Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealer offers synthetic/K&N

Old 08-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer offers synthetic/K&N

Hi everyone, got a flyer from my dealer yesterday, I did discuss with them (at one point)changing to syn, probably Mobil 1 as my S.O. has it in her long term Subie.
They now are offering syn oil change and tire rotation for $59.00. Not that I would take them up, its just its the first time they have mentioned syn oil, in any discussions. They did not mention who's brand either.

I have 11K on my 06,V6 and I will change it before winter and probably will go to syn oil.
I know many TW forum members use syn Still using Taco filters, does anyone use K&N oil filters, are they really better ? Thanks

Jeff
06,V6,6spd, 4x4 bone stock, for the moment.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
tacopuppy is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
tacopuppy's Tacoma Gallery
I think the only advantage of a K&N oil filter is the hex nut on the end for easy removal, which is non-issue on this truck since the filter is in a great removal friendly location. I use them in my motorcycles because it is a bitch to get filters in and out of most modern sport bikes. I would just go with OEM filters for the truck. you can get 'em in bulk for cheap..
Old 08-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
dirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to behold

dirthawker1313's Tacoma Gallery
im just getting to 2000 miles on my 07 taco. i plan on using syn oil when i do my first oil change. im going with amsoil 0-30w series 2000. it has a high concentration of zinc in it wich is good for your cam lobes and such. i have heard of alot of failures in motors due to the low concentration of zinc in the newer oils. you can google or yahoo this subject and read about it. redline actually makes an additive just for breaking in motors wich has large amount of zinc and other metals that are good for your motor...
Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I like the pure one filters, they keep pressure nice like the old delco filters did.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the comments, seems Redline oil is more $$ in my part of the world, next time I get to a local dealer, I will ask them about getting me a better price on a half/whole case of filters. WallyWorld had some decent prices on syn oil , whether I use Mobil or Castrol.
I was told that K&N had better filter element but you never know as someone must make K&N's filters for them.

Jeff
06,6spd, 4x4 , SR5 bone stock.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
dirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to behold

dirthawker1313's Tacoma Gallery
i would try Mobil 1 syn. i know wally world carries it. im going to use amsoil wich you can only get thru small dealers and its damn near 10 bucks a quart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Thanks for the comments, seems Redline oil is more $$ in my part of the world, next time I get to a local dealer, I will ask them about getting me a better price on a half/whole case of filters. WallyWorld had some decent prices on syn oil , whether I use Mobil or Castrol.
I was told that K&N had better filter element but you never know as someone must make K&N's filters for them.

Jeff
06,6spd, 4x4 , SR5 bone stock.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #7

Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Thats where I buy my oil in general, at WallyWorld, good price on Mobil 1 as my girlfriends Subie has been on it for years. I would hope that I could get approx 6,000 between changes. I usually watch for her oil to just to start to change color and within a 1000miles I change it. Her car has 126K on it.
I really like the benefits of the syn during the winter and summer heat.
WallyWorlds price seems to hold steady also.
Jeff
06, 6spd, SR5, 4x4 Brilliant Red
Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
...changing to syn, probably Mobil 1 as my S.O. has it in her long term Subie.

I have 11K on my 06,V6 and I will change it before winter and probably will go to syn oil.

Jeff
06,V6,6spd, 4x4 bone stock, for the moment.

Jeff the Man, Lube Master from Hopkinton University. Its a sin to waste money on syn. IMO, Astroglide is the BEST lube out there. Just what the doctor ordered and Gyno certified. Check it out and please convince me I'm wrong.

BTW, you truck is really slow and maybe your brakes are binding. I've already got 21K on mine. You've got to go a little faster so switch to Astroglide .
Old 08-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #9

Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Themaster is THE MAN, finally got a rise out of my friends north of the border. Yes, only 11K on my truck, of course I have not been trucking back and forth building a house, hauling rocks, getting caught in snow drifts etc.
Just got my girlfriends Subie out of Subie Hospital, in for its timing belt, waterpump, regular belts and Astro oil change. Good for another 70K at least on the belts. However it will need a clutch soon, probably at Christmas when all the other Christmas bills arrive. LOL I did ask our Subie tech guys to change the radiator hoses, as they have 126K on them, the owner told me not to worry as his personal Subie has over 200 with no problem. Amazing. He only has two on stock as he said he they never wear out.
Hope your work is going well and your washing the TRD Sport once in a while. Nice to hear from you and I am glad to get you out of your office.
Hope those MapleLeafs regain there once proud status as an original six team. Can't say the same for the B's as they are mired in mis-managment, as a fish rots from the head down. Unless they spend some money, it looks like another 2nd to last finish.

Jeff
06,6spd, SR5, Brillliant Red, 4x4 bone stock.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:54 AM   #10
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaster View Post
Jeff the Man, Lube Master from Hopkinton University. Its a sin to waste money on syn. IMO, Astroglide is the BEST lube out there. Just what the doctor ordered and Gyno certified. Check it out and please convince me I'm wrong.

BTW, you truck is really slow and maybe your brakes are binding. I've already got 21K on mine. You've got to go a little faster so switch to Astroglide .
You are absolutely right, Astroglide is the greatest lube ever, i don't know what i would do without it. I do believe it was developed my NASA for something but got dropped and is now used for other things.....
Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #11
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
You are absolutely right, Astroglide is the greatest lube ever, i don't know what i would do without it. I do believe it was developed my NASA for something but got dropped and is now used for other things.....
Thank You.

NASA made it for all those orgies they have up in heaven but didn't know how to send it up there. So they dumped it on us for a little bit of heaven. Its amazing how Astroglide can get you into a tight spot and a Tacoma's 4LO can get you out of a tight spot. The ultimate combination.

BTW if "ndcouch" is short for No-Damn-Couch, I ain't watching TV at your place.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #12
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank You.

NASA made it for all those orgies they have up in heaven but didn't know how to send it up there. So they dumped it on us for a little bit of heaven. Its amazing how Astroglide can get you into a tight spot and a Tacoma's 4LO can get you out of a tight spot. The ultimate combination.

BTW if "ndcouch" is short for No-Damn-Couch, I ain't watching TV at your place.
Well its a good thing i didnt invite you over to watch TV then isn't it? besides you're Canadian, and there are only two kinds of people i dont let into my house..... Canadians and Texans, with their cowboy hats and dirty boots and spurs ripping up all my furniture......

actually "ndcouch" was my email at College. first and middle initial and my last name. I use it most forums since its easy to remember. I should come up with something cool though, like "TRD_off_road_black_sand_pearl_V6_double_cab_truck _(with_tow_package)" Thats what i want for my new handle on here, go ahead and make the change 007
Old 08-22-2007, 07:34 PM   #13
Born to Ride

Quote:
go ahead and make the change 007
BTW, another guy who uses Astroglide is Mr. Bond, 007. How do you think he managed 2000 plus posts. He uses it on his fingers, instead. Poor misguided dude. Dont you think he deserves a little bit of heaven too?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #14

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
BTW, another guy who uses Astroglide is Mr. Bond, 007. How do you think he managed 2000 plus posts. He uses it on his fingers, instead. Poor misguided dude. Dont you think he deserves a little bit of heaven too?
There's nothing wrong with using it on your fingers.... Besides, thats not how 007 got over 2000 posts. He got 2000 posts cause he's a mod now and probably went and changed it. i wouldn't be surprised if he had 35,000 post by tomorrow
Old 08-24-2007, 06:55 AM   #15
Born to Ride

He can do that? I want to be mod too.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #16

nd's Tacoma Gallery
The first thing i'm gonna do when i'm a mod is ban 007 from the site and then make all the texans on the site do whatever i say! take that 007! Nobody messes with the Carolina Alliance.... unless we're sitting down, sleepy, drunk, or really interested in a TV show we're watching.... but outside of those times nobody messes with the Alliance!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #17
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
nuh uh! Texan right here and i'm just sittin here oiling maw shotgun...... haha actually i'm at work but yeah haha.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #18
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The first thing i'm gonna do when i'm a mod is ban 007 from the site and then make all the texans on the site do whatever i say! take that 007! Nobody messes with the Carolina Alliance.... unless we're sitting down, sleepy, drunk, or really interested in a TV show we're watching.... but outside of those times nobody messes with the Alliance!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 AM   #19

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
nuh uh! Texan right here and i'm just sittin here oiling maw shotgun...... haha actually i'm at work but yeah haha.
Damn it!!! i find a new Texan on this site every day!!! Although i'm not sure your actually from Texas, you called it a shotgun instead of a scattergun. everyone knows that Texans call 'em scatterguns. i bet you're just posing as a texan...
Old 08-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #20
Born to Ride

Quote:
Damn it!!! you called it a shotgun instead.......
Guys, this thread is about Astroglide. Where did shot guns come from? So, stop thrashing this thread and get back on subject.

I'm not a mod but working towards being one. How am I doing so far?