Ok, my owners manual is clear as mud, to wit:

4.0 L. V6 (1GR-FE) engine
Four-wheel drive
Oil Capacity (drain and refill),
L (qt., Imp. qt.):

With filter 5.2 (5.5, 4.6)

Can someone please decipher this code for me? TIA
Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Liters (quarts, Imperial quarts).
Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
If you change the the oil and filter at the same time you need 5.5 quarts.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
LDrider is on a distinguished road
LDrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
If you change the the oil and filter at the same time you need 5.5 quarts.
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
Desert Riding Ninja
A.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Graphics Artist
A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
5.5 is what i go with( cuz thats what the manual says), but i couldn't tell anyway, the dipstick has no markings on it, lol.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
5.5 here
Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDrider View Post
Ok, my owners manual is clear as mud, to wit:

Four-wheel drive
L (qt., Imp. qt.):

With filter 5.2 (5.5, 4.6)

Can someone please decipher this code for me? TIA
Four-wheel drive
L (qt., Imp. qt.):

With filter 5.2 L (5.5 quarts, 4.6 Imperial. quarts)
Old 01-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
LDrider is on a distinguished road
LDrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Four-wheel drive
L (qt., Imp. qt.):

With filter 5.2 L (5.5 quarts, 4.6 Imperial. quarts)
Got it, thanks...somebody in technical writing dept likes (parentheses)...
Old 07-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
YOTACO
lynnchpin is on a distinguished road

lynnchpin's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a bit lost on this subject too. Just purchased a Certified Preowned Taco with this exact format we're discussing from a reputable Toyota dealership an hour away from home. To my dismay (and ignorance) I didn't even check the oil level before the purchase Either way, the next day I discovered the crankcase was overfilled, by an inch above the high mark. I went to my local Toyota dealership to record the issue, and change the oil with the proper amount. Once again, if I didn't already learn my lesson the first time I did this time, the oil level was over the high mark Now,I've understood the manual to say 5.5 quarts but the dealership's service manager says they had newly updated info from Toyota to use 4.7 quarts, this is the dealership I made the purchase with...and overfilled by an inch. The dealership at home claimed to use 5.5 and yet still overfilled by 3/8ths of an inch. I emailed Toyota directly with this same scenario and they claim 5.5 is the magic number. I've always changed my own oil, but considering the circumstance I wasn't messing with it. As far as I know the oil pan is the same and there is no damage or modifications to it. I'll change my oil next time and report back what I measure to be exact
Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
i put in 5 quarts, run the engine 30 seconds, let the truck sit for half an hour so everything drains down to the pan, then top it up to the full line. I get a kick out of people who check their oil while at the gas station when the engines been shutoff for 30 seconds, very inaccurate.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I put in a 5 qt jug and then a 1/2 qt and it looks good every time.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
i put in 5 quarts, run the engine 30 seconds, let the truck sit for half an hour so everything drains down to the pan, then top it up to the full line. I get a kick out of people who check their oil while at the gas station when the engines been shutoff for 30 seconds, very inaccurate.
I get a kick out of inaccurate statements and wrong information passed along.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
steve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steve
steve103's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
too much oil this way, the oil should be checked after shut off.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Oil level is based on real world conditions as in going down the road. Allowing drain back results in a lower level while being used. If I was to allow The race car to drain back like suggested with 2 oil coolers I would have to drain 4 quarts of oil to make my level correct. Then I would fry the bearings in the first turn. Shut it off and check it. That's the way it should be done..
Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I usually give it a few minutes to drain back. You don't need 30. Ford recommends 20 for some of their diesels, fwiw, but that doesn't mean you need 20 for the Tacoma. Just saying...

Here is what Toyota says.

With the engine at operating temperature and turned off, check the oil level
on the dipstick.
1. To get a correct reading, the vehicle
should be on level ground. After turning
off the engine, wait a few minutes for
the oil to drain back into the bottom of
the engine.
2. Pull the dipstick out, hold a rag under
the end and wipe it clean.
3. Reinsert the dipstick—push it in as far
as it will go, or the reading will not be
correct.
4. Pull the dipstick out and look at the oil
level while holding a rag under the
end.
CAUTION
Be careful not to touch the hot exhaust manifold.
NOTICE
Be careful not to drop engine oil on
the vehicle components.
If the oil level is below or only slightly
above the low level, add engine oil of
the same type as already in the engine.
Remove the oil filler cap and add engine
oil in small quantities at a time, checking
the dipstick. We recommend that you use
a funnel when adding oil.
The approximate quantity of oil needed to
raise the level between low and full on the
dipstick is indicated as follows:
2.7 L 4−cylinder (2TR−FE) engine
1.3 L (1.4 qt., 1.1 Imp.qt.)
4.0 L V6 (1GR−FE) engine
1.5 L (1.6 qt., 1.3 Imp.qt.)
For the engine oil capacity, see “Service
specifications” on page 403 in Section 8.
When the level reaches within the correct
range, install the filler cap hand−tight.
NOTICE
 Be careful not to spill engine oil on
the vehicle components.
 Avoid overfilling, or the engine
could be damaged.
 Check the oil level on the dipstick
once again after adding the oil.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Not all pans are exactly the same either. My 09 is less than 1/8" under full at 5.0 qt, and at the full mark if I let it sit. My dad's 08 4.0 needed all 5.5 qt.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #20
mbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura aboutmbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Matt
mbrogz3000's Tacoma Gallery
Changed mine myself last week for the first time instead of waiting for 2.5 hours at the dealer.. I poured in 5 quarts, and the oil level appeared in the center of the dipstick but fresh oil is always very hard for me to read. Once it darkens a bit, i'll check it again and determine if its necessary to add the extra 0.5 quart.

I've been using Mobil1 since 5000 miles, and now its at 10000 miles. Used Mobil1 5w-30 + Toyota oil filter. Since I did it myself this time, the ticking sounds like its muffled quite a bit, but I'll be able to tell better when I drive it in some certain areas at work where I expect the sound to reflect.