who's worked for the last 20 years.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #65
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Sad to see this. Good luck, OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly View Post
The troubling part is that's in the front of the frame where it's boxed, so getting in there to do any sort of rust proofing is immensely difficult.

I coated my frame liberally in Fluid Film a few weekends ago, but while I got the outside of the rails, I know I didn't get inside in that area. Looks like I know what I'm doing tomorrow after my alignment.

This isn't promising though.
Kellsport sells two extended tips for their Fluid Film undercoating guns. The first places I applied FF was to the interior of the rocker panels and deep within the boxed frame sections. The same tips work well to fog inside crossmembers and other tight spots.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #66
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Sad to see this. Good luck, OP.

Kellsport sells two extended tips for their Fluid Film undercoating guns. The first places I applied FF was to the interior of the rocker panels and deep within the boxed frame sections. The same tips work well to fog inside crossmembers and other tight spots.
You need air to work their undercoating guns, correct? I don't have a compressor...yet.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #67
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

possible outcomes:

1.) ToyMoCo decides to make good on this (currently seems unlikely, jinx)

2.) Dealer works something out with us (not out of the realm of possibility, but...)

3.) TMC and dealer leave us hanging with a busted truck

so let's assume #3. WTF am I supposed to do with truck with frame rot like that?

Paying for a new frame replacement seems like a losing proposition right now, no?

Am I supposed to tarp it until toyota decides that they're going to do something for this generation?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #68
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
Might sound a little crazy but a fab shop might cut a square out and weld replacement section in. Looks like removing the exhaust would provide enough room to do so. Pretty much seems like the cheapest solution, but how much longer till the rest of the frame starts looking like that.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #69
this ain't no picnic

hmmm. there's a nearby shop doing restoration work. might have to have a talk with him if things don't pan out otherwise. thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #70
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Impressive.

I'm anal about frame maintenance, and living in the southeast helps. My truck should last until Jesus comes back.
Saturday?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #71
toyoTRDtaco is on a distinguished road

EMS: Medic
toyoTRDtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, this is crazy. My 06 had a lot of surface rust. I couldn't imagine your reaction when you saw that. If they don't do anything, I'd be running their loaner off a cliff lol.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #72
speeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Andres
speeddemon2588's Tacoma Gallery
I really hope TMC makes good on this, but if not I would think a law suit would ruffle some feathers. If your not in the mood for all the legal shenanigans I would also think your insurance could step in? Either way I hope all works out for you, such a shitty situation.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #73
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
my 12 was rearended and totaled.. but I recieved a quote from the dealer to replace the frame.. its at work, i will post the $# tomm just for an fyi.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #74
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomeontherange View Post
possible outcomes:

1.) ToyMoCo decides to make good on this (currently seems unlikely, jinx)

2.) Dealer works something out with us (not out of the realm of possibility, but...)

3.) TMC and dealer leave us hanging with a busted truck

so let's assume #3. WTF am I supposed to do with truck with frame rot like that?

Paying for a new frame replacement seems like a losing proposition right now, no?

Am I supposed to tarp it until toyota decides that they're going to do something for this generation?
If it goes to #3 I would do my best to blanket the web and contact anyone willing to listen.

Toyota had to make good previously due to safety concerns of frames breaking and cabs coming off the frame as well. So it is the same scenario, shame on them.

This is not your fault as some have stated and it was not the fault of the previous first gen truck owners either with rot problems. I have never had a frame problem concerning rust previous to owning my Tacoma and I have had a bunch of trucks or work trucks with no washing ever. None had frame rust scaling as bad as my current tacoma.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #75
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly View Post
You need air to work their undercoating guns, correct? I don't have a compressor...yet.
Yes, the undercoating guns require compressed air. I believe they give the air supply requirements on their site. If you plan to use FF annually, I think it's a good way to go.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #76
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Contact your local news if they dont do anything. The news loves Toyota problems.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #78
this ain't no picnic

good suggestions everyone. I will be posting my (social) media strategy for your consideration if it comes to that.

for the time being: let's think good thoughts.

@Beavis0076: - yes please, very interested to see that number
Old 12-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #79
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Contact your local news if they dont do anything. The news loves Toyota problems.
That's actually a really good idea
Don't jump the gun however. You want Toyota and the dealer on your side
Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #80
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomeontherange View Post
good suggestions everyone. I will be posting my (social) media strategy for your consideration if it comes to that.
If it comes to that, I'd suggest studying how the 1st gen recall developed. There may be some strategery in that story that could aid you in your quest.

Products Discussed in this Thread