1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Here is a pic of my camber...good or no?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by edavidso, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Dec 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    edavidso

edavidso [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1997 SR5 3.4L 4x4 & 2011 TRD OR DC SB 6Spd 4x
    3" Toytec Lift, Smitty Roll Bar, Push Bar, Nerf Bars, 7 KC 150W, Viper alarm w/ Remote Start, Pioneer CD/MP3, 6 disc changer, Infiniti Speakers, Rhino Lining.
    Guy at the shop said this camber (.5*) was prime for lifted trucks... My concern is tire wear and my tires are loud! (Duratracs shouldn't be too loud). Will 0 camber quiet things down and provide better wear?

Other specs are 2.0 caster and 0 toe. I do have UCA's.

image.jpg

2. Dec 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    camber change to 0 isn't going to effect noise
    caster as 2 isn't "bad" and isn't going to effect noise regardless
    toe at 0 isn't going to effect noise
    its the tires, whats relative to "loud" may be different from person to person.

3. Dec 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Duratracs are louder than stock tires. Generally the more distinct the shoulder tread blocks, the louder the tire. That's why Goodyear makes another tire called the SilentArmor.

4. Dec 14, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Some believe in giving a little positive camber on trucks so that when they get a load it evens out. AFAIK this is mostly a over the road trucking kinda thing but regardless this wouldn't help your front end at all, so really 0* is probably ideal but .5* won't make an appreciable difference. At least that's the only reason I know of to set camber positive. They'll wear fine and they'll be loud.

5. Dec 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Mine wore badly at .7. 5 would certainly be better than that but I'm at .4 both sides now with no uneven wear. And yes, Duratracs are fairly loud. You get a tire with big tread blocks and you'll generally hear more noise. Turn up the radio.

6. Dec 15, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    edavidso

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    3" Toytec Lift, Smitty Roll Bar, Push Bar, Nerf Bars, 7 KC 150W, Viper alarm w/ Remote Start, Pioneer CD/MP3, 6 disc changer, Infiniti Speakers, Rhino Lining.
    Thanks for the input. Yeah I know the tires will definitely be louder than street tires...if i wanted a quiet ride i woulda' bought a buick...but I had KM2's on my other truck and I think these may even be louder, which is why I was wondering about the camber and noise. Great tires nonetheless. I was mainly concerned with wear, but it sounds like the little camber wont affect much...it does look a bit weird to me though...but im overly critical of my truck.

7. Dec 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    edavidso

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE: figured i would post a follow up. just went back to the shop...showed them the tires and how the weren't straight up and down (0* camber). The guy agreed that it wasn't where it should be. They aligned it again. Without the numbers in front if me I can say the allignment was definately the issue. The tires are so much quieter now. Truck rides perfect. No rubbing, no floating. My thought is that the large nut on the UCA wasn't torqued to spec and slid immediately after driving off the lot. I told them to torque it to at least 150ft/lb. (I think spec is 150lb/ft on the new LR UCA's) then asked them to mark with a sharpie the bolt and its place on the UCA so I could monitor if it was sliding in the groove or not. Will see if it holds. I am a bit surprised that SPC doesn't have a washer with teeth or something to keep it from potentially sliding. Nonetheless, I'm happy with the ride, happy with the quietness of the tires now and overall happier with the look. Tires no longer look bent inward. My advise...make sure top ball joint nut is torqued tightly to spec.

Products Discussed in

To Top