Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Camping in my truck bed ideas, need ideas for a set up

Old 12-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Camping in my truck bed ideas, need ideas for a set up

Thinking of doing some serious camping this year with my lady and friends. My idea is to get the bestop soft top and get a truck bed air mattress

Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
get the AIRBEDZ it's kick ass! self inflating, and suuuuper thick!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
I've slept in my bestop many times while camping. My observations...

It doesn't insulate. At all. It was freezing in there by morning.
If you plan on sleeping by yourself, your cargo and gear will fit, but with 2 people all the stuff has to go either on the ground or in the cab.
Zipping yourself in there is a bit of a task.
Mine is not waterproof, it leaks in the front corners.
I have a shortbed, so comfort is not an option at 6'2", and forget having a lady in there with you. I see you have a long bed, so no worries there.

The above is why I'm selling my Bestop, and getting a roof top tent. Those truck bed tents aren't a bad idea either.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.truckairbedz.com/
Old 12-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
I've slept in my bestop many times while camping. My observations...

It doesn't insulate. At all. It was freezing in there by morning.
If you plan on sleeping by yourself, your cargo and gear will fit, but with 2 people all the stuff has to go either on the ground or in the cab.
Zipping yourself in there is a bit of a task.
Mine is not waterproof, it leaks in the front corners.
I have a shortbed, so comfort is not an option at 6'2", and forget having a lady in there with you. I see you have a long bed, so no worries there.

The above is why I'm selling my Bestop, and getting a roof top tent. Those truck bed tents aren't a bad idea either.

I really like the bestop softops and you can drive with them to the park so you dont have to set up a tent when you get there but with what you have said it worries me to get one now.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
thanks man, they are on amazon for a good price to

http://www.amazon.com/AirBedz-Origin...attress+tacoma
Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #7

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
nice! here's my take on them... as you can see in my thread, you can call them and get a tw discount.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...-air-bedz.html
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
NoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
NoSoup4You's Tacoma Gallery
Love my roof tent. A little more pricey than a bed tent or a soft-top and mattress, but the convenience and space is amazing.

Much higher quality than a normal "tent" so it can be used in many more weather situations. I can take this thing in 60MPH wind, torrential rain, snow, whatever. Simple to setup - and no more emptying the bed to sleep!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
I really like the bestop softops and you can drive with them to the park so you dont have to set up a tent when you get there but with what you have said it worries me to get one now.
That was my initial idea, and why I bought mine to begin with. But I soon realized there's about the same amount of work involved as far a setting up. I'd rather have my tent in a bag in the bed with my cargo safe up in there and just setup the tent on the ground.

But like I said, my ideal setup is a roof top tent like this.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
NoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shed

This was my first tent .. almost a queen size bed inside.
Mounted to the All-Pro rack, but there are tons more options for racks now then when I bought mine.

I ended up downsizing because this one was a little beef for my liking for regular offroad use, but I have seen larger ones on Tacoma expo rigs. just to each their own.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #11

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
that truck is SICK! ^
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
Location: Home: Lexington, VA Current: Pittsburgh/Chicora, PA
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
id say a rtt and one of these my personal design (i dont plan on getting an rtt so mine it just for storage and keeping stuff out of the bed) Camping in my truck bed ideas, need ideas for a set up-screen-shot-2012-12-11-10.50.38-pm.jpg
Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
That was my initial idea, and why I bought mine to begin with. But I soon realized there's about the same amount of work involved as far a setting up. I'd rather have my tent in a bag in the bed with my cargo safe up in there and just setup the tent on the ground.

what color is that? thats awesome, looks like a flat finish mgm
Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #14

Quote:

That truck is awesome, and I wonder what the inside of that looks like
Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #15

Quote:
That truck is awesome, and I wonder what the inside of that looks like
other than leather and custom seat logos, not much different.

XPLORE does aftermarket expo packages for a few different vehicles .. they are all super overpriced.

EDIT: Tacoma prices: http://www.xplorevehicles.com/toyota...ota-tacoma.asp
Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4You View Post
other than leather and custom seat logos, not much different.

XPLORE does aftermarket expo packages for a few different vehicles .. they are all super overpriced.

EDIT: Tacoma prices: http://www.xplorevehicles.com/toyota...ota-tacoma.asp

What is a average price for the rooftop tents?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #17

Quote:
What is a average price for the rooftop tents?
depends on brand and size .. you can get a small quality tent for as little at 600-700 brand new. The nicer brands like ARB are around 2000. If you look at top-of-line African or South American brands, they can be upwards of 3000
Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Series-I...101-P3658.aspx heres the arb one. i know there are others as well
Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4You View Post
depends on brand and size .. you can get a small quality tent for as little at 600-700 brand new. The nicer brands like ARB are around 2000. If you look at top-of-line African or South American brands, they can be upwards of 3000
What do the low end models cost? is there a website I can go to to see how much they run?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #20

I actually went with a cheaper brand, because they are local to Santa Cruz, CA

Did lots of research on Expedition Portal, and even though these are made in China the product looked like a nice balance between quality and price. And the owner has a great reputation for going above and beyond for his customers.

http://www.tepuitents.com/

ARB and Cascadia are good mid-price brands.

Some of the more expensive are Howling Moon, AutoHome, Eezi-Awn

EDIT: Some additional popular brands
Camping Lab, Hannibal, Mombasa, Racktents, Technitop