1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer offers synthetic/K&N

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jeff, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Aug 16, 2007 at 1:54 PM
    Jeff

Jeff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Hi everyone, got a flyer from my dealer yesterday, I did discuss with them (at one point)changing to syn, probably Mobil 1 as my S.O. has it in her long term Subie.
    They now are offering syn oil change and tire rotation for $59.00. Not that I would take them up, its just its the first time they have mentioned syn oil, in any discussions. They did not mention who's brand either.

I have 11K on my 06,V6 and I will change it before winter and probably will go to syn oil.
    I know many TW forum members use syn Still using Taco filters, does anyone use K&N oil filters, are they really better ? Thanks

Jeff
    06,V6,6spd, 4x4 bone stock, for the moment.

2. Aug 16, 2007 at 2:34 PM
    tacopuppy

tacopuppy Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think the only advantage of a K&N oil filter is the hex nut on the end for easy removal, which is non-issue on this truck since the filter is in a great removal friendly location. I use them in my motorcycles because it is a bitch to get filters in and out of most modern sport bikes. I would just go with OEM filters for the truck. you can get 'em in bulk for cheap..

3. Aug 16, 2007 at 6:21 PM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    im just getting to 2000 miles on my 07 taco. i plan on using syn oil when i do my first oil change. im going with amsoil 0-30w series 2000. it has a high concentration of zinc in it wich is good for your cam lobes and such. i have heard of alot of failures in motors due to the low concentration of zinc in the newer oils. you can google or yahoo this subject and read about it. redline actually makes an additive just for breaking in motors wich has large amount of zinc and other metals that are good for your motor...

4. Aug 16, 2007 at 8:53 PM
    106Tacoma

106Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 06 Black Sand Pearl 4x4 Every option.
    I like the pure one filters, they keep pressure nice like the old delco filters did.

5. Aug 19, 2007 at 1:19 PM
    Jeff

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Thanks for the comments, seems Redline oil is more $$ in my part of the world, next time I get to a local dealer, I will ask them about getting me a better price on a half/whole case of filters. WallyWorld had some decent prices on syn oil , whether I use Mobil or Castrol.
    I was told that K&N had better filter element but you never know as someone must make K&N's filters for them.

Jeff
    06,6spd, 4x4 , SR5 bone stock.

6. Aug 20, 2007 at 11:41 AM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i would try Mobil 1 syn. i know wally world carries it. im going to use amsoil wich you can only get thru small dealers and its damn near 10 bucks a quart.

7. Aug 20, 2007 at 1:30 PM
    Jeff

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Thats where I buy my oil in general, at WallyWorld, good price on Mobil 1 as my girlfriends Subie has been on it for years. I would hope that I could get approx 6,000 between changes. I usually watch for her oil to just to start to change color and within a 1000miles I change it. Her car has 126K on it.
    I really like the benefits of the syn during the winter and summer heat.
    WallyWorlds price seems to hold steady also.
    Jeff
    06, 6spd, SR5, 4x4 Brilliant Red

8. Aug 21, 2007 at 1:48 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.

Jeff the Man, Lube Master from Hopkinton University. Its a sin to waste money on syn. IMO, Astroglide is the BEST lube out there. Just what the doctor ordered and Gyno certified. Check it out and please convince me I'm wrong. :bananadance:

BTW, you truck is really slow and maybe your brakes are binding. I've already got 21K on mine. You've got to go a little faster so switch to Astroglide . :plane:

9. Aug 21, 2007 at 4:03 PM
    Jeff

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Themaster is THE MAN, finally got a rise out of my friends north of the border. Yes, only 11K on my truck, of course I have not been trucking back and forth building a house, hauling rocks, getting caught in snow drifts etc.
    Just got my girlfriends Subie out of Subie Hospital, in for its timing belt, waterpump, regular belts and Astro oil change. Good for another 70K at least on the belts. However it will need a clutch soon, probably at Christmas when all the other Christmas bills arrive. LOL I did ask our Subie tech guys to change the radiator hoses, as they have 126K on them, the owner told me not to worry as his personal Subie has over 200 with no problem. Amazing. He only has two on stock as he said he they never wear out.
    Hope your work is going well and your washing the TRD Sport once in a while. Nice to hear from you and I am glad to get you out of your office.
    Hope those MapleLeafs regain there once proud status as an original six team. Can't say the same for the B's as they are mired in mis-managment, as a fish rots from the head down. Unless they spend some money, it looks like another 2nd to last finish.

Jeff
    06,6spd, SR5, Brillliant Red, 4x4 bone stock.

10. Aug 22, 2007 at 5:54 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    You are absolutely right, Astroglide is the greatest lube ever, i don't know what i would do without it. I do believe it was developed my NASA for something but got dropped and is now used for other things.....

11. Aug 22, 2007 at 12:31 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Thank You. :amen:

NASA made it for all those orgies they have up in heaven but didn't know how to send it up there. So they dumped it on us for a little bit of heaven. :D Its amazing how Astroglide can get you into a tight spot and a Tacoma's 4LO can get you out of a tight spot. The ultimate combination. :devil:

BTW if "ndcouch" is short for No-Damn-Couch, I ain't watching TV at your place.

12. Aug 22, 2007 at 12:51 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Well its a good thing i didnt invite you over to watch TV then isn't it? besides you're Canadian, and there are only two kinds of people i dont let into my house..... Canadians and Texans, with their cowboy hats and dirty boots and spurs ripping up all my furniture......

actually "ndcouch" was my email at College. first and middle initial and my last name. I use it most forums since its easy to remember. I should come up with something cool though, like "TRD_off_road_black_sand_pearl_V6_double_cab_truck_(with_tow_package)" Thats what i want for my new handle on here, go ahead and make the change 007 ;)

13. Aug 22, 2007 at 6:34 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    BTW, another guy who uses Astroglide is Mr. Bond, 007. How do you think he managed 2000 plus posts. He uses it on his fingers, instead. Poor misguided dude. Dont you think he deserves a little bit of heaven too? :confused:

14. Aug 23, 2007 at 7:30 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    There's nothing wrong with using it on your fingers.... ;) Besides, thats not how 007 got over 2000 posts. He got 2000 posts cause he's a mod now and probably went and changed it. i wouldn't be surprised if he had 35,000 post by tomorrow

15. Aug 24, 2007 at 5:55 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    He can do that? I want to be mod too.

16. Aug 24, 2007 at 7:28 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    The first thing i'm gonna do when i'm a mod is ban 007 from the site and then make all the texans on the site do whatever i say! take that 007! Nobody messes with the Carolina Alliance.... unless we're sitting down, sleepy, drunk, or really interested in a TV show we're watching.... but outside of those times nobody messes with the Alliance!!!

17. Aug 25, 2007 at 11:05 AM
    Mudbug

Mudbug Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amsoil 0w-20 engine oil and Amsoil Full synthetic 75w-90 in the Transmission, transfer case, front and rear Differentials. AFE Cold Air Intake
    nuh uh! Texan right here and i'm just sittin here oiling maw shotgun......:eek: haha actually i'm at work but yeah haha.

18. Aug 25, 2007 at 11:46 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    ......:D......

19. Aug 27, 2007 at 7:30 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Damn it!!! i find a new Texan on this site every day!!! Although i'm not sure your actually from Texas, you called it a shotgun instead of a scattergun. everyone knows that Texans call 'em scatterguns. i bet you're just posing as a texan...

20. Aug 27, 2007 at 10:03 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Guys, this thread is about Astroglide. Where did shot guns come from? So, stop thrashing this thread and get back on subject.

I'm not a mod but working towards being one. How am I doing so far? :confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top