Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomeontherange's Tacoma Gallery
2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

This is a 2005 Tacoma (yes, oh five) extended cab TRD.

We're the second owner, purchased this from the dealership and they've done all major work / service on this vehicle. Incl new tires, alignment and regular rotation. We've had this a little over a year.

Had the truck in at the dealership for new brakes today. They called me to say that there was a major hole in the frame. see photo.

I said "is it safe to drive?" They said... "No".

They told me to call Toyota Corporate to open a case and get a case number. I got a case number and that's about all from the phone call.

They are following up with the regional toyota person.

We're in a loaner.

They will be taking more forensic photos on monday to submit to Toyota for review / action.

Possible outcomes have not been discussed at this point.

I'll keep this thread updated.
Attached Thumbnails
2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer-toyota-frame-hole.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, that's insane. Best of luck.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
Jeeez.... 2005 and that much rust-through? I'd expect this near the ocean or in the salted-roads of the north but..... Hope Toyota does you justice. Keep us informed.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
That'll buff right out.

Holy Chit!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyohtadude View Post
Jeeez.... 2005 and that much rust-through? I'd expect this near the ocean or in the salted-roads of the north but..... Hope Toyota does you justice. Keep us informed.
He is the second owner. No telling where the first owner lived.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
pbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
pbm317's Tacoma Gallery
Wow!! lucky they caught that before anything catastrophic happened!

Hope Toyota comes to a good solution for you.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
The troubling part is that's in the front of the frame where it's boxed, so getting in there to do any sort of rust proofing is immensely difficult.

I coated my frame liberally in Fluid Film a few weekends ago, but while I got the outside of the rails, I know I didn't get inside in that area. Looks like I know what I'm doing tomorrow after my alignment.

This isn't promising though.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm something tells me you might be sol until more have this issue. Like the first gens.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever get a Carfax that shows where the truck had been? If it's near the sea all the time, rust can develop quickly on most vehicles.

For example: http://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledin...the_brake_job/
Quote:
2004 Jeep Liberty with 112,000 miles. The owner uses it to rent out jet skis on the beach here in Florida. One problem: He never washes off the salt when he is done.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Look at all that rust D:
Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
this ain't no picnic
tacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomeontherange is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomeontherange's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I'm warming the buffer up now as we speak. LOL

AFAIK the original owner worked for Toyota Manufacturing here in KY. That doesn't mean that it didn't travel out of state for whatever reasons. But we have good reason to believe that it spent much time here in state.

For those who don't know, Kentucky winters are mild with very little snow accumulation -- and what little there is does not stay on the ground long. Yes, roads do get salted for snow and brined for icey conditions. But this is nothing like a Pennsylvania winter, for example.

More news as I have it.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Wow!!! that's a lot of rust!!! Good luck with the corporate!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Almost looks like it was cut out
Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
slo2sixty is on a distinguished road

slo2sixty's Tacoma Gallery
Crazy!! I have to look at mine now and apply something soon! NY winters ugh. And i drive a plow truck and know how much salt and brine gets put down on the roads.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Btw I love that sub Reddit. It was alot of cool pics of CARnage.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
holy crap, im checking mine first light tomoro, please keep us up to date on the ass raping toyota is going to try on you
Old 12-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder when Toyota will start putting a coating inside the frame and adding drain holes. They have had this problem literally for 30 some odd years(rust is common in pickups and 4runners). They did sort of by not having a fully boxed frame on 2nd gens though.

Products Discussed in this Thread