LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5100's @.85" or 5100's @ 0" & Eibach Coils??

Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
cverneau is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
cverneau's Tacoma Gallery
5100's @.85" or 5100's @ 0" & Eibach Coils??

I've been here a while and read all of the threads with regards to leveling the front. I'm just looking for opinions as I still can't decide which way to go - I've got a stock 2011 AC 4x4 4 cyl. automatic.

5100's set at 0.85 with stock coils = 0.85" lift

or

5100's set at 0 with Eibach coils = 1.6" lift

Are 5100's set at 0 with OME 883'S OR 884'S also an option, and if so, what height would they give??

I did have the rear TSB done about a year ago.

Here's where I can't decide - I do sometimes use the truck as a truck. I do load it up at Home Depot and haul firewood a few times a year. I like the stance now with the ass end up (a little too much, though) due to it just about leveling out when it's loaded, however I don't mind the front end being higher when hauling as it's only done a few times a year.
This is my daily driver and I do not off-road.

Will the eibach's settle somewhat from the original 1.6" of lift??
Does pre-loading the stock coils to 0.85 give a fairly harsh ride??

I DO NOT want to level the truck. I would like to get close to level, but I do want to keep the ass end higher than the front.

So....how is the ride using stock springs at 0.85 compared to Eibach at 0?? OME 883'S or 884's??

Some opinions and pictures would be great...
Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
I was in your same position a little while ago. I went with Eibach's and the 5100's set at zero. Very happy I didn't go with anything less. With the TSB in the rear my rear now sits maybe a hair less than 1/2" higher than my front. Looks almost level. Check my build page by clicking my sig below. Otherwise here are a couple pics...

The ride is more solid or firm, but I wouldn't really say it is stiff at all. Couldn't be happier really. Let me know if you have any other specific questions about it.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
How much lift are you actually trying to get?

Since you have a 4 cylinder, the amount of lift and the end result of the lift will be different. With Eibach coils, the 1.6" of lift was on a V6 double cab 4x4, you will get more lift than that. I would avoid Eibach coils on a 4 banger unless you like a rough ride. They are a stiff coil, even on the V6 (I have them myself).

You certainly can use OME 883 or 884 coils. On a V6, they give you about 1.5 and 2" of lift respectively, on a 4 cylinder, add a little more. I'm not sure how much additional lift you'll get with the lighter front end, maybe someone with that lift will chime in.

With 5100's set at .85, the ride will firm up slightly but it will not be bad at all. If you start preloading up to 2.5", that's when you'll start noticing a rough ride and even some people say it's not bad. I would caution you with preloading TRD Off Road coils, they are progressive and get stiff in a hurry when preloaded. The SR5 and TRD Sport coils are linear and take the preloading better.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Pugga's right, with your set up (4 cyl access) I would expect a little more height in the front than me. Doubt you would have much rake if any with the Eibach's. My only issue with the 0.85 lift was whether or not I would regret not having lifted it more once I went that route.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
SUB'D

Looking for the same set up with a very good, close to stock ride.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #6

Quote:
I would caution you with preloading TRD Off Road coils, they are progressive and get stiff in a hurry when preloaded. The SR5 and TRD Sport coils are linear and take the preloading better.
With a 4x4 base model, what coils do I have - linear or progressive??

Quote:
I went with Eibach's and the 5100's set at zero. Very happy I didn't go with anything less. With the TSB in the rear my rear now sits maybe a hair less than 1/2" higher than my front. Looks almost level.
I notice yours is a double cab, where mine's an AC. I have to assume yours is a heavier front end to compress more.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cverneau View Post
With a 4x4 base model, what coils do I have - linear or progressive??
You have linear coils. Only the TRD Off Road has the progressive coils.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
You have linear coils. Only the TRD Off Road has the progressive coils.
I've been leaning towards compressing the stock to the 0.85 setting as it would give a little bit of lift while retaining the ass-high look when hauling stuff. Add to that the additional benefit of minimal messing with the CV angles, and this seems better in the long run. I'm not looking for any specific height, I just want to make it so the ass doesn't look totally jacked as it has since the TSB was done.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
jrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
jrzyshore's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is set at .85 with the Eibach coils and still sits a little ass high with the TSB add a leaf. Mine is a double cab so it is heavier and the rear had settled a little over time. I have had the lift on just over a year.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #10

I also just realized I wouldn't need the driver side spacer for the lean by compressing the stock coils (as long as I don't mix them up when installing). I think this setup with the addition of 265/75R16 tires (as opposed to the 245's currently on it) would be a decent stance.

I'll wait and see what others have to say here....
Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
jrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrzyshore is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cverneau View Post
I also just realized I wouldn't need the driver side spacer for the lean by compressing the stock coils (as long as I don't mix them up when installing). I think this setup with the addition of 265/75R16 tires (as opposed to the 245's currently on it) would be a decent stance.

I'll wait and see what others have to say here....
The shock is adjustable not the spring so you would still need the spacer on the driver side for the lean. Unless you go with an adjustable coil over then you would adjust the top of the spring with a spanner wrench.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #12

Quote:
The shock is adjustable not the spring so you would still need the spacer on the driver side for the lean. Unless you go with an adjustable coil over then you would adjust the top of the spring with a spanner wrench.
I thought the stock springs were different lengths (driver side longer than passenger) to make up for this already?? At least that's what I've read on her before...
Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyshore View Post
He was correct the way he stated it, you don't need the lean spacer when using stock coils...
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphex View Post
^^^
Are you saying 2011's don't have factory lean?
No, all the Tacomas seem to lean a little bit. But, when you use aftermarket coils that aren't side specific, the lean gets exaggerated and you need to use a spacer on the driver's side to compensate. When you preload the stock coils, the coils are still kept on the correct side so at the worst, you'll retain whatever factory lean you had to begin with but it won't get worse as it can with aftermarket coils.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #17

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
He was correct the way he stated it, you don't need the lean spacer when using stock coils...
Yeah I missed the stock part.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with the 5100's @ .85 and leave the stock coils.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #20
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
5100s on 0 and 884x coils, heres te link. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...pic-heavy.html

went with the 5100s and set them at 1.75 in front with no tsb in back

Added a 1 1/2 AAL in the back

Then the finished product with the OME 884X coils and the 5100s set on 0

(just out of the garage)

Measurments BEFORE @ 1.75

from center of hub to fender
Front driver: 21 3/4
Front passenger: 21 3/4
Rear Driver: 22 1/4
Rear passenger: 22 1/4

AFTER Measurments

Front driver. 22 7/8
Front passenger: 22 6/8
Rear Driver: 23 3/8
Rear Passenger: 23 3/8

Ride is way better with the 884s and the 5100s at 0 than the 5100s set at 1.75. Much cushier now and it makes speed bumps seem like nothing ...lol