1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomeontherange, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Dec 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    tacomeontherange

tacomeontherange [OP] this ain't no picnic

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    Nice one mikey, I was hoping to see some tech info like that.

coolerman, holy schnikes! I have PM'ed that member. it's been a while since he visited the forum. hopefully it will notify him by email. if anyone knows Fortech then please ask him to check-in on us here.

2. Dec 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Just more information...

I looked at a Double Cab, but I don't know the configuration codes. I used code GRN265L-PRADKA as reference (I apologize for not spending more time with this).

Again, there are 3 part numbers for the frame. 2004.09-2008.05, 2008.05-2008.08 and then 2008.08-present.

I have been using www.toyotapartszone.com as my reference point, simply because they're one of the few websites that will supply OEM part numbers. The only problem I am running into is that they only go up to 2010.

www.toyodiy.com is another source for the OEM part numbers and you can input your VIN to get the correct chassis code.

Keep us updated. I ordered two more cans of Fluid Film the other day so I'm going to unload into that section of the frame (again) this weekend. Rust is the sole thing I dislike about being an an auto enthusiast in MA.

3. Dec 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    Badgtho

Badgtho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD sport 6spd
    TRD exhaust, TRD beadlock wheels, moto xtender
    I'm subscribed to see the results as we all may get there.

What I wrestle with is the lack of personal responsibility. First by the dealer: selling this truck was an error. Hell; buying it on trade or at the auction was as well. The hole is huge. 100pt inspection? My a$$

I also wrestle with the personal responsibility of the op. again, that hole is huge. A year ago that spot was crusty and soft. If your not able to perform a pre purchase inspection then pay a mechanic or ask a friend.

4. Dec 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB TRD OR Super White
    Understood!!!!!!

But if there was, it wouldn't make sense for you to just roll the negative equity over.

5. Dec 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    Agreed. Always check out a used vehicle when purchasing. Especially one 6 years old with know frame rot problems.

6. Dec 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Yup, that's me. I didn't have to fight with corporate at all, I was lucky enough to have a great service manager who went to bat for me. Most of the details have been covered off in my thread.

I'm currently out of town for work and typing this on my phone, but I'll read this thread in its entirety when I get home tomorrow, and try to help in whatever way that I can. Till then, best of luck!

7. Dec 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    tacomeontherange

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    Seeing as how the nature of our purchase experience has yet to be described here I think the "personal responsibility" advocates are exposing their bias a little prematurely.

Also, it's not as if I tried to use a handgun as a hammer and shot myself in the foot and am now attempting to get redress from the arms manufacturer.

I hear what you're saying but you need to dial it down a little bit.

When we bought the house we're in, which is close to 100 years old I brought in 4 specialized trades people for inspections of specific systems / issues in addition to the home inspector.

I'm not the only owner of this era of tacoma that is experiencing frame failure.

I did not buy this truck from Charlie's Used Cars on Route 5. I bought this from a large Toyota dealer which holds significant inventory and has a long history in this town.

If you're telling me that my regular independent mechanic would have seen the rust rot just by putting this on the lift then maybe you can explain why the dealer shop didn't investigate this any of the multiple times they've had it on the lift for rotation, tires, alignment etc since we purchased it. That's after it passed their 100 point inspection at time of trade.

I'm not badmouthing the dealership service crew, they have been quite professional and attentive in our service issues. I want toyota techs working on the things I can't handle.

The service manager said to me on the phone today, "we're not going to go around with a hammer and screwdriver tapping on all spots of the frame with every trade in we get". Considering the nightmare recall they went through with Gen-1 I find this a surprising attitude to take; why wouldn't TMC be monitoring this and requesting field feedback? And why wouldn't the dealer be investigating frames as part of trade-ins before they concluded the trade-in deal? That strikes me as odd.

I bought a clean 6 year old truck that was not certifiable (because, we were told, they have a mileage limit) from a reputable company dealership with the information that the previous one owner worked for TMMK and all service had been done in the dealership shop. It wasn't too good to be true, we paid a lot of money for this truck.

Service dept took care, at no cost, of some initial things that came up immediately after the sale, and we've not balked at keeping the service intervals to spec since then.

I've seen the guys who abuse their tools to death and take them back to sears because they say craftsman on them. I'm not one of those guys.

Did the salesman do his job? yes. Might we have protected ourselves a little better? Probably.

8. Dec 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Frame rot is NOT a known problem on 2nd gen Tacomas.

I would be willing to bet that 99% of us would miss that frame rot if we were buying that truck due to its location. Also i doubt that even 50% of us would even look . And when i sold Toyotas no one ever had the used autos looked at by another shop. People tend to trust major dealerships when it comes the the vehicle being safe to drive and without major problems.

Lay off the OP.

Roostfactor likes this.
  9. Dec 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Ya but so what ?

There has to be frames at the plant , it's not like they ship them from overseas one at a time as the trucks are being built , they have to have a stockpile

10. Dec 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    tacomeontherange

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    I'm sorry man, but this line of inquiry just isn't interesting for me today.

It would be if a frame-ectomy was on the schedule. Right now it's not.

I'm more interested in knowing the source of my frame and what other vehicles those went into to see who else has severe problems.

Did you catch what Fortech said in his thread as quoted above? My frame collapsed on Aug 30, 2011. Toyota owned up to the problem with a complete frame replacement. Today is January 20, 2012 and my truck will be ready this morning. I count that as 5 months from failure to completed replacement. Perhaps tsunami related delays were to blame for some of that. Or maybe the frames that exist are designated for builds and can't be re-routed. Don't know and won't care unless and until they tell me my truck is getting a free replacement. Otherwise their supply chain issues, or my dealership's inability to source frames or - perhaps - tell me the truth, are not my concern.

11. Dec 20, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I've followed Fortech's issues with his truck

12. Dec 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Did first gen tundras have the same frame as our tacomas?

13. Dec 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    Badgtho

Badgtho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD sport 6spd
    TRD exhaust, TRD beadlock wheels, moto xtender
    Yet. Give it time. Show me a Toyota truck body style that is not known to rot.
    In new England they all do.

So 50% of people are wrong.
    And we have not seen other pics if the OP's frame. Im willing to bet the rest of that frame is not exactly glistening.

Trust in "major" dealerships and not getting a used car checked out (or checking it yourself) if qualified is negligent IMHO.

Every used car I buy I show up with a jack and creeper. I've never had a dealer or individual without something to hid question my methods. If its my money it's my rules or it's not the vehicle for me.

14. Dec 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I think this is the bottom line. I doubt Toyota's frame issues are particularly worse than other manufacturers. I think people just expect more of ToMoCo due to their reputation.

Take any brand of truck you want to up into New England and watch how it holds up.

Whether or not you get corrosion problems is largely a factor of where you live.

15. Dec 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    tacomeontherange

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    According to toyodiy this is how my VIN breaks down

Market N. America
    Year 11/2004
    Make TOYOTA
    Model TACOMA
    Frame GRN245

16. Dec 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Youre one of very few people.
    Fact is the truck was sold with its 100 point inspection with a rotting frame. With that said, even fewer people would have it checked out. I never had someone even inspect the vehicle closely. Its not like theyre buying from some no name dealership or craigs list.
    Something tells me we will be seeing alot more 05-08 tacomas with crap frames. To bad it will be a long while for a recall.

17. Dec 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    tacomeontherange

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    I'm sorry but this line of reasoning is BS in relation to the frame issue under discussion here; both in relation to the fact that TMC had to recall the entire generation of vehicles preceding this one due to frame issues, and the reality of other vehicles in the northeast which I have personal experience of.

Body rot and steel issues for some manufacturers were well known and they were nationwide issues, especially in the early day of imports. that is not the situation now.

"doubt Toyota's frame issues are particularly worse than other manufacturers." are you kidding me or a fucking troll? seriously. what part of "toyota sued frame manufacturer Dana and won" don't you understand?

This is craigslist for pittsburgh as an example, look at all those ford rangers from the early 1990s: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/se...ger&srchType=T&zoomToPosting=&minAsk=&maxAsk=

this is syracuse: http://syracuse.craigslist.org/sear...ger&srchType=T&zoomToPosting=&minAsk=&maxAsk=

this is Boston: http://boston.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=ford+ranger&srchType=T&zoomToPosting=&minAsk=&maxAsk=

heavy winters = salty roads = potential for body and underbody corrosion issues. really? that's more than old news. and that's all you're saying with this stuff.

People expect more of TMC due to reputation? Frame failure after 6 years is bullshit no matter the make or model.

You might want to check google earth but the last time I looked Kentucky wasn't considered New England.

18. Dec 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    X10

19. Dec 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    OP you're 100% right. Toyota is known for major frame rot issues.

I can totally understand why you trust the dealer you bought it from. But based on my experience and what I know about Toyotas frames, I would have had it inspected before buying the truck. I just hope that others can learn from this and I hope you get your frame replaced.

I really hope you don't have to get the frame repaired, that would suck.

20. Dec 20, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    You need to settle waaaay way down there champ. No one's attacking you.

I'm just noting that corrosion is going to be a much bigger problem in the salt belt. Unwad yon underwear.

I'm speaking in respect to current models, not the well-documented, DANA caused problems with first gen frames.

You might be on the wrong forum. Probably a good 40% of the members on here hadn't/haven't thought of this. You'd be amazed how often we get threads on here of people who bought poorly maintained trucks (used, as is, of course) in the rust belt areas, never inspected them, had a mechanic or friend find rust problems, and then go on rants about they should be able to acid-bathe exposed metal on their trucks without corrosion issues and this is all Toyota's fault.

Indeed. But I've seen one, maybe two trucks. Hardly an epidemic. It's a statistical certainly some defective assemblies will be inadvertantly released into the wild. Because, you know...reality.

You have my sympathy for ending up with a bad egg. Based on the general lack of any evidence of widespread 2gen rust problems thus far, you'll pardon my lukewarm reception to the idea.

Once you, or anyone else, can bring me some viable numbers showing the rust problems are happening again with this gen, I might change my mind. Until then...meh.

:rolleyes:

Yes, because I was obviously speaking directly to you and not making a general statement.

Ease the attitude. It's not helping you nor anyone else.

Products Discussed in

To Top