1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

another cap/camper question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mistaare, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jan 29, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    mistaare

mistaare [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    i HAVE been researching and cannot find my answer.

my cap will be used for alot of camping (which first means a bedrug/cap) but i would eventually like to get a cap/camper tent. so my question has to due to the strenght and weight limits for the caps? around here (pa) i can get a.r.e., leer, and century. i have read numerous pro's and cons for both leer and A.R.E., and havent read much on century's. i know that A.R.E.'s and century have honey comb construction for there roof's but have not been able to find how leer's are constructed. so,,,

1. if you have a tent for the top of you cap can give you give me any feedback for the type of tent/cap combo you run?

2. does anyone know the weigth limits for these caps?

my local dealer suggests century. he said he orders them through the local vendors and the dealer doesnt make a dime on them. ?

2. Jan 29, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    Does this tent go on top of the truck cap, thus making the floor of the tent the roof of the cap?

Any way - Leer uses two layers of single flute cardboard which is soaked in 100% resin to add the ridgedity and strength on the cap. Leer had used tri-cell honeycomb in years past but for reasons I am not aware of changed to the current process. I have seen 4 grown men stand on top of a Leer cap which of course caved in the roof, but popped back to shape immediately after. Although I have sold Leer caps for a decade now I am sure you will find the ARE and Century to be of the same quality.

3. Jan 29, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    I did not know there was a weight restriction on any bed caps????

Edit: ohhh nm I'm stupid, you do want a tent that mounts to the top of a camper top rack.
    this one is bad ass but expensive, check out the site.
    [​IMG]

I have a Bestop canvas top. I use it as a tent/camper/home/keeping the weather out device. With a bedrug it would be awesome!!
    [​IMG]

4. Jan 29, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    mistaare

mistaare [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.
    darkknight,

thats is exactly what i am looking for. a tent that attaches to the top of the camper top racks. i have seen a handful of them, i just want to make sure it wont cave in the top. :D

5. Jan 30, 2009 at 5:06 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    I did not see what the tent actually weighs but it would vary with people/equipment up there. I would think the best thing to do is find the camper top you like that offers the rack attachment then call the manufacturer to get a weight rating for the rack that is mounted to the cap.

Products Discussed in

To Top