whats the best mud tire in the snow?

View Poll Results: The best mud tire for snow
goodyear duratrac 89 58.55%
copper STT 7 4.61%
BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 31 20.39%
another brand. if so please list 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
hoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to beholdhoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to beholdhoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to beholdhoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to beholdhoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to beholdhoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to beholdhoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to behold
hoodratstormtroop's Tacoma Gallery
whats the best mud tire in the snow?

1. copper STT
2. BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
3.goodyear duratrac
4. another brand
Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs are pretty good for that

Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
hoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to beholdhoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to beholdhoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to beholdhoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to beholdhoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to beholdhoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to beholdhoodratstormtroop is a splendid one to behold
thanks for the info, since im moving to tahoe i need a good snow tire!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodratstormtroop View Post
thanks for the info, since im moving to tahoe i need a good snow tire!
Gotcha! Well definitely look at the duratrac or other snowflake rated tires so you dont have to chain up when they have restrictions around the lake and on the passes!
Other snowflake rated tires that come to mind(but less agressive) are BFG AT, Hankook AT-M, and General Grabber AT2 (all up to load D. Load E are not snowflake rated, but who wants E tires on a midsize truck anyways!?)

Check out the Reno BS thread too if interested in joining in meets, mod days, and 4x4 trips You'll only be an hour away tops
Old 12-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
thanks buddy- im defiantly going with the goodyear opposed to the BF KM2. for damn sure reno is only an hour away and has some incredible trails
Old 12-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Here are a couple pics from Tahoe 12/17 today actually. I have Fierce Attitude Mts and they are beasts in the snow. Made by Goodyear actually.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Duratracs come siped, and I heard terrible things about km2s and ice/snow. For all terrain tires with an aggressive look everyone said duratracs were the best. They are pricey but you definitely get what you pay for. Mine are load C
Old 12-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
lol Eric was sliding all over the place in 4wd with his KM2s aired down. I follow him in 2wd on my all terrains without slipping a tire. I'd rather have duratracs though.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:10 AM   #14
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Here are a couple pics from Tahoe 12/17 today actually. I have Fierce Attitude Mts and they are beasts in the snow. Made by Goodyear actually.

no warranty kind of kills those for me...
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
no warranty kind of kills those for me...
Hmmm my local shop does, maybe just a local thing?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #16
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
My old Hankook MT tires were bitching in the snow..I had 3 sets before I moved on to my generals. Overall the hankooks were great except for how fast they wore out..

Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #17
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone actually know why mud tires are bad for snow? Less the tread pattern, it's softer rubber, and will get hard when it freezes....duratracs suck, just like most tires do in snow, I have them and drive in snow everyday and they're no better or worse than other tires I've had.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #18
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
My old Hankook MT tires were bitching in the snow..I had 3 sets before I moved on to my generals. Overall the hankooks were great except for how fast they wore out..

My Hankook MT's cleared our mushy coastal snow pretty well too
Old 12-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #19
mbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura aboutmbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Matt
mbrogz3000's Tacoma Gallery
Are those duratracs the "Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac"? Sounds like these are the way to go for a basic tire upgrade.

I'm making due with the factory tires for now to try and get 2 years out of them. The factory tires are aweful, the smallest amount of moisture on the ground makes the truck feel like it has 25% of the normal dry road adhesion, and totally kills any type of panic braking confidence.

Snow example - The road conditions during that Oct snow storm which I believe in my area had a base layer of ice with snow on top (and no salt/sand at all). the slightest amount of throttle made my rear 'waggle' a bit in 2wd...at that point I put on the 4wd, and this was traveling on a highway at 15-20mph safely behind other cars. This slipping went away in 4wd. These tires still have plenty of tread left too.

Light rain on grass example - Then this past weekend, I'm slowly moving some small split firewood piles to my main firewood pile using my truck in 4wd and there is a gradual mist/rain occuring. I've done this before while my yard (which has minor grades) was dry and there was no slip at all, but with slightly a moist ground I could tell my wheels were spinning on top of the grass before I got moving. Luckily I didn't tear up my lawn anywhere , but I had to resort to using the wheelbarrow to finish the job as the light misting continued (it was more work-efficient too even though I personally had to work harder). The factory tires are just terrible, and I can't believe they are legal. Dry pavement they are acceptable at best. I'm sure they are terrible on rocks or any type of wet trail.

Anyone else have similiar feelings with the factory BF goodriches?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
Blygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Blygy's Tacoma Gallery
I am running duratracs with studs. These things are insane. I go places in 2WD just for shits and giggles to see if I can. Rarely do I need 4WD anymore.

I have tried Toyo AT in the past and BFG AT. They don't compare to the Duratracs.