Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #81
Banned
2012expedition has much to be proud of2012expedition has much to be proud of2012expedition has much to be proud of2012expedition has much to be proud of2012expedition has much to be proud of2012expedition has much to be proud of2012expedition has much to be proud of2012expedition has much to be proud of2012expedition has much to be proud of
EMS: BC Paramedic
2012expedition's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I've had Chevy's that are 25 years old that don't have rust as bad as that. As a new Tacoma owner this worries me. I'd like to see Toyota do something for you, this truck is 6 years old! It's still a new vehicle by most peoples standards. If worse comes to worse you could take the truck back and take it to a different dealership for a trade in, hopefully they don't look at it in that much detail and give you a decent trade in value. When I traded my 2010 jeep in at toyota they didn't even really look at it. I'll be checking back to see what happens with this.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #82
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomeontherange View Post
possible outcomes:

1.) ToyMoCo decides to make good on this (currently seems unlikely, jinx)

2.) Dealer works something out with us (not out of the realm of possibility, but...)

3.) TMC and dealer leave us hanging with a busted truck

so let's assume #3. WTF am I supposed to do with truck with frame rot like that?

Paying for a new frame replacement seems like a losing proposition right now, no?

Am I supposed to tarp it until toyota decides that they're going to do something for this generation?
Did you fill out NTHSA report already? I would do that. Work with corporate if that does not work try contacting Attorney general in the state.
On the side note: Toyota is replacing frames on everything from 4 runner to land Cruiser and Sequoia.
Not sure when they going to learn and pain that F frame. With exception of the rusty frames Toyota trucks are perfect, which leads me to believe this is doen on purpose by Toyota to limit lifetime of their vehicles.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #83
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
Hope they take care of you.
My dealer started the frame replacement on my 2001 before I even knew about the program.

Frame was replaced in 2000 or 2001 but the extended frame warranty runs until 2016 for my truck.

As soon as they were done with the frame, I drove directly to Ziebart and they shot the frame and truck. Should give me plenty of years before ever needing another truck.

Hope this isn't an indication of problems down the road.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #84
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Also OP
I had started frame rusted through club in 2011
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ough-club.html

This is how it starts.
I went to Toyota to open the case. they supposedly send Eng but he said its not bad. However, I wanted them to have complain on books. Notice its similar spot o n the frame as yours just on the outside.

Also I was spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
I wil ltake a pic of my Toyota 94 LC frame that had never been touched (factory rust protection)

I find it funny that you now talking about 1gen of Tundra. You do understand that Tundra is 2gen of T100, right? renamed to Tundra...
and our Trucks are old Tundra/T100 with new body and updated engine.
Not sure why you bringing Raptor to conversation. Red Hearing ...

BTW of course you not goign to find 2gen truck with hole through the frame. Its too early. It took 7 -8 years for Tundra to rust through so first 2gen Tacoma with hole in the frame should be here around 2012-2013.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #85
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomeontherange's Tacoma Gallery
what's in a name?

a little brainstorming:

I'm trying to come up with a good name for the group / campaign that we will need to run across the internet (website, facebook etc) to gather everyone who's having second gen problems.

I was thinking rustytacos but, strangely, that's the name of a tex-mex franchise already.

from the little I've seen, tundra owners are also experiencing these problems. so we want something inclusive.

and we want something that is descriptive (hello search engines) without being subject to a take-down demand by TMC because it violates trademark or impugns their good name or some crap like that.

ideas?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #86

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomeontherange View Post
a little brainstorming:

I'm trying to come up with a good name for the group / campaign that we will need to run across the internet (website, facebook etc) to gather everyone who's having second gen problems.

I was thinking rustytacos but, strangely, that's the name of a tex-mex franchise already.

from the little I've seen, tundra owners are also experiencing these problems. so we want something inclusive.

and we want something that is descriptive (hello search engines) without being subject to a take-down demand by TMC because it violates trademark or impugns their good name or some crap like that.

ideas?
I just sent you PM with pottential name.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #87
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah, feel free to PM them to me if you don't want to share with the class just yet

Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #88
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm. Im gonna stick my inspection camera in the boxed part of the frame this week. I wonder how bad it is... Outside of the frame looks like shit
Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #89
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
subbed because mine looked that bad (the surface rust areas) before i coated the exterior of the frame with chassis saver.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #90
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
ok,
quote from Michaels toyota in Bellevue WA for replacing the frame.
Frame Assy $5,579.96
Install new frame $5,750.00 40 hours to install at $115 per hour.

I might have missed it but how many miles are on your truck?
best idea ive heard so far is having a frame shop cut that section out and reweld in a new one. .. im sure you can find a wrecked taco and cut that piece out..

oh and for a name.. someone on my bent frame thread said brokeback toyota.. I thought that was a pretty funny one.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #91
this ain't no picnic

we're at approx 155,000 miles

many thanks for the figures. very helpful.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #92
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
those are some scary figures
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #93
Lets Go State!
PSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to behold

PSUnick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
ok,
quote from Michaels toyota in Bellevue WA for replacing the frame.
Frame Assy $5,579.96
Install new frame $5,750.00 40 hours to install at $115 per hour.
Maybe you can work out a deal with the dealership. You buy the frame, they pickup the labor cost. In trade you keep it out of the local news.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #94
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ i dont think the news would give 2 shits about a truck with a rusty frame.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #95
Lets Go State!
PSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to behold

PSUnick's Tacoma Gallery
Do you really think that frame rusted out in one year?

Its the fact that the local dealership serviced and sold a vehicle with a rotten frame.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #96
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^ i dont think the news would give 2 shits about a truck with a rusty frame.
The news might... it's a safety concern. The dealership must be held accountable since they're the ones that supposedly did the so called "100 point inspection."
Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #97
Bad Spuller

no, im sure it was pretty bad when it was sold.. who knows really.. OP didnt know..
cars are sold used every day and have issues.. when was the last time you saw it on the news?
I think it woudld be great if the news added pressure.. I just dont think they will.. just my opinion.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #98
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no, im sure it was pretty bad when it was sold.. who knows really.. OP didnt know..
cars are sold used every day and have issues.. when was the last time you saw it on the news?
I think it woudld be great if the news added pressure.. I just dont think they will.. just my opinion.
But this one was sold after it got checked off by a 100 point inspection as safe to drive... only to find out its got a gapping hole in the frame so large that the dealership won't let the customer drive it home.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #99
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I was just contacted this morning by a guy I know well who has a 2005 and has the same exact hole just smaller. He has kept his frame up to par with sanding and painting on the exterior of the boxed section.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #100
this ain't no picnic

tell him to sign up and get in on this thread with us. has he contacted his dealer or TMC?

Products Discussed in this Thread